Public Mea Culpa - I Was Wrong!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_650

Reaction score
In the grand scheme of online hobby rocketry I’m a very tiny fish - maybe at the plankton level? But I have made a fair number of thread posts here, on YORF and FB. In many past posts I’ve stated multiple times we’ll never see the return of the “classic” mid-2000s PSII kits like Leviathan, Partizon, Argent and…Ventris. My logic has been Estes would never sell kits again that builders can’t fly on Estes motors but here’s what appears to be proof I was wrong - next week it looks like the #9701 Ventris is coming back…of course, the one PSII kit I have multiples of on hand!

Attachments

• BE958BA7-689F-4EF6-A5E4-2881087C8D6D.jpeg
    BE958BA7-689F-4EF6-A5E4-2881087C8D6D.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
I think the key is that Estes is back to being run by hobbyists, and not people with little to no interest or experience in rocketry.

Lots of companies make money selling rockets that they don't sell motors for. Estes branching out into larger kits just helps them retain those customers who choose to advance beyond low power.

-Kevin

In the grand scheme of online hobby rocketry I’m a very tiny fish - maybe at the plankton level? But I have made a fair number of thread posts here, on YORF and FB. In many past posts I’ve stated multiple times we’ll never see the return of the “classic” mid-2000s PSII kits like Leviathan, Partizon, Argent and…Ventris. My logic has been Estes would never sell kits again that builders can’t fly on Estes motors but here’s what appears to be proof I was wrong - next week it looks like the #9701 Ventris is coming back…of course, the one PSII kit I have multiples of on hand!
You're not wrong.
Who could have anticipated such 'pedestrian' MPR kits could enter production again especially after their last catalog appearance in 2016 (2015 for the Leviathan).
When the Ventris last appeared in the Estes catalog it had an SRP of $64.99, did not have decals to replicate the paint scheme showed in the catalog/kit facecard and did not have any special features like an ejection gas baffle.

I think the Estes 'fanboys' will be very disappointed when this limited edition release comes out with an SRP not less than $65 and possible more than that.
Let us see how fast their "I love Estes" turns into "Estes is ripping us off. WE are the 'true' fans of Estes products, how could they do this?"

$89.99.

Let the whining begin. ;)
Yup, already started. The original $65 list price adjusted for inflation would be $85.88 so $89.99 isn’t out of line - especially if there’s a roll pattern decal included this time. Folks tend to forget that those mid-2000s PSII kits didn’t sell very well until Hobbico started blowing Estes inventory out at cut rate prices prior to their bankruptcy. As I’ve already said, I have a couple kits on hand so I won’t be adding to the pile - I do like the looks of the Ventris so maybe I’ll move one onto the production line.

You're not wrong.
Who could have anticipated such 'pedestrian' MPR kits could enter production again especially after their last catalog appearance in 2016 (2015 for the Leviathan).
When the Ventris last appeared in the Estes catalog it had an SRP of $64.99, did not have decals to replicate the paint scheme showed in the catalog/kit facecard and did not have any special features like an ejection gas baffle.

I think the Estes 'fanboys' will be very disappointed when this limited edition release comes out with an SRP not less than $65 and possible more than that.
Let us see how fast their "I love Estes" turns into "Estes is ripping us off. WE are the 'true' fans of Estes products, how could they do this?"

$89.99.

Let the whining begin. ;)
It's kinda scary how you can call your shot. Almost like you know something about the hobby rocket industry. ;)😁

Back