Poll question..What’s your favorite Estes kit from these 4 picks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What’s your favorite here (pick up to 2 choices)

• Estes Pro Series II Doorknob

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Estes Big Daddy

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Estes V2

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Estes Mean machine

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

Adam3836

Reaction score
Alright make a vote
All for fun
Share why you like your vote
Maybe share a photo if you have one of these rockets

Here's the Estes V2 I built for my brother-in-law, with scaled fins and scratch-built chain guards for the guide vanes on the tails of the fins. Needs a longer launch rod, though, as the scale fins don't seem to have enough control at low speed to prevent the start of a gravity turn. But it came out looking pretty nice. Paint scheme and tail art for V3 test flight.

20210302_071023.jpg

Turning a Daddy into a Bigger Daddy this week with a modest stretch, upgrade to 29mm mmt, baffle, and NC shoulder revisions.

Considering adding on a quad of custom afterburners/smoke generators.

Doorknob/Daddy's/V2 share similar profiles, and are faves. Enjoy fat bulky rockets that I can keep visual on from start to finish without binocs.

MMs to me are interesting but boring and delicate w/o BT reinforcement. Killed one & have had a second kit waiting for several years now.

If I've gotta pick only one, well then it'll be BIG DADDY!!!

Next month might I might say Doorknob (or Leviathan...).

Tough to say for sure, but if there was an Estes V2 that was in the Pro Series II size, it would be a single answer from me for sure. Having said that, I like the original and re-issue of the Big Daddy, but I'm more of a long/skinny (not to the Mean Machine extreme) rocket guy, vs short and fat. Having said that, I loved my Mean Machine when I was a kid and have done a few like that since and they are a hit at scout launches and demos.

Its a good poll when you don't immediately know the 'right' answer. Part of me thinks Adam3836 might be an AI bot who was inserted into the TRF community a few years ago to do research for the Estes cabal. Goal: Determine the ultimate kit to produce to satisfy the rocket community. I know my answer inside, AI bot, you won't get it out of me. . .

I'll be curious to see the results of the poll!

Sandy.

Wow that is sharp looking !!!

Here's the Estes V2 I built for my brother-in-law, with scaled fins and scratch-built chain guards for the guide vanes on the tails of the fins. Needs a longer launch rod, though, as the scale fins don't seem to have enough control at low speed to prevent the start of a gravity turn. But it came out looking pretty nice. Paint scheme and tail art for V3 test flight.

View attachment 511098

lol 😆
No bot here …
But I agree it’s kinda a challenge this poll
I am familiar with all the rocket choices above and keep bouncing back and forth on my favorite lol

Tough to say for sure, but if there was an Estes V2 that was in the Pro Series II size, it would be a single answer from me for sure. Having said that, I like the original and re-issue of the Big Daddy, but I'm more of a long/skinny (not to the Mean Machine extreme) rocket guy, vs short and fat. Having said that, I loved my Mean Machine when I was a kid and have done a few like that since and they are a hit at scout launches and demos.

Its a good poll when you don't immediately know the 'right' answer. Part of me thinks Adam3836 might be an AI bot who was inserted into the TRF community a few years ago to do research for the Estes cabal. Goal: Determine the ultimate kit to produce to satisfy the rocket community. I know my answer inside, AI bot, you won't get it out of me. . .

I'll be curious to see the results of the poll!

Sandy.

Awesome my build pile has a big daddy that Iam waiting to convert to 29mm
Seems like that will be fun !

Turning a Daddy into a Bigger Daddy this week with a modest stretch, upgrade to 29mm mmt, baffle, and NC shoulder revisions.

Considering adding on a quad of custom afterburners/smoke generators.

Doorknob/Daddy's/V2 share similar profiles, and are faves. Enjoy fat bulky rockets that I can keep visual on from start to finish without binocs.

MMs to me are interesting but boring and delicate w/o BT reinforcement. Killed one & have had a second kit waiting for several years now.

If I've gotta pick only one, well then it'll be BIG DADDY!!!

Next month might I might say Doorknob (or Leviathan...).
[/QUOTE

True
I guess will be extra certain on the favorites lol
I set it so all can have two picks cause it’s a tuff call lol

QUOTE="jnmiller, post: 2259105, member: 22854"]
The poll results add up to 120% instead of 100%
[/QUOTE]

Awesome my build pile has a big daddy that Iam waiting to convert to 29mm
Seems like that will be fun !
Very amenable to modding. Tubing and bulkheads/upgraded centering rings from Balsa Machining. Consider a stuffer tube if extending the BT (and increasing dead space to pressurize for ejection); I'm not on current build because it's just a few inches extra, and baffle addition saves a ton of wadding/insulation if you're not using Nomex chute protectors. Paper towel-sized wadding (saturate with Borax/boric acid) is a super-cheap upsized version of Estes' overpriced single-ply TP wadding, and provides good wall-to-wall coverage. Got the Dremel out to remove the angled portion of the nosecone and replace with a wooden bulkhead. Can still fly on 24 mm with an adapter if not too much added weight.

I previously modded a Daddy to take a homemade 3/4" ID BP motor and it worked great, but those motor tubing specs can vary by tube batch/source (often just a wee bit larger than 29mm, and longer always used--typically 7-7.5" long), so requires a customized MMT that's more of a challenge to accept conversions to 29/24 mm conventional motors. Doable, but can be a lot of extra work that requires pre-planning.

Very true statement as we get older and more refined we learn when to have the patience and our skill set gets a little better
Well most of the time lol

Thanks! It's the best finish I've put on a rocket yet. It's amazing to me the difference in skills and (primarily) patience that one gets as an adult. Plus, as a kid, I had no access to spray paint!

Very nice finish on your V-2. I cloned one a year or so ago, and although it came out ok, yours looks much better. Someday I'll get my Maxi V-2 done, someday.

I was going to get a V2 and I mean machine from one of the members on here but the dag gone shipping was too much 🤬

I was going to get a V2 and I mean machine from one of the members on here but the dag gone shipping was too much 🤬
Shipping definitely is a factor lol

those would of been great kits to grab ….

next time …

Looks like the V2 is the front runner for several days
I must admit it’s a fun rocket to launch
I have one and it gets to fly most every time

mean machine is fun also

pro series doorknob flys well

never flown a big daddy … Yettt…. I have one in the build pile Iam just waiting for the 29mm conversion kit to come back in stock at launch lab and that build will start

Back