Project Blacksky 200K two stage - Class 3 submitted!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening everyone! I must first apologize for the long delay of progress on the project - I am having a hell of a time balancing school, work and rocketry, and I needed to get an L3 before TRA would take me seriously. Tonight though, I am excited to announce that Project Blacksky is once again on the road to launch, hopefully this year at Aeronaut2016. I have made quite a few refinements to the design since the last update, and the pre-flight report has been revised. The design is now final, and I will be sending it in for Class III board of reviewal tomorrow evening. As I figure out the last few logistical hoops this week, I will be finalizing the budget as well, and setting up my funding route. Now is the time again, that I ask- Do any of you have suggestions as to which avenue would be best and why? I was thinking Kickstarter or GoFundMe, but I am eager to hear more ideas.
Will report back tomorrow, folks! Once again I apologize for the off time, but I thank you all for the slow trickle of likes and support that has kept flowing in to the facebook page, constantly reminding me that I ought to get back to work!

Here are the links for download of project files (up to date).

Writeup : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrnum5bnlb3oghp/Project BlackskyPDF.pdf?dl=0

ORK file for final design:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjx1rqpedindher/illi85s.ork?dl=0

RAS2 file for final design:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdt80pvpr8l6mil/illimitato.CDX1?dl=0

RAS timestep CSV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/okzt8vjx0ti9gbu/Ras2illi.CSV?dl=0

OR Timestep CSV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/27l48bqp6jcq0h6/n5800wtf.csv?dl=0

Full AutoCad model:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pferhw0lh7v5fq/illiloaded3_R.dwg?dl=0

If it's worth doing, it's worth paying for. I wouldn't rely on others funding your project. Not a fan of Kickstarter and the like. Good luck with the project, looks sweet.

If it's worth doing, it's worth paying for. I wouldn't rely on others funding your project. Not a fan of Kickstarter and the like. Good luck with the project, looks sweet.

Agreed. It's a hobby and you're not doing anything of tangible value for anyone beyond yourself. That said, I'm sure people will contribute if you ask.

In your write up, you state
"In 2010, Nic Lottering of Australia built a large, mostly metal minimum diameter rocket that would become the first successful minimum diameter N5800 flight,"
this is incorrect. Mike Passaretti of New Jersey, successfully launched a minimum diameter ("flying case") N5800 a year before Nic's. By the way Nic's flight was in Sep 2013 not 2010.

Ah yes, i think this is the one I mightve been referring to, but got the names mixed up. I will change this today. Thanks!
Dont debate this was then the first technically Min Dia or flying case N5800, hitting mid 50s at 100 inches long (LOL) .
I think Nic's was the first all composite one? Maybe thats what threw me off.
Good catch Astro! I need readers like ya! thanks :)

friendly reminder folks I am a flat broke college student also working full time to struggle to pay bills that continue to stack up. No way could I spare $15K to develop this two stage and program on my own funds currently. I am hopeful for crowd funded venues as they have worked wonders for thousands of people before me with notably less significant projects even...
But alas, I dont have too much faith in it either, based on a lot of the costic negativity toward the idea I've gotten from multiple sources over time.

All good either way. If it works woohoo. If not, I may try approaching an existing university Aerospace program...
Or I guess this design is just gonna go to waste afterall.
Im just tired of watching people shred apart their rockets or fly lower than they could for silly silly reasons all this time, sitting back knowing I could do better ... if I only had the money.

Who funds NASA projects? ;)

Ah yes, i think this is the one I mightve been referring to, but got the names mixed up. I will change this today. Thanks!
Dont debate this was then the first technically Min Dia or flying case N5800, hitting mid 50s at 100 inches long (LOL) .
I think Nic's was the first all composite one? Maybe thats what threw me off.
Good catch Astro! I need readers like ya! thanks :)

Nic's was a composite nose cone (fiberglass/delrin w/metal tip), composite airframe over the aluminum motor case, carbon fiber over metal fin cores, and metal brackets under the fillets. It was a mix of metal and composites.

...friendly reminder folks I am a flat broke college student also working full time to struggle to pay bills that continue to stack up. No way could I spare $15K to develop this two stage and program on my own funds currently. I am hopeful for crowd funded venues as they have worked wonders for thousands of people before me with notably less significant projects even... But alas, I dont have too much faith in it either, based on a lot of the costic negativity toward the idea I've gotten from multiple sources over time.

