Raven4 Interface Greyed Out?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I've linked up my Raven 4 to the computer and instead of letting me configure, the interface remains greyed out.

I also happen to get an error when trying to quit the program. This is very unusual so any help would be appreciated.

IMG_6643.jpegIMG_6644.jpeg

Last edited:
I've attempted on more than one occasion to program one of my Raven's without it being powered on. My dog hates the beeps so I turn it on at the last minute, but sometimes I forget and then it takes me a moment to figure out what's going on.

Tony

Yes, I do.
Looking at your screens, it does not appear that the Raven is communicating with the FIP software. I had a similar situation recently due to the USB cable I was using. It turns out that a lot of Micro-USB cables are wired really just for charging, and don't correctly pass data. Of the 4 cables I tried, only 1 worked as a data cable – and of course it was the last one I tried. I was convinced my altimeter was bad. I confirmed this with an another device I have that uses Micro-USB to pass data – the cables did not work with that device either.

I would try another cable that you know will pass data. Once connected you should see the "Live Data" area of the first screen update with data sent from your altimeter.

I hope this helps.

Tony

Looking at your screens, it does not appear that the Raven is communicating with the FIP software. I had a similar situation recently due to the USB cable I was using. It turns out that a lot of Micro-USB cables are wired really just for charging, and don't correctly pass data. Of the 4 cables I tried, only 1 worked as a data cable – and of course it was the last one I tried. I was convinced my altimeter was bad. I confirmed this with an another device I have that uses Micro-USB to pass data – the cables did not work with that device either.

I would try another cable that you know will pass data. Once connected you should see the "Live Data" area of the first screen update with data sent from your altimeter.

I hope this helps.

Tony

Tony, I've tried multiple cables and the issue still stands. It is worth noting that the first row of live data is indeed updating and can also be verified by listening in with a serial monitor on the COM port.

It really is a strange issue and I'm considering if the firmware on the board may be the cause.

Tony, I've tried multiple cables and the issue still stands. It is worth noting that the first row of live data is indeed updating and can also be verified by listening in with a serial monitor on the COM port.

It really is a strange issue and I'm considering if the firmware on the board may be the cause.
The live data grid to the right of flight data doesn't seem to show anything. Also strange since the board if effectively brand new and hasn't been used ever.

Last edited:
Here's a thread that may help:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/featherweight-raven-4-connectivity-issue-in-fip.165235/
It has a link to updated drivers.

And even though you have tried multiple cables, don't give up yet on that issue. I just checked, and of the 6 cables I have, only 1 works as a data cable. I now have them all labeled. The problem I had is many devices use micro USB to charge batteries and nothing else – so nearly all the cables I have came with devices as charging cables, and I assumed they would work as data cables. Either verify with another device that the cable you are using is indeed a data cable, or purchase a new cable that is marked for data.

Another issue I've had is there may be a dialog box hidden behind the main window, waiting for you to dismiss it before continuing. You many try using the Alt-Tab shortcut to jump between programs and see if the dialog pops up when you jump back to FIP. (Most often for me it is the Windows 'Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer...' dialog box that ends up hidden behind the main window.) Sometimes just moving the main window to the extreme right or left will reveal a hidden dialog.

And of course, try uninstalling the software, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, and then connecting the Raven. As described in the thread I linked to above, Microsoft has made major changes in the way USB drivers are handled in both Windows 10 and 11, which has caused a significant amount of grief for devices that used to just reliably connect and communicate.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Tony

Here's a thread that may help:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/featherweight-raven-4-connectivity-issue-in-fip.165235/
It has a link to updated drivers.

And even though you have tried multiple cables, don't give up yet on that issue. I just checked, and of the 6 cables I have, only 1 works as a data cable. I now have them all labeled. The problem I had is many devices use micro USB to charge batteries and nothing else – so nearly all the cables I have came with devices as charging cables, and I assumed they would work as data cables. Either verify with another device that the cable you are using is indeed a data cable, or purchase a new cable that is marked for data.

