PMC 1/48th F-14A Tomcat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul.nortness

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just coming back to rocketry after a long hiatus and saw some of these cool plastic model conversions....I have been doing scale modeling for about 6 years now and recently made the switch exclusively to 32nd scale. I have a couple Revell Monogram Tomcats left over from when I did 48th scale that I would like to try to convert to rockets.

Here is my thinking, you guys tell me if this is feasible please....

I just slid an Estes 18mm motor into one of the engines of the F-14, as long as the kit engine nozzle isn't installed it fits great. What I would like to do is have this PMC be a twin engine just like the actual aircraft and to do so, I would remove the bulkhead where the compressor face goes so the intake opens up all the way to the back of the kit. Then, slide body tube down the intake until it is flush with the back of the Tomcat. The rocket motor would fit into the back of the installed body tube, and recovery would be from parachutes deployed from the body tubes. The launch lug would be mounted in the "channel" between the two engines.

Is there anything I need to know about PMC's before I embark on this adventure, is this adventure even do-able?

Any advice or comment is greatly appreciated

Back