Friendly reminder to you that you are asking other hobbyist to fund your hobby with their disposable income. I got into this hobby when I was 12. I am now 32, post college, married, homeowner, livin' the dream! :cheers: I know exactly how it feels to have your heart beating out of your chest wanting to build a bad ass project at a young age, believe me, I get it. This negativity you are receiving is part of the "all about me" generation requesting donations from a lot of folks in the hobby more developed in years than you that currently that have jobs/careers, mortgages, car payments, families to feed, house repairs, 401K's, healthcare costs, etc. I am only speaking for myself here, but asking other hobbyists to provide funding for your hobby is highly inappropriate.

My .02, take it for what its worth, don't take it personally...

If you go do a Kickstarter or whatever permutation of crowd sourcing, learn from others mistakes.

Here's the Kickstarter campaign from Exos space which is a restart of Armadillo Aerospace. They were trying to raise $125k to rebuild their sounding rocket. They raised ~$15k.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/95173281/spaceflight-fast-and-affordable-access-to-sub-orbi

Their Kickstarter video was poorly done and uninspiring. Their page and rewards lacked appeal to a mass audience - particularly the low dollar contributions which are most campaign's bread and butter.

Good luck bro, hope to see it fly.

Which is more challenging of ingenuity and skill? Finding a way to raise $15K or building a rocket to get to 200K? You should be able to do the former if you can do the latter.

Another option is a company/university to fund your project.

I did this back in 2007 for an altitude attempt at Black Rock. Goal was to fly to 75k on commercial motors.

Sold the company I was interning for (Packer Engineering in Naperville IL) to pay for most of the rocket. University of Michigan paid for the trip out to Black Rock (shipping, airfare, RV). And I paid for the rocket motors which were an N2000, M1315, to a 6 grain 54 mm (I forget the designation).

Long story short, the project got funded with some luck and persistence. We raised about $10k total. It flew but unsuccessfully. Regardless it was a crap ton of work....lots of all nighters, neglected relationships, etc.

The project started in May and flew in September. So what you're shooting for is doable in the given timeframe. Just getting to the launch pad is a major accomplishment!

And now for the flight video lol.....
https://youtu.be/8-xz7Sy8hbk

Last edited:
Which is more challenging of ingenuity and skill? Finding a way to raise $15K or building a rocket to get to 200K? You should be able to do the former if you can do the latter.

Sourcing funding for sure. Most people tend to neglect the political aspect and only focus on the technical parts as they are more fun. But the work split it at least 50\50 between political and technical for any major advanced project. Corporations even still make this mistake.

It is not often that the best technical solution is what wins contracts it is who did the best at marketing their proposal.

Sourcing funding for sure. Most people tend to neglect the political aspect and only focus on the technical parts as they are more fun. But the work split it at least 50\50 between political and technical for any major advanced project. Corporations even still make this mistake.

It is not often that the best technical solution is what wins contracts it is who did the best at marketing their proposal.
^+1 Solving the first problem will look more impressive on the resume than the second......

Another option... Take funding into your own hands by getting some 12 month 0% APR credit cards. This might sound ridiculous but I take it you're young and this is the time in your life to do this kind of stuff.

Sure it's a gamble but you will learn a lot and get a chance to live out your dream. Which is way more than most people get who take the advised path in life.

It also might certainly pay off in a job interview down the road (to pay off those cards). Shows initiative, dedication, balls and will definitely set you apart from your peers.

You can do this for less than $10k - maybe not exactly as you'd like but definitely doable.

-kip

...Who funds NASA projects? ;)

NASA's budget funds NASA projects. It's exactly the same for all government agencies and private corporations. If there's no funds in the budget for a project, it doesn't happen.

Why would you think it's different for individuals. If your personal budget doesn't include funds for a big rocketry project, the project's a no go from the beginning.....

Bob

Why would you think it's different for individuals. If your personal budget doesn't include funds for a big rocketry project, the project's a no go from the beginning.....

+1.

Overachieve early in life, live comfortable for decades.

Another option... Take funding into your own hands by getting some 12 month 0% APR credit cards. This might sound ridiculous but I take it you're young and this is the time in your life to do this kind of stuff.

Sure it's a gamble but you will learn a lot and get a chance to live out your dream. Which is way more than most people get who take the advised path in life.

It also might certainly pay off in a job interview down the road (to pay off those cards). Shows initiative, dedication, balls and will definitely set you apart from your peers.

You can do this for less than $10k - maybe not exactly as you'd like but definitely doable.

-kip
That's a really bad idea. It's called fraud, borrowing money you can't pay back.

It you don't have the financial resources to self fund your project, and can't sell the project to obtain external funding, and then you go ahead and charge it all on credit cards you can't payoff, you have shown potential future employers that your program management/entrepreneurial skills are worthless and your integrity is questionable. If you can't pay back the money you borrowed, you have totally screwed your credit rating, and it may prevent you from getting the job you want down the line. Why do you think they would hire you to run/work on one of their projects they are funding to provide a positive return on their investment.

