Question about open rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnityLover

Reaction score
For some reason, it says it will only go 12 meters? I think its backwards somehow, as apparently the main tube is open in the front, but theres a nose cone?

Attachments

• cool rocket.ork
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
Yes, the entire rocket is backwards. In addition to the indications that you've already mentioned, if you look at the component tree:
1693583886843.png
You'll see that the body tube is listed before the nose cone. The list is in order from front to back.

Also, in the nose cone configuration itself:
1693584023266.png

This rocket appears to have been consciously entered backwards, for whatever reason. Where did you get it?

Attachments

• 1693583997198.png
    1693583997198.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes, the entire rocket is backwards. In addition to the indications that you've already mentioned, if you look at the component tree:
View attachment 601399
You'll see that the body tube is listed before the nose cone. The list is in order from front to back.

Also, in the nose cone configuration itself:
View attachment 601401

This rocket appears to have been consciously entered backwards, for whatever reason. Where did you get it?
I was trying to put the nose cone on, but it was on the wrong side. I thought flip was just visual.

I just fixed it, but now it says high angle of attack, and it only goes to 60 meters. I have a smaller kit rocket that runs on A motors, and it goes around 550 feet on a10-4t (I use a3-4ts, but from what I know, they go similar heights. My guess is 500 feet.) This uses B6-4s and is a DIY rocket. I have the body and fins and nose cone, and the parachute is coming, rubber band as shock cord, and the engine mount will be made soon. Is the angle of attack slowing it down, or is it just too heavy (its around the same weight as the smaller one, since no plastic parts) and bad and poorly made that it wont go as high as a smaller, weaker rocket?

Attachments

• cool rocket.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Rocket is unstable. Rear fins are too small and front fins are too large.
1693592690596.png

A good way to start out with OR is to open one of the example rockets and use that as a starting point (File -> Open Example).

I see. I can take off the front fins, but that won't help much, right?
It will help quite a bit, but not enough to achieve stability. Those rear fins are very small and not even at the back of the rocket. With big enough rear fins you could leave the front fins in place.

Before actually building something like this, though (if you were planning to), the model needs to be made more realistic. Fins are set to "cardboard", there are no centering rings, etc. If you just want to get a functioning flight sim right now you don't need to do that, just need to achieve stability (stability margin around +1 caliber, plus or minus). Move the CP back and/or the CG forward to achieve it (although given your current fin arrangement you definitely want to move CP back.)

It's easy enough to experiment in the program, just try stuff and see what effect it has. You can always Undo (ctrl-Z).

Back