Recycled paper for fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Two builds in progress and ... It's a little silly, sure- but why not reuse old paper for papering fins? Never done it before but I figure it's going to be covered by primer so why not reuse that cover sheet/misprint/first draft..?
Also: is there any reason NOT to paper plywood? I'm sure it's strong enough but it seems like it should be less tedious than CWF and less stinky than dope.

It has worked for me to use old used paper. Your rocket won't care if there is printing on it since it will get primer and paint over it anyway. I've never tried it on plywood though. It seems like more work than just sanding and priming.

This is - at least partially- to practice papering and see if I like it, because I have a balsa-fin MPR project that I want to paper and I wanted to get the hang of it.
...and I really like it. Also the Elmer's Purple school glue stick is great (goes on purple, dries clear) because you can see if you have good coverage.

I papered the plywood rear fins on my Gabriel III/AS Build. They came out fine.
I was using a very thin plywood, so adding a little rigidity was not going to hurt anything. I did not feel like filling the grain, and had not yet learned the way of the lightweight glass cloth.

As far as recycled paper? I've tried to bring myself to use it, but could not.

Last edited:
I usually used whatever old, leftover paper was onhand. Many of the packing slips from BMS or eRockets have become part of the rockets themselves, though most recently I used Walmart receipts for papering a Semroc Cherokee-C.

Back