Bob

Dudes... Here's my two cents...
Set up a Kickstarter. If you get funded, cool. If not, no one loses money because no money changes hands unless you're fully funded. I'd pitch in a few bucks... But I also think your chances of getting fully funded via Kickstarter are close to zero because, as others have pointed out, most people won't give much to someone unless they're getting something in return. Donating to good causes are one thing. Donating to a young man's dream hobby is kind of catchy, but $15,000 worth? Maybe not... But if you set it up, I'll pitch in $20, risk free. ;-) just check into it first... I'm not sure Kickstarter allows a funding campaign that doesn't result in some material product for those who pledge.
As for all the naysayers... They're just jealous that crowd funding wasn't a thing when they were young and still had dreams... Go for it. What's the worst that could happen? You don't get funded? You're already there, so risk to you is zero. Possible upside is you do get funded... Wouldn't that be awesome?

As for all the naysayers... They're just jealous that crowd funding wasn't a thing when they were young and still had dreams... Go for it. What's the worst that could happen? You don't get funded? You're already there, so risk to you is zero. Possible upside is you do get funded... Wouldn't that be awesome?

Skewed view of the world due to the social networking froth so prevalent today. After the hype things will go back to reality, i.e., personal hard work and innovation (see: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486432238/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend something along the lines of the world record Saturn V built and flown by Steve Eves. Break your project into the various bits required to make it happen and size our contributions based on the purchase price of those items. After the launch, you provide that item to the person that paid for it. If they donate the N5800 or M2245 and case(s), they get the respective case back. If they buy the Telemega, they get the unit that has flown to 200,000'. I'd expect you'd be fully responsible for the airframe, while others can contribute the guts and brains. I'd also expect you to provide some sort of commemorative "token" of sorts for helping you out.

Steve made it happen through a network of friends and acquaintances over years of befriending rocketeers. He had a lot of press and heavily promoted and thanked those who contributed. He also had the benefit of being very close with the manufacturer of his motors, which I am sure helped his cause. He then donated the rocket to a museum for future learning and promotion of the hobby. Catch my drift?

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/Motors/

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/Sponsorship.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
So as far as funding is concerned, honestly I think kickstarter is not the way to go at this point. Me and another student were able to secure ~$22,000 for a rocket project before, and that project only went to 5120 ft. I am also right in the middle of securing funding for a rocket project that is considerably more expensive. My university also is not one that just hands out money to projects. We got the money we did by lots of research, and figuring out anything that was available for us. Some of the organizations we got money from didn't even know they had funding to give out.

There is no magic way to secure funding for a project like this, it all takes lots of footwork and lots of patience. I personally would not go with crowdfunding my current project mostly because I do not want the headache of managing interactions with several thousand investors and it has a poor track record for rocket projects. Buffalo University Rocket Propulsion Group (BURPG) did a crowdfunding campaign and was able to secure about the amount of funding you are hoping for. They also had a significant amount of prior investment and development work done, as well as had quite a bit of publicity beforehand.

For crowd funding to work you need to have had a pretty serious amount publicity. Several orders of magnitude more than what you have gotten by posting here. Especially here since we tend to be a bunch who spend more than we should on rocketry already. The only reason I would do a crowd funding campaign for my project would be to use it to get a bit of exposure, and generate some more focused interest. Since people who have personally invested in your project tend to be more interested in what is going on. However this can backfire if your campaign flops badly, it makes for a pretty strong negative signal about the feasibility of your project, or the scope that you have set for it. It also doesn't go away, so from then on you will have a black mark that will follow your project for anyone who googles it.

There is plenty of funding available for this project if you look in the right places. Especially since you are a undergraduate. You have done a pretty solid amount of prior homework, the kind you have done also is what your university likes to see. There are a lot of funding options available at your university, if you don't think there are its just because you haven't found them, or you haven't framed your project in the right manner.

The current project I am working on I started off with 3 years ago. I have spent the last 3 years with a relatively deliberate effort to gain the right resources to make it happen. The project that I was originally considering 3 years ago is also vastly different to what I am actually doing now.

Also if I was you I would seriously look at the bit of additional expense to get an unlocked GPS. It is about $1000 additional cost over the price of the unit and some paperwork. But it would make it so you can have GPS data for your whole flight. GPS does not actually have any limitations on speed or altitude, and work just fine for an orbital rocket.

Evening everyone! and I needed to get an L3 before TRA would take me seriously.

Ya know, I'm not surprised that they would want you to be qualified to do a project of this level before they would let you. That's what we like to call the real world. I'd like to introduce you to another real world expectation, "if you want to get a toy, GET A JOB AND PAY FOR IT!"

