Quaker Oats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judo

Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a itch to build a short and stubby out of a Quaker Oats box and the 3 trapezoidal fins I salvaged from my PML Ariel. But that's all I've got!

I'm looking for some input on centering rings, stuffer tubes, a nose cone, things like that. The first thing I noticed was I need to overcome the rim that strengthens the whole thing. If I cut it off of the top I weaken it.

Anyway, it's an idea. So, can anyone hook-a-brother-up?

Thanks as always,

James

From what material? And what size motor mount?

Im working on an oatmeal tube based rocket right now. I have built a 5 1/2 foot tall rocket out of oatmeal tubes before. it has a 54mm motor mount. I used a jigsaw to make the rough shape of the centering rings, and then I used a bolt through the center of them and spun them on a drill and used sandpaper to turn them down to the final diameter. It took a long time to make, but it worked. I just ordered a hole cutter for a drill press to make the next ones, others have had good success with that for centering rings. I made the nosecone out of foam, spun it in the drill and got it to the right shape with a knife and sandpaper, then fiberglassed over it.

Originally posted by Judo
From what material? And what size motor mount?

I usually use plywood. The thickness depends upon the size of the rocket and the motors I'm going to fly it on. I've used anything from 2mm thick for mid power up to 8mm thick for HPR clusters. (Not that I've ever built or flown an HPR cluster, but I have cut centering rings for one.)

Judo:
If your going to power your Oat's box express with D12's or under, (I'd do a 4 C6 cluster myself) I'd use nothing more then Cardstock centering rings. with Clear .030 Lexan fins. and nothing more then the reinforced box lid. going wth the flying foods line of odd-rocs.
Here's one thats similar the flys just fine on C's. I Might just have to join you I have one of these boxes sitting on a shelf waiting for the spirit to move me:)

156a-sm_listerine kicker_odd-roc_06-10-94.jpg

I'm glad this question came up - I too have a sizeable (and growing!) collection of these oats cannisters, as well as some grits cannisters that are about the same size!

WW

I'm thinking of making of Roadkill's 29mm drain parts mounts just to make sure the darn thing is never under powered.

Judo:
A single Quaker Oats box is only about 4"dia by 7-1/8" I'm gonna use the bottom of the box as the bottom centering ring with the back from a lined paper pad for the forward ring and line inside the plastic cap. .030 clear lexan fins and what every 4 or 5 stuffer tubes are needed for the final 4 or 5 motor configuration (still trying to decide single 24mm with 4 - 18mm or 2 - 24mm with 2 18mm????. but hey that just mrcluster doing his thing.... I don't think this model would need a 29mm motor mount, It'd probly fly fine in a 18mm mount, i'm sure on a single D12 would be a fine flight that everyone could watch and follow. certainly no more underpowered the outlander:)
As I mentioned earlier I'll likely cluster mine but that's only because I LOVE clustering:D

Back