SM-62 Snark Scale Design (3D printed parts + BT-80 or BT-60 + plywood fins)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know that there is a Snark inspired or sport-scale rocket out there ("Snarky"). However, I am curious if I can do a scale Snark with minimal modifications from scale.

Assuming I can push CG forward close to the front tip of the wings, the biggest issue I see is that small vertical tail fin (and lack of other vertical surfaces). Ideally I would like to make the boosters work as drop-away boosters but if I can get them to function as static boosters with smaller / shorter burn engines I think I will be ok with that as well.

I am wondering about making the ramjet intake actually work as an intake to help stabilize the model some (via GDS / induction stabilization). To accomplish this, I am considering recessing the engine 2cm, leaving boat tail and ramjet portion more or less hollow w/ rear opening (I could have an enclosed duct and could model a conical exit in the rear), channeling the engine into a motor mount tube (so ejection charge goes into BT-80 tube and is isolated from the induction portion of boat tail). I will deal with melting boat tail issues later if this works... This approach has something in common with the "thrust augmentation" threads (but my main goal is stabilization). My assumption is that since the intake is right below the body tube it would primarily take air in from the sides (and below) and that this would have some yaw stabilizing effect. I know it would be stronger if it was more rearward but scale is what it is.

1692375386689.jpeg

The boat tail is the most complex part here and existing STLs are pretty poor (I even bought one that looked good when it was skinned but was pretty rough once you removed the coloring). So I started from scratch and drew the cross-sections based on existing plans (setting up for a cylindrical body tube to interface with front section of the boat tail).

1692375327844.png

I am learning how to use Fusion 360 to better loft these extrusions together - came out pretty good so far (I should have left off top rectangular rear part since I can add it later).

1692375205135.png

Here is roughly where I am at so far. Should be a fun experiment even if it does not work ;)
1692380881948.png

Probably does not matter much but I do wonder whether I should just leave the back totally open (i.e., 3D print with 3 walls but nothing else) or if I should put an angled nozzle cut-out. I started messing around with the BT-60 version that would use an 18mm engine (1cm recessed here).

1692401270519.png

Why is this in the "Scratch Built" forum? Shouldn't it be in "Scale"?

Same question for all your other "(3D printed parts + BT-?? + plywood fins)" files?

Why is this in the "Scratch Built" forum? Shouldn't it be in "Scale"?

Same question for all your other "(3D printed parts + BT-?? + plywood fins)" files?

If something is scratch-built to scale where does it belong... I am not posting information about scale I am posting about how I scratch built it. Also my questions are not about scale -- in this case it is about the likelihood that I can use the ramjet intake to help stabilize the model.

I am 100% sure that me designing a 3D printed rocket and building it from scratch is scratch-built. I don't think the definition of scratch building is about the age of the tools being used.

If something is scratch-built to scale where does it belong... I am not posting information about scale I am posting about how I scratch built it. Also my questions are not about scale -- in this case it is about the likelihood that I can use the ramjet intake to help stabilize the model.

I am 100% sure that me designing a 3D printed rocket and building it from scratch is scratch-built. I don't think the definition of scratch building is about the age of the tools being used.

It just seems like that's what the "scale" forum is for? Bombs, Planes, Rockets that are built to...

Scale The place to talk about scale. Scale builds, scale data, useful photos. It all goes here.
So the Acorn is not to scale?
No​

Back