I'm not your parents and won't pay for your toys.

Why did people fund Steve Eves? A long history of doing projects like that one. Guess who paid for his first bunch of projects????? At LDRS 28 he had his project pretty much done - enough to display - before any talk occurred about motors. Oh, yea, he'd also been a L3 for, well, probably longer then you've been around.

My advice, not that you're interested is to start making stuff as you are financially able. A piece here, another there. When you finally have everything and are able to fly it,you will have earned a lot of experience and joy knowing that YOU went out and accomplished a major goal - perhaps the most ambitious one of your life to date. That will get you a lot of respect.

If you go do a Kickstarter or whatever permutation of crowd sourcing, learn from others mistakes.

Their Kickstarter video was poorly done and uninspiring. Their page and rewards lacked appeal to a mass audience - particularly the low dollar contributions which are most campaign's bread and butter. Good luck bro, hope to see it fly.

Yes! Definitely. I'd like to spend a solid week and create a killer ass video for it, I have atleast a few cool clips i might be able to incorporate ;) Now that the rocket is in for review, the next step is to set up said funding avenue, so ill be able to devote my focus exclusively to that without feeling like Im procrastinating on the design elements. Thanks man! I do too! :D

Yes, excellent point! I plan to go all out with it, sharing my project everywhere possible. Sending it to companies asking for sponsorships. Sending it to Universities asking for potential sponsorships or how theyd like to start/build on an aerospace program together, etc.
I may have a family friend of mine who is news anchor do a short on it for me, if he can... I plan to ATTACK the advertisement and really play it up. Youre exactly right, marketing is almost equally crucial to design in this project's case.

Dudes... Here's my two cents...
Set up a Kickstarter. If you get funded, cool. If not, no one loses money because no money changes hands unless you're fully funded. I'd pitch in a few bucks... But I also think your chances of getting fully funded via Kickstarter are close to zero because, as others have pointed out, most people won't give much to someone unless they're getting something in return. Donating to good causes are one thing. Donating to a young man's dream hobby is kind of catchy, but $15,000 worth? Maybe not... But if you set it up, I'll pitch in $20, risk free. ;-) just check into it first... I'm not sure Kickstarter allows a funding campaign that doesn't result in some material product for those who pledge.

YES. This is pretty much my exact mentality. I have the dream and the knowledge base, and the will. But if it doesnt happen Im not gonna run crying home. It's a wonderful educational opportunity I am happy to create for myself, and student aerospace teams worldwide if everything plays out the way Ive got in mind. But I honestly EXPECT it to not work out.
never expect the best. Always strive and hope for the best, but expect the worst. That way youll never be disappointed, or mediocre.

oh and Dixon, what hype? you mean progression of technology and social evolution? We’re never going backwards yo! :)

I'd recommend something along the lines of the world record Saturn V built and flown by Steve Eves. Break your project into the various bits required to make it happen and size our contributions based on the purchase price of those items. After the launch, you provide that item to the person that paid for it. If they donate the N5800 or M2245 and case(s), they get the respective case back. If they buy the Telemega, they get the unit that has flown to 200,000'. I'd expect you'd be fully responsible for the airframe, while others can contribute the guts and brains. I'd also expect you to provide some sort of commemorative "token" of sorts for helping you out.

Steve made it happen through a network of friends and acquaintances over years of befriending rocketeers. He had a lot of press and heavily promoted and thanked those who contributed. He also had the benefit of being very close with the manufacturer of his motors, which I am sure helped his cause. He then donated the rocket to a museum for future learning and promotion of the hobby. Catch my drift?

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/Motors/

https://www.libertylaunchsystems.com/saturn-v-project/Sponsorship.shtml

THIS THIS THIS! Yes, thats a great idea actually!! Other than machining, I could remove MOST of the big ticket items off my budget that way and bring the total crowd funding requirement down to 5 grand or less.
Accountability scares me a tad… “Oh , I forgot to bring the forward closure! And no one has one here!”
Also we are going to be using a heavily modified FC for the M2245..But yeah, other than that, youre spot on!

I think what I might do now - When I finalize (fully update) the budgeting sheet during this week and get my funding avenue set up, ill start soliciting for components. Perhaps on this same thread. If youre reading this now and know youd like to let me borrow something, go ahead and speak up now! :)
Just be ware people- this wont be the “normal” borrow agreement. I cant insure thousands of dollars in component replacements. But I am pretty confident the vehicle will perform as intended and the GPS and RF will bring her home.

