Please offer some rail launcher design ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmac

Reaction score
This is what I'm working with.
It has a nice wide base and was free.
The Rockwell jaw stand was my planned option until this fell in my lap.
I just can't seem to picture how I could attach a base plate to it.
I don't weld and only have basic home-owner tools.
Steering me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Surveyors tripod.jpg
    Surveyors tripod.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 60
Here's a full size image so you don't have to click a thumbnail. I just learned I could do this.
Surveyors tripod.jpg

Big speaker stand.....a really simple way would be to use a couple of hose clamps to attach the rail to the upper tube. The question would be if the tube would seat well enough in a groove on one side of the rail to stay put. I use clamps to attach a rail to a 1/2 inch diameter bolt similar to what Frank Burke has done in his pad design (on dynasoarrocketry.com).

The blast deflector then becomes the trick.

I would take the upper telescoping pole out of the base and see if the rail fits in there, secured with the existing hand wheel. But that doesn't leave you with a way to adjust angle for setting up on uneven ground, or wind corrections.

Another option is to sell the free speaker stand on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, and you'll probably be at least halfway to the Rockwell stand you were planning on.

If the tube walls are strong enough, drill through them, and JB weld nuts to them.
You can place the rail down the tube (or a beam on the back of the rail) and screw in the bolts studs to hold it in place.
Works with a rod too

Big speaker stand.....
Yeah, that does seem more likely than what my well meaning neighbor claimed it is.

I would take the upper telescoping pole out of the base and see if the rail fits in there, secured with the existing hand wheel. But that doesn't leave you with a way to adjust angle for setting up on uneven ground, or wind corrections.
I took the inner pole out and the hand wheel only pushes on a nylon collar that grips the inner pole.
I replaced the inner pole and removed the plastic plug on top of it.
I'm gonna go wander the hardware isles at Lowes to see if I can come up with a way to attach a hot-swappable adjustable/hinged base plate to it.
Once I do that, I plan on making a base plate for rods by attaching a keyless drill chuck and a base for each size rail I'll be using.

Another option is to sell the free speaker stand...
Great suggestion but normally I wouldn't even bother trying to sell it and get the jaw stand anyway.
This might sound silly but my neighbor seemed so proud to give me something that he thought would work for my father/son hobby.
His kids are grown and gone and he enjoys helping us tinker with our projects. I often do him the favor of doing us favors.
Even when it ends up being inconvenient. Now I feel like if I don't use it, he'll be disappointed.
He's a "Greatest Generation" member and I'd be embarrassed for him to see my new "store bought" item instead of "utilizing what's at hand". I'm stuck now.

If the tube walls are strong enough, drill through them, and JB weld nuts to them.
Ah, yes... I'll add to to my idea list!

Thanks fellas. I see the trail-head now.

Most 1010 rails fit a carriage bolt in the slot, I think a 1/4" but not absolutely sure. You can do that in a couple of spots with either hose clamps over a block of wood per BEC or all the way through the pole a la Nytrunner. The center hole on 1010 is just hte right size to tap for a 1/4" bolt if you have that in hand. A piece of sheet metal held a little above the ground would be a good blast shield. While you're at it, a carriage bolt and short piece of aluminum or steel bar stock is a good standoff to hold your rocket just above the blast shield.

[edit] Also, don't forget to figure out how you will get the rocket on to the rail, whether that's tipping the whole thing over, hinging it, standing on a stepstool, being tall with long arms, etc.

Last edited:
Here’s a photo I took of a TARC team’s launch pad made from an Amazon Basics speaker stand. Costs around $30.

The clamps holding the rail in place were 3D printed. Pretty nicely done.

Hope this helps and maybe gives you some ideas.

FB943FAE-F801-4C35-85D4-EC50575E36B0.jpeg

I took the inner pole out and the hand wheel only pushes on a nylon collar that grips the inner pole.
I replaced the inner pole and removed the plastic plug on top of it.
I'm gonna go wander the hardware isles at Lowes to see if I can come up with a way to attach a hot-swappable adjustable/hinged base plate to it.
Once I do that, I plan on making a base plate for rods by attaching a keyless drill chuck and a base for each size rail I'll be using.

Great suggestion but normally I wouldn't even bother trying to sell it and get the jaw stand anyway.
This might sound silly but my neighbor seemed so proud to give me something that he thought would work for my father/son hobby.
His kids are grown and gone and he enjoys helping us tinker with our projects. I often do him the favor of doing us favors.
Even when it ends up being inconvenient. Now I feel like if I don't use it, he'll be disappointed.
He's a "Greatest Generation" member and I'd be embarrassed for him to see my new "store bought" item instead of "utilizing what's at hand". I'm stuck now.

That makes perfect sense to me! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Take the stand and rail over to your neighbor and ask for help he will get as much enjoyment out of helping you as he did giving you the stand.

Here is what I put together

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_002733288.jpg
    IMG_20200411_002733288.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200411_002935496.jpg
    IMG_20200411_002935496.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200411_002952320.jpg
    IMG_20200411_002952320.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200411_003002032.jpg