Planning to start a rocket club (Follow up from my last post)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketEnthusiast101

Reaction score
Hi. So this post is a follow up from the last post in which I asked how can I, as a petro eng undergrad student can make the jump to rocketry related jobs such as designing engines etcetera.

After reading the opinions of others. I'm planning to start a rocket club at my uni. That is because the country I stay in (Malaysia) has only one dedicated rocketry club from my knowledge and that was established back in 2009 and is just starting to get active. Name is the "Kedah rocketry chapter". Besides this, it's an awesome opportunity for me to not only develop my "how-to" skills related to rocketry but it will also improve my leadership skills and other non-related rocketry skills such as Solidworks, Arduino etcetera. Also btw, in Malaysia, pyrotechnics are banned so I will be doing water rocket related stuff. And interestingly enough, no uni has a rocket club which is quite surprising tbh.

Below I have listed the pros and cons of my decision:

Pros:
1 - Leadership
2 - Able to learn rocket math and rocket related software and skills.
3 - Improve the impressions about rocketry in my country
4 - Strengthen other engineering fields in my uni by the creation of rocket club as it would involve help from telecommunication, mechatronics, electronic etcetera.

Cons:
1 - Challenge in managing studies with the rocket club stuff (but when there is a will, there should be a way).
2 - Tight daily schedule. One thing missed. The whole thing in the air lol

These are all the pros and cons that I could think of now, you guys can let me know perhaps more about pros and especially cons when starting one from your experience or your friends experience.

My main reason for starting one is to hit multiple targets at once such as leadership skills, communication skills, rocketry related skills etcetera.

What do you guys think about my decision?

Water rockets, as far as I know (and I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong) only reach very modest altitudes and speeds, and not any of the sorts of performance for which electronics and many of the other techniques we employ come into play.

That being said, here in the US and, I believe, in many other countries, model rocketry and high power rocketry fall under very different laws and regulations than pyrotechnics. In jurisdictions where fireworks are all but completely banned, one can still buy and use BP and APCP rocket motors. If this were not true, the hobby would hardly exist here.

Have you contacted the other club in Malaysia for advice? Are they using strictly water rockets, or can they offer you alternatives?

Water rockets, as far as I know (and I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong) only reach very modest altitudes and speeds, and not any of the sorts of performance for which electronics and many of the other techniques we employ come into play.

That being said, here in the US and, I believe, in many other countries, model rocketry and high power rocketry fall under very different laws and regulations than pyrotechnics. In jurisdictions where fireworks are all but completely banned, one can still buy and use BP and APCP rocket motors. If this were not true, the hobby would hardly exist here.

Have you contacted the other club in Malaysia for advice? Are they using strictly water rockets, or can they offer you alternatives?
There is only one other rocket club. I'm in touch with the personnel of that rocket club. One of the team members is working on starting to use solid rocket motors which are DIY (but very low in impulse). This is for starting a rocket program in STEM education for kids. The other guy I know from that club is currently working on an electronic rocket. So basically, pyrotechnics or the one's ESTES or APOGEE rocket motors are out of the equation. Due to this. I'm planning to start off with the water rockets because they are cheap, no danger associated with them, easy to make, and the rocket stand can also be made very easily. My main goal at least once I start and get it rolling by the end of next month is to stabilize this club for this year. Then from next year. Will try slowly integrating solid rocket motors and etc.

Back