For crowd funding to work you need to have had a pretty serious amount publicity. Several orders of magnitude more than what you have gotten by posting here. Especially here since we tend to be a bunch who spend more than we should on rocketry already. The only reason I would do a crowd funding campaign for my project would be to use it to get a bit of exposure, and generate some more focused interest. Since people who have personally invested in your project tend to be more interested in what is going on. However this can backfire if your campaign flops badly, it makes for a pretty strong negative signal about the feasibility of your project, or the scope that you have set for it. It also doesn't go away, so from then on you will have a black mark that will follow your project for anyone who googles it.

Indeed, I have the facebook set up for now but as I mentioned earlier in this post I do intend to drastically increase the reach of the project's solicitation now that it is in developed and ready to build form. The reason I had kept it somewhat low key for so long was that I wanted to make sure it would actually be feasible in it's current form before I rushed out and showed the world a beautifully empty shell of a project.

Also if I was you I would seriously look at the bit of additional expense to get an unlocked GPS. It is about $1000 additional cost over the price of the unit and some paperwork. But it would make it so you can have GPS data for your whole flight. GPS does not actually have any limitations on speed or altitude, and work just fine for an orbital rocket.

Can you tell me more about this? Im not much of an electronics geek, and I have had something like a day of cumulative conversational minutes with my GPS designer on this subject... In less words, he really got it into my head that operating on military P codes would not only be a hassle in paperwork and perhaps cost, but could require physical re-designs of the board that he was plain uninterested in pursuing. In his words, it will never loose the connection, it just wont resolve accurately.
No, Im not changing GPS boards. Unless you know of a 1Watt 900mhz system that fits in a smaller area than the GPS-1 and uses a smaller power source for under $2000 :)
We're just going to have to deal with scrambled eggs bro. I know its not ideal. I know its potentially even dangerous. But for the sake of the project, i think it is undoubtedly the best approach. And with a thoughtful head and watchful eye, you can still gain plenty of useful information about whats happening in flight even with scrambled data. Sortof like a Kalman filter.

ALRIGHT LADIES AND GENTS! The class III board of reviewal request HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY SUBMITTED! :) I eagerly await them to dissect it and flood me with questions and ideas, and ill try to pass them along here as fit and appropriate as well. Lets see how this goes!

Also, are you ready to see the first REAL parts for the rocket other than the brass T I have? :D My 3D printing specialist has begun printing some of the PROTOTYPE avbay components. He is going to ship them to me and I am going to do some refinement to them in preparation for the real deal.
here you can see that the avbay floor retains the cutout I had in the CAD model for visualization purposes. (We choose to leave it that way for fun, and it may provide some cool visualization IRL as well)

Photo Mar 20, 6 04 18 AM.jpg

Thank you all once again for your thoughts and participation on this thread. This is such a cool experience on my end, even if this project never sees the light of day.. But we shall see together, eh? :)

Last edited:
Can you tell me more about this? Im not much of an electronics geek, and I have had something like a day of cumulative conversational minutes with my GPS designer on this subject... In less words, he really got it into my head that operating on military P codes would not only be a hassle in paperwork and perhaps cost, but could require physical re-designs of the board that he was plain uninterested in pursuing. In his words, it will never loose the connection, it just wont resolve accurately.
No, Im not changing GPS boards. Unless you know of a 1Watt 900mhz system that fits in a smaller area than the GPS-1 and uses a smaller power source for under $2000 :)
We're just going to have to deal with scrambled eggs bro. I know its not ideal. I know its potentially even dangerous. But for the sake of the project, i think it is undoubtedly the best approach. And with a thoughtful head and watchful eye, you can still gain plenty of useful information about whats happening in flight even with scrambled data. Sortof like a Kalman filter.

The COCOM limits placed on consumer GPS have nothing to do with the military P or M codes. The limitations that makes consumer GPS not work at above 100kft and 1000 feet per second (Or whatever the current limits are) is simply a bit of code on the GPS firmware. The government told GPS manufactures that they are not to sell GPS to consumers that can perform over those limits; but the actual method of ensuring that is up to the manufacturer.

Most I am fairly certain, just have a few lines of code in the firmware that go "IF: speed >1000 ft/s or altitude >100k feet Then: Stop outputting position data." So you aren't receiving scrambled or "bad" data, the GPS simply stops outputting anything. Some GPS receivers would go as far as to freeze themselves and not unlock until you cycled the power. Though I think the ones that did this are obsolete models.

Otherwise the normal L1 consumer GPS works just fine all the way to orbital velocities, even beyond the orbit of the GPS satellites themselves. The only consequence of not using the correction codes is decreased accuracy.

