Public Enemy 3" Bullpup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkABrown

Reaction score
I've just posted the pictures of the construction of my Public Enemy 3" Bullpup.

Public Enemy Bullpup Pictures

This kit comes with a 29mm MMT. I built the kit pretty much stock however, I ordered some scale decals from Tango Papa Decals. Tom was very easy to deal with and he upscaled the decals to fit a 3" model for me. Another modification was to add the ability to carry an altimeter. The Public Enemy kits that I've seen always separate in the middle using a bulkhead rather than separating the nosecone. Since the nosecone doesn't need to separate, I modified the nosecone base and screwed the noscone shoulder to the payload section using #6 machine screws. I can now add an altimeter into the payload section and secure it with the nosecone. I didn't make any modifications for altimeter deployment of chute though. The altimeter is just along for the ride so I can determine altitude. Overall, the quality of the kit is very impressive. It was a pleasure to build and relatively easy. The instructions were clear and easy to follow.

On its maiden flight, I had made the mistake of getting some paint into the launch lugs which made it fit much too tightly on the launch rod. I didn't want to fly it with it being so tight on the rod so, I went looking for a thinner rod. However, the rod that I chose was much too short. When the G64W-7 lit, the rocket weather cocked. I was anticipating about 1,000 feet in altitude but, the altimeter said that the total height was only 475 ft. The chute deployed in time but, it landed in the very top of a very tall tree. Ironically, the tree was directly in front of the hood of my truck! We watched it sway in the tree top all day merrily beeping out its altitude. Luckily, our club has a very proficient rocket retrieval person named John Hamil. He retrieved the Bullpup later that day with no damage other than a broken elastic shock cord. The shock cord will be easily replaced (I should've known better than to use the supplied bungie anyhow) with some tubular nylon or kevlar.

Mark, that's sure a nice looking rocket. Plan to try it on an HPR motor? :D

The sims say it should be really nice on an H128W. I'll try a few more around that impulse too.

Mark,

First off I hope you are having a good Birthday today.

I just received my 4" PE Bull Pup in the mail yesterday,(man am I excited) and looking over the instructions and your photo's, I see one difference. The canard fins. Did you purposely move them to the back of the payload section?And if so why?

Also I like the idea of the nose cone plug and attaching it to the payload section. What is the eye bolt for if you are screwing the NC to the payload section?

This is my first PE and HPR kit. I'll have lots of work to do and may have more questions in the future. I'm planning on useing this as my L1 attempt rocket.....................Thanks.......Marty

The canard fins were attached according to the directions. The eyebolt on the bulkhead was added simply for use as a handle to allow me to remove the bulkhead if I ever needed to add nose weight or anything else in the nosecone.

I think you're gonna love this rocket. What size MMT does the 4" kit come with? If 38mm, an H123 or H242 should be a nice Level 1 cert motor.

I think I'm gonna love it too. Yes the 4" BullPup does have a 38mm MMT.

I did have the old RSIM demo program but my comp crashed a while ago and I lost it. I've tried to download the new demo but it won't download, also can't receive the newsletter anymore. I e-mailed Tim at Apogee and he said my I.P. has something to do with it.

Anyway, if you or someone else could sim this rocket out and let me know what motors to use and what hights it would reach, that would be great. Thanks

Marty,
Both the H123 and the H242 put it just over 1300 feet. Sounds like a perfect Level 1 motor.

Back