PSII Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Can the PSII Nike Smoke be flown with an H motor to certify for Level 1? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.And how do you start the process? I'm planning on doing it possibly next year at URRF 10 in Potter

It can be, but it'll need to be beefed up a bit.
The two part plastic fins can split apart and shred at higher than intended velocities. This can be averted by running a pieces of packing tape along the edges of the fins.
I'd suggest using a Chute Release or something similar.

On my PSII plastic fins , they have that problem when folks are trying to be carful not to get glue on the outside.

I used ZAP A-GAP Medium CA in Liberal amounts on the inside and along the edges then clamp them on each side with Heavy Duty Binder Clips. Also had the root fin tabs taped up so they would not get any glue on them.

Then when dried a day later I would wet sand them in the kitchen sink under running water with 400 wet sanding paper to take off the glue on the outside using a sanding block. If you see any divot or hole on the fin edges using a thin dropper extension on your ZAP glue bottle put a tiny drop of CA on it. Sand lightly when dry. [They will need painted]

I sent the PSII Asender up on an H135 and it's smaller Diameter and it survived.

Last edited:
It can be, but it'll need to be beefed up a bit.
The two part plastic fins can split apart and shred at higher than intended velocities. This can be averted by running a pieces of packing tape along the edges of the fins.
I'd suggest using a Chute Release or something similar.
Don't think I'll have to worry about that, Torrey Farms in Potter, New York is so big the chance of a rocket like this drifting off would be pretty slim, but I would do it anyway because it would save a long walk, and I'm not getting any younger.

My stock estes PSII Nike flies just fine on 29/180 reloads and the H180. Just make sure it's well built. Make sure the fins have plenty of glue, especially around the edges and get a good fillet on them. The packing tape on the fins works as well for extra insurance.

Can the PSII Nike Smoke be flown with an H motor to certify for Level 1? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.And how do you start the process? I'm planning on doing it possibly next year at URRF 10 in Potter

Yes, you can fly an Estes PSII Nike Smoke on an H motor. As already mentioned the only mod you may need to make is sealing up the fins. One practical thing to consider is the potential apogee - even on a smallish single-use H you’re going to hit well over 2000 feet, regardless of the recovery area that may not be optimal for a qualification flight. I’ve seen successful qual flights at higher altitudes but I’ve seen as many that didn’t work out well with the altitude being a factor. A JLCR would be a helpful piece of gear to use if you’re not planning on going full dual deploy.

The reason you’ll get the go “low and slow” advice for an L1 flight is that it almost always works. That doesn’t mean it’s the best or only way - some folks enjoy the challenge of stretch goals like DD or higher flights - you’ll need to think through your personal goals and decide what works for you. I did the low and slow approach, flying as big and heavy rocket as I felt comfortable with, used my JLCR (which I really didn’t need but since I’d practiced with it I stuck with what had worked) and had a perfect L1 qualification flight. Bottom line and the only direct piece of advice I’m going to give is practice, practice, practice! I’d flown my L1 rocket so many times on G motors, using a streamer and my JLCR on the main chute that the qual flight was (except for my nerves) routine. The fact that flying rockets is a hoot makes all the practice flights a very good thing.

As far as “the process” goes for your L1 regardless of whether it’s with the NAR or Tripoli it’s fairly straightforward - go to either org’s website and read through the procedures, maybe watch a couple of Tim Van Milligan’s and John Coker’s videos on getting your L1, ask the more experienced folks in your club, here on TRF or other places as many questions as you can think of - nothing wrong with a 12 month plan for getting to L1! Enjoy the ride 😎

Don't think I'll have to worry about that, Torrey Farms in Potter, New York is so big the chance of a rocket like this drifting off would be pretty slim, but I would do it anyway because it would save a long walk, and I'm not getting any younger.

It is easy there to get it to land someplace you can't see where it is from far away sitting in a furrow. If your going to use a JLCR and never used one before, watch the JL videos on his website on how to properly fold and pack the chute and try it out in a lower power cheaper rocket first.

I banged up a Majestic 3 times when I first got one until I said, I need to watch that video again; then it worked :D

Back