So there is no reason to use the military codes, the normal uBlox GPS units that most people use in their rockets are accurate to ~3-9m I think, I cant remember off the top of my head. IF you get a nice GPS from Novatel they are good for 1.5m with only the L1 signal. If you need more accuracy you can use RTK GPS which is accurate to 1cm or less. But gets less accurate the farther you get from the ground station sending the correcting signal.

In your case you probibly don't care about 1 cm accuracy and only want your GPS to work. There are two ways to do this.

1. Get an unlocked GPS, this requires a fair amount of paperwork, and usually ~$1000 to the manufacturer to fill out their side of things to the department of commerce. It used to be $2500 but they switched who deals with it on the government side so it is a little cheaper now. Keep in mind they most of the time wont do this for Mr. Joe Normal off the street even if you have the money. They usually want some level of officialness for the reason why you need an unlocked GPS and how you are going to keep it from being handled by foreign nationals. Being a University project helps because you will be under the umbrella of the university. Or if you are an actual aerospace corporation. So basically it takes a bit of negotiation to get it to go through. You should be able to unlock your GPS-1 as well, I'm guessing it has a ublox GPS chip on it. I personally do not know what ublox's attitude is on unlocking GPS's as most people who go through the hassle and spend $1000 usually don't do it on a $20 GPS chip. So most go with someone like Novatel who make some of the best GPS receivers.

Ironically if you are a foreign national all you need to do to get an unlocked GPS is buy one from the store not made in the US (or a few European countries that have a similar law if I remember correctly).

2. The other method is don't compute your position real-time. The key element to the regulation is that the GPS cannot compute the position real-time over the altitude and velocity limits. However, if you are not computing the position real-time there is nothing stopping you from recording or forwarding what a GPS receiver would see and computing the position information afterwards or on the ground. This is great because there is no paperwork or negotiation to go through just some technical problems.

We used this method on a sounding rocket that went to 99 km. The rocket wasn't recovered by design. So for this they had a receiver on the rocket that received the GPS signals, packaged them and then sent them down to the ground station. Then the actual position fix was computed on the ground and not on the rocket. I can't remember how effective it was as they also had radar tracking the rocket as well. But if you are interested in how high the rocket went this could be a reasonable option.

However if you send the calculated position information back to the rocket to control staging I am not sure what the regulations are about that. Would be something to check.

Last edited:
/QUOTE]

See, in one comment youve communicated more critical info to me than all of my phone conversations with my guy.
I had originally asked him exactly that - if his board could be unlocked without modifying it, and he went on tangent after tangent about P codes and random things like that. So I became put off by the entire idea. He is my friend, and I respect him alot, but he's not the best at communication and I have barely even an elementary understanding of these electronic systems.

The one thing I did stress very highly over these conversations was my critical need to never loose lock even if I get unreliable packets. Ive personally watched people struggle to get lock on the ground for hours sometimes, even with BRB 900s and what not. I have a feeling if I loose connection to my board during flight, we will never see that sustainer again.
GPS-1 does indeed use a Ublox chip... I am going to try sending an email to Ublox first to see if I can get a round idea of exactly what the process might entail when it comes to unlocking one of the GPS-1s... I feel like a lone pirate in a small boat in the middle of the ocean on this one, and RFS sure doesnt seem interested in helping me anymore. I suppose I could try emailing him too but I doubt it will get me far.

From what I understood ORIGINALLY, the cocom lockout limitations were something like 60,000MSL and 1000knots. RFS got me thinking it was 220K, hence the title of that section ">200K" .
- A quick google search of "cocom limitations" brings up 60K and 1000knots. I had also heard the number "500meters per second" tossed around, which is 972knots.

Super finite GPS accuracy isnt critical to me, as long as its within 30 feet or so. Something tells me the Ublox chip that RFS uses is pretty darn good tho, he kindof prides himself in producing over-the-top quality products and projects, which is a great thing and does helps me out a lot.

Again, im not an electronics wiz. Hell, you could for sure tell me more about it than i could, but here's the board and its components are specified https://realflightsystems.com/wordpress/?page_id=259

Your second suggestion is really really interesting! How would you go about setting up the system to do that? Can it be done with most GPS systems right out of the box, or does that require firmware and software changes as well?

I am always interested in atleast researching other GPS systems, but I am still dead set (for now) on using the GPS-1 because it seems to be the most powerful unit I can find for the size. Basically it comes to high power output in a wide band, physical board size, power source size and peripheral mounting freedom. GPS-1 seems to excel in these categories. It also can be remotely powered up, which eliminates the need for another switch in the avbay. Currently I only have to run two :)

Now.... as for the Telemega... I really am just running that board for off-vertical-stagining-inhibition and data logging. However, obviously I plan to take full advantage of it as a redundant GPS/RF backup as well. Im not sure if I want to double my trouble and look into getting that one unlocked as well, but I should send Altus an email as well..

