Question on "glossing up" before decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeWain

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What are the favorite techniques for folks on this forum for "glossing up" a model with flat paint prior to applying decals. As most of you know, decals will "silver" when applied over flat paint. I have a model (the Sirius Refit USS Atlantis) that I used flat paint on because I wanted a particular shade a grey that I found with Model Master's flat spray.

There is a lot of surface area on this model that will have decals applied. Do you recommend:

- Future floor wax
- Krylon Crystal Clear gloss
- Microscale Microgloss
- er what?

I plan on "dulling down" the model again after the decals are set.

DeWain

I just never use flat paint , I don't even own a can of flat paint

I gloss everything than dullcote if it should be flat
you can use krylon gloss , it won't react with dullcote

What are the favorite techniques for folks on this forum for "glossing up" a model with flat paint prior to applying decals. As most of you know, decals will "silver" when applied over flat paint. I have a model (the Sirius Refit USS Atlantis) that I used flat paint on because I wanted a particular shade a grey that I found with Model Master's flat spray.

There is a lot of surface area on this model that will have decals applied. Do you recommend:

- Future floor wax
- Microscale Microgloss
- er what?

DeWain

I use a glossy paint first, then decal, then use a dull clear coat (such as the one made by Testors). Works well for me.

- Future floor wax
- Microscale Microgloss
- er what?

DeWain

I would probably use option #2 you have listed..Shoot it with a gloss clear coat, apply the decals followed by dullcote..That is what I will eventually do when I get around to building my USS Enterprise rocket..

Let us know which way you go and how it turns out..

I just never use flat paint , I don't even own a can of flat paint

I gloss everything than dullcote if it should be flat
you can use krylon gloss , it won't react with dullcote

In most cases ditto for me also Dewain:
I'll find gloss paints in the color(s) needed the dullcoat the model or portion of the model After decaling to get the flat, matte or semi-gloss finish needed.
I do own a can or two of flat black but if used...No decals are attempted:)

He said that he already painted it in flat colors so the advice to paint with gloss colors will help on future projects but he's looking for advice on what to do with the one already painted.

I'm not sure what is compatable with Model Masters paint (I believe they have both an enamel line and an acrylic line) but if Model Masters has a clear gloss, I would go with that.

That would be easy, wouldn't it?

Simply apply a coat of Future Floor Polish, add decals, and then add your matte clear coating. That way, you have a barrier between the original matte and the decals, hence, no "silvering".

Lots of good advice, folks. Oh... and yes, Bob is right... the rocket in question is already painted. The Model Master paint that I used was enamel. Since it is a large model, I'll try to use the Krylon Crystal Clear to gloss it up.

I try to use gloss paints most of the time, but if you want a thin paint for a complex model with details (and avoid drips and sags), flat paint is much easier. Flat black covers sooo nice.

Ironically, the paint I used on the Refit Atlantis wasn't really the color that I wanted. I wanted more of a plain light grey (like the Star Trek USS Enterprise), and the Model Master Camoflage Grey is more a pewter grey (beige-grey). After pondering painting the model over again, I have decided to convince myself that this really is the best color after all. Oddly enough, it's almost exacly the same exact color that I just finished painting the back porch on my house (I didn't use Model Master on the porch).

Thanks,
DeWain

Lots of good advice, folks. Oh... and yes, Bob is right... the rocket in question is already painted. The Model Master paint that I used was enamel. Since it is a large model, I'll try to use the Krylon Crystal Clear to gloss it up.

If it's enamel, Rustoleum makes a Crytal Clear Enamel that I have used many times. The Krylon is a Crystal Clear Acrylic.

The Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic should work fine with the enamel to gloss it up for the decals. For dulling after the decals, then you can use the Krylon Crystal Clear Matte finish spray. I find their Matte spray dulls every bit as well as Dullcote, but seems to not have as much of a tendancy to yellow over time as Dullcote.

Back