Another issue I've had is there may be a dialog box hidden behind the main window, waiting for you to dismiss it before continuing. You many try using the Alt-Tab shortcut to jump between programs and see if the dialog pops up when you jump back to FIP. (Most often for me it is the Windows 'Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer...' dialog box that ends up hidden behind the main window.) Sometimes just moving the main window to the extreme right or left will reveal a hidden dialog.

And of course, try uninstalling the software, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, and then connecting the Raven. As described in the thread I linked to above, Microsoft has made major changes in the way USB drivers are handled in both Windows 10 and 11, which has caused a significant amount of grief for devices that used to just reliably connect and communicate.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Tony
Thanks for the tips.

I've tried updating the drivers, reinstalling FIP, rebooting my computer, and swapping out the cables (also using ones that have been used to transfer data in the past). I'm afraid none of those have ended in fruition.

Here's what I get back from the COM port with a serial monitor, which leads me to believe there is some communication going on:

1683569095992.png

Hmm. At this point if you haven’t already tried with another computer, I would say that’s your next best step. It will rule out your computer being the issue. If you have the same issue, it’s more likely either still a cable or the altimeter itself. You haven’t listed any specs for your computer, but if it’s Windows 11 try to find one with Windows 10.

If you don’t have access to another computer for testing, then try running the FIP in Windows 7 compatibility mode, or make a new account on your computer and try that.

Don’t give up yet!

Tony

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

I've tried updating the drivers, reinstalling FIP, rebooting my computer, and swapping out the cables (also using ones that have been used to transfer data in the past). I'm afraid none of those have ended in fruition.

Here's what I get back from the COM port with a serial monitor, which leads me to believe there is some communication going on:

View attachment 579499
nasheed-x --

Looks like you've got a Data Cable to me :)

If you're running Win10 or Win11, maybe try running FIP as administrator ?

That's what I had to do on my Win10 VMWare Guest ...

HTH

-- kjh

Thanks for the tips.

View attachment 579499
You definitely have a data cable, and the Raven is working well enough to pass reasonable-looking data. Something strange is going on with the FIP installation. I agree with Tony, try loading the FIP onto another computer.

Also, if you haven't already done this yet, try starting up the FIP, powering the Raven, and then plugging it into USB in that order. A dialog box should pop up saying that a Raven has been plugged in.

You definitely have a data cable, and the Raven is working well enough to pass reasonable-looking data. Something strange is going on with the FIP installation. I agree with Tony, try loading the FIP onto another computer.

Also, if you haven't already done this yet, try starting up the FIP, powering the Raven, and then plugging it into USB in that order. A dialog box should pop up saying that a Raven has been plugged in.
Thanks Adrian,

Unfortunately no luck with a different computer.

Following the steps you've highlighted does prompt a message that say the Raven has been plugged in. Following through, however, still leads to a greyed out interface with only some of the live data updating.

1683622552439.png1683622575861.png

I see you're located in the Emirates. It's a bit of a long shot, but try setting the localization settings on your Windows installation to "English / United States", if you haven't already. This can affect how your software parses things like dots and semicolons in your data.

Reinhard

I see you're located in the Emirates. It's a bit of a long shot, but try setting the localization settings on your Windows installation to "English / United States", if you haven't already. This can affect how your software parses things like dots and semicolons in your data.

Reinhard
Hey I don't mind trying that out...

Update: I think my localization settings aren't the issue as they were already set to the United States and US English.

Last edited:

Is there a way to verify that there is no underlying issue with the Raven firmware on the board?

Is there a way to verify that there is no underlying issue with the Raven firmware on the board?
When FIP first connects, it wants to ask the Raven about it's configuration and flight data. It appears to be hung on that so not proceeding. Let me see if I can find what commands it is sending and see if you can reproduce those in your COM interface program.

When FIP first connects, it wants to ask the Raven about it's configuration and flight data. It appears to be hung on that so not proceeding. Let me see if I can find what commands it is sending and see if you can reproduce those in your COM interface program.
That would be very helpful, thank you.