When I get back home tonight I will do a lot more research on unlocked systems. I wish I had an expert I could sit down and actually talk to, in person... But youre doing me wonders of understanding already! Thanks man

Last edited:
Cocom is old hat. There is a new agreement in force but is just about the same rule. I suggest you look to some of the high altitude ballooning people for advice or you could simply get a Ham tech license and use a 70cm or 2 meter Beeline GPS.
https://www.arhab.org/

Do a google search and you'll find some hits on high altitude GPS chipsets. The importance is to get a lock at or around apogee and for the ride down so you can find it.
You will not find a system the will beacon during high Mach flight period. Don't bother trying to pursue that avenue. Count for your onboard electronics to record the pertinent data you are interested in and
count on your tracker for recovery purposes. Kurt

Cocom is old hat. There is a new agreement in force but is just about the same rule. I suggest you look to some of the high altitude ballooning people for advice or you could simply get a Ham tech license and use a 70cm or 2 meter Beeline GPS.
https://www.arhab.org/

Do a google search and you'll find some hits on high altitude GPS chipsets. The importance is to get a lock at or around apogee and for the ride down so you can find it.
You will not find a system the will beacon during high Mach flight period. Don't bother trying to pursue that avenue. Count for your onboard electronics to record the pertinent data you are interested in and
count on your tracker for recovery purposes. Kurt

Getting a lock with any non-unlocked GPS at apogee is going to be impossible for a flight to 200k feet. That is way too high above the altitude limits to hope for some lucky positions.

You most certainty can get position and beacon on a high mach flight. With most consumer rocketry electronics it is more difficult. There are two reasons why it gets difficult at high speeds. One is doppler shift from the high speeds, the other is frequency drift on the crystals from acceleration.

Doppler shift wise, just as sounds go up in pitch or down in pitch if they drive towards or away from you, the same thing happens with RF signals. If you are going mach 3 you could see ~3kHz of frequency shift on a 457 MHz beacon. With 2.4 GHz you would get a ~16 KHz drift. Depending on your bandwidth this may be enough to drift your signal far enough off your center point that your radio could stop getting packets. In the professional realm you use a radio that will adjust its frequency to compensate for the Doppler shift automatically. In the amateur world if it is a problem you could probably do a reasonable job compensating by hand.

The acceleration does pose a problem as well. At very high accelerations the length of the reference crystals for your radio can actually chance length. As the resonant frequency depends on length for the crystals this can give a pretty large shift in frequency. One common method to combat this is to use two crystals perpendicular to each other, and with some fancy equations you can use them both to compensate for the drift. I am pretty sure there are some prepackaged crystals that are built with this in mind and do the compensation automatically. Though I haven't actually looked.

For position you can either get an unlocked GPS or have an Inertial Measurement Unit on-board and do dead reckoning to compensate for the loss of GPS position.

For sure though none of this is trivial to deal with and requires a fair amount of RF/electronics knowledge to accomplish.

/QUOTE]

See, in one comment youve communicated more critical info to me than all of my phone conversations with my guy.
I had originally asked him exactly that - if his board could be unlocked without modifying it, and he went on tangent after tangent about P codes and random things like that. So I became put off by the entire idea. He is my friend, and I respect him alot, but he's not the best at communication and I have barely even an elementary understanding of these electronic systems.

The one thing I did stress very highly over these conversations was my critical need to never loose lock even if I get unreliable packets. Ive personally watched people struggle to get lock on the ground for hours sometimes, even with BRB 900s and what not. I have a feeling if I loose connection to my board during flight, we will never see that sustainer again.
GPS-1 does indeed use a Ublox chip... I am going to try sending an email to Ublox first to see if I can get a round idea of exactly what the process might entail when it comes to unlocking one of the GPS-1s... I feel like a lone pirate in a small boat in the middle of the ocean on this one, and RFS sure doesnt seem interested in helping me anymore. I suppose I could try emailing him too but I doubt it will get me far.

From what I understood ORIGINALLY, the cocom lockout limitations were something like 60,000MSL and 1000knots. RFS got me thinking it was 220K, hence the title of that section ">200K" .
- A quick google search of "cocom limitations" brings up 60K and 1000knots. I had also heard the number "500meters per second" tossed around, which is 972knots.

Super finite GPS accuracy isnt critical to me, as long as its within 30 feet or so. Something tells me the Ublox chip that RFS uses is pretty darn good tho, he kindof prides himself in producing over-the-top quality products and projects, which is a great thing and does helps me out a lot.

