Question about a Ellis Mountain Rocket Works I400

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus_rockets

Reaction score
Well I just picked up this motor and just want to make sure I can safely fly it. Its a Ellis mountain rocket works I400-15 with a 1.5 sec burn. What method has anyone used to retain the motor since it does not have a thrust ring in the back. I don't see a date or anything about the certification of this motor, is it still legal to fly. And anyone have experience with these motors and do they have any reputation of cato's?

Rocketry060.jpg

Rocketry059.jpg

Rocketry061.jpg

Rocketry062.jpg

Rocketry063.jpg

Ellis Mountain motors are no longer certified. I believe you can launch decertified (due to age) motors at specific events set up for that purpose only. Anyone correct me on that? Can you fly them at TRA Research launches?

Use tape as a thrust ring. It worked fine on the 2 Ellis K600 I had. Some had trouble with them (CATOs) but the 2 that I flew were awesome. I flew my last Ellis K600 at an EX launch in July of 2009.

Use tape as a thrust ring. It worked fine on the 2 Ellis K600 I had. Some had trouble with them (CATOs) but the 2 that I flew were awesome. I flew my last Ellis K600 at an EX launch in July of 2009.

someone recently flew a P motor with masking tape thrust rings.

Awesome motor! Ellis Mountain is on my motor bucket list!

Braden

Uhoh. Lot 106? That one was ba. Please put in a tightly sealed baggy until I can come by to pick it up.

Thanks

Kvin

Fly it with electronics. Don't rely on that delay to be right.

Man I wish someone would pick up that company and start making motors again. I would love to fly that H275 again. Thor's Hammer propellant RULES.

a trick i learned with Ellis motors is to insert the igniter all the way in, then pull it back about a inch or so. where others had CATO issues with the I69 i never had one pop

It's a trick used with long motors ( for softer start up) and also Silver Streaks.....

JD

a trick i learned with Ellis motors is to insert the igniter all the way in, then pull it back about a inch or so. where others had CATO issues with the I69 i never had one pop

Thanks to all for the replies, I will try the tape thrust ring and the igniter trick.

Where do you find these motors? As much as the discussion in the Bare Necessities thread and others may have implied the opposite, I do like me some long-burns now and again...

There was an SSS member at our GHS launch selling off all his stuff. I bought an Ellis Mountain H48-8 single use from him pretty cheap. 4.4 sec. burn time!

There was an SSS member at our GHS launch selling off all his stuff. I bought an Ellis Mountain H48-8 single use from him pretty cheap. 4.4 sec. burn time!

Finders fee for Ellis long burns- serious as a heart attack-PM me. I can use any of them as long as they don't have the platinum delay retainer or the 24k gold case liners....and yeah-sure do miss him-somebody could make bank on his long burn stuff. If you doubt it-look at all the alt records his motors set.

Back