Ok, first you get the "cheat codes" for getting a debug output window.... [this has never been published before... :-]

Hold down the CTRL and SHIFT key when you click on FIP to start it. Windows will ask if you want to start it in Administrator mode. Continue to hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys and click 'Yes'. You will then be prompted for a file to open. Click Cancel for that (and you can now release the CTRL+SHIFT keys). You should then have both the normal FIP window and one that looks like a DOS window.

In this screen shot here below, I started FIP with the altimeter already connected and then used Altimeter> Connect to connect to it. The first couple lines of "Checking status... and "connecting..." will be slightly different if you start FIP and then connect the altimeter, but... the key thing is after connecting, FIP tries to send some commands to get the version, build date and register data for configuration and what flights are saved.

It has been a while since I looked at this, but it looks like it sets bank 0 and then issues a wait command (w). Then it issues a D command to download bank zero data.

Let me/us know if you can get the debug window to work and what the behavior is that you are seeing.

Thanks!

1683641460161.png

Ok, first you get the "cheat codes" for getting a debug output window.... [this has never been published before... :-]

Hold down the CTRL and SHIFT key when you click on FIP to start it. Windows will ask if you want to start it in Administrator mode. Continue to hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys and click 'Yes'. You will then be prompted for a file to open. Click Cancel for that (and you can now release the CTRL+SHIFT keys). You should then have both the normal FIP window and one that looks like a DOS window.

In this screen shot here below, I started FIP with the altimeter already connected and then used Altimeter> Connect to connect to it. The first couple lines of "Checking status... and "connecting..." will be slightly different if you start FIP and then connect the altimeter, but... the key thing is after connecting, FIP tries to send some commands to get the version, build date and register data for configuration and what flights are saved.

It has been a while since I looked at this, but it looks like it sets bank 0 and then issues a wait command (w). Then it issues a D command to download bank zero data.

Let me/us know if you can get the debug window to work and what the behavior is that you are seeing.

Thanks!

View attachment 579624
1683643291990.png
1683643271160.png

This is a pretty exciting process, thanks for giving me these "cheat codes."
I've managed to pull up the monitor and it looks like it's constantly repeating the WriteCommand[D]

I've managed to pull up the monitor and it looks like it's constantly repeating the WriteCommand[D]

ok, that means it isn't finding something in the response that it is looking for, but it is encouraging that the altimeter is responding with what looks like possibly reasonable results. I'm about to head out for vacation tomorrow but if we can't figure it out before then, then I'll take the source with me and have some morning coffee time to look into it more.

==> when do you plan on flying this Raven?

ok, that means it isn't finding something in the response that it is looking for, but it is encouraging that the altimeter is responding with what looks like possibly reasonable results. I'm about to head out for vacation tomorrow but if we can't figure it out before then, then I'll take the source with me and have some morning coffee time to look into it more.

==> when do you plan on flying this Raven?
Mid June, at Spaceport for the SA Cup. Although, to be safe, we're probably going to put in an order for another off-the-shelf altimeter.

Mid June, at Spaceport for the SA Cup. Although, to be safe, we're probably going to put in an order for another off-the-shelf altimeter.
Could you do me a favor and do the same thing as above, but then go to the upper left of the dos window and click on the icon and then do Edit> Select all and then Edit> Copy and send me that text? I'll see if I can figure out what it is not interpreting right... Thanks! If you need to send it in email, send it to "small at here-and-beyond .com"

1683726243230.png

Here's the file if anyone else wants to poke around.

it looks like bank 0 (which is calibration and deployment settings) is still blank. I think that is causing it to get into a loop of trying to re-read bank 0 hoping for a better answer. After I get back from vacation, I'll need to get you more information so that it should program it with the default settings.

it looks like bank 0 (which is calibration and deployment settings) is still blank. I think that is causing it to get into a loop of trying to re-read bank 0 hoping for a better answer. After I get back from vacation, I'll need to get you more information so that it should program it with the default settings.
I had a feeling one of the banks did not contain the "right" data. Good to know you've roughly pinned it down.

Back