Again, im not an electronics wiz. Hell, you could for sure tell me more about it than i could, but here's the board and its components are specified https://realflightsystems.com/wordpress/?page_id=259

Your second suggestion is really really interesting! How would you go about setting up the system to do that? Can it be done with most GPS systems right out of the box, or does that require firmware and software changes as well?

I am always interested in atleast researching other GPS systems, but I am still dead set (for now) on using the GPS-1 because it seems to be the most powerful unit I can find for the size. Basically it comes to high power output in a wide band, physical board size, power source size and peripheral mounting freedom. GPS-1 seems to excel in these categories. It also can be remotely powered up, which eliminates the need for another switch in the avbay. Currently I only have to run two :)

Now.... as for the Telemega... I really am just running that board for off-vertical-stagining-inhibition and data logging. However, obviously I plan to take full advantage of it as a redundant GPS/RF backup as well. Im not sure if I want to double my trouble and look into getting that one unlocked as well, but I should send Altus an email as well..

When I get back home tonight I will do a lot more research on unlocked systems. I wish I had an expert I could sit down and actually talk to, in person... But youre doing me wonders of understanding already! Thanks man

Well, there might be a bit of a problem for you. The GPS-1 looks like it uses a ublox LEA-5/6, which doesn't narrow it down that much as there are like 10 models in the LEA-5/6 range. I took a glance at the LEA-6 datasheet, it limits you to less than 4 G's of acceleration. Also its most dynamic mode has a vertical velocity limit of 100 m/s. So unless he is using a special model, or one I didn't look at you might not have GPS lock for most of the flight.

This is the GPS that I am likely using in my system: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/oem628-g1s-00g-0tn/novatel-inc It doesn't have anything silly like acceleration limits (other than for hardware reasons). It can be using configurations giving cm precision. It probably isn't the best solution for you as it has features that I need but you don't. They have a cheaper one like this: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/oemstar-pvt-1hz/novatel-inc which would probably do what you need.

So for the second suggestion, we managed to find a GPS module that would decode the GPS data, but it outputted the decoded data before actually computing the position. This was the receiver board we used: https://aprs.gids.nl/gpskit/gps-readme.html
The problem is it is long out of production and the new replacement model has a different chipset and I was told that had some unspecified problem for doing this.

So there is no off the shelf solution for the second method, as the number of people who need a system like this could be counted on one or two hands.

If you end not not able to get an unlocked GPS and the second method I mentioned isn't going to happen your next best bet would be to use an IMU and do dead reckoning, which I am pretty sure the telemega does, though its accuracy I am not sure of. I guess I'll find out on my shot to 50,000 feet.

If you are not confident in your electronics knowledge, it would be a very good thing to focus some study on. If you go into engineering you will encounter advanced electronics everywhere you go, even as an ME. Plus this project's success is equally dependent on your electronics as is the air-frame.

Getting a lock with any non-unlocked GPS at apogee is going to be impossible for a flight to 200k feet.

I have reason to believe the commercial u-blox GPS that is used in the Multitronix TelemetryPro System will provide position fixes at 200K feet.

U-blox is a Swiss company. I have seen u-blox firmware release notes that specifically say the firmware was designed to meet the Swiss government’s implementation of the Wassenaar Arrangement. (Not to be confused with the Wassenaar Agreement.) The Wassenaar Arrangement is the successor to the Cold War-era Coordinating Committee for Multilateral Export Controls (COCOM), and was established on 12 July 1996, in Wassenaar, the Netherlands.

The Waasenaar Arrangement specifies a velocity restriction but it does NOT specify an altitude restriction. It specifies a maximum velocity of 600 m/s. I have data from many different flights that show the u-blox GPS actually stops reporting position fixes above 1000 knots which is 515 m/s. (A little below the maximum 600 m/s that is allowed.) This happens regardless of altitude. These flights also show that as soon as the velocity drops below 1000 knots, the position fixes immediately resume.

The u-blox data sheet does specify a maximum altitude of 50,000m which is 164K feet. However, I have also been told that the 50,000m limit is just the point where the GPS is guaranteed to meets all it's performance spec's. It is not a limit above which the GPS will refuse to report position fixes. U-blox wrote to me: "...if the position fix seems to be repeatable and trustworthy (i.e. several calculations appear consistent with plenty of satellites, good DOP geometry, and no significant residual deficiencies, then an exception is made and the GPS will still report positions."

Therefore, provided the velocity is low enough and provided the quality of the fix is high enough, I expect the TelemetryPro u-blox GPS to report fixes at 200K feet. (An apogee in the 200K range will by definition make the velocity low there.)

None of my customers have actually flown that high so I do not yet have flight data to prove it works. Perhaps someday. :)

Latest posts

Back