Planet of the Apes "Icarus"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I started this on Sunday morning. Finished that night. Planet of the Apes "Icarus".
It's based on the Centuri Vulcan Rocket. Designed by mycroft in TRF.

Icarus 004.JPG

Attachments

• Icarus 001.JPG
    Icarus 001.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 80
  • Icarus 002.JPG
    Icarus 002.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Icarus 003.JPG
    Icarus 003.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Icrus cont.
I need a BT-20, don't have one in my inventory. Gotta put in a call to jflis.

Attachments

• Icarus 002.JPG
    Icarus 002.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Icarus 003.JPG
    Icarus 003.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Icarus 004.JPG
    Icarus 004.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Icarus 005.JPG
    Icarus 005.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Icarus 006.JPG
    Icarus 006.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Cool!! Do you know if there's any way I could get those drawings?!

I flew the Icarus yesterday at MMMS in Berwick, Maine on a B6-4 and streamer recovery. It wobbled all the way up and drifted back to the pad, almost. Just a tad of damage, crushing, one fin/wing tip. I do not like stuffing a chute in a BT-20 tube so I might upscale this bird to a BT-50 or-55.
Anyone knows why it wobbles? I have just over a tad of an ounce of sinkers in the nose cone. They rattle nicely.

Attachments

• MMMS Launch 3-24-12 011.JPG
    MMMS Launch 3-24-12 011.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 46
Anyone knows why it wobbles? I have just over a tad of an ounce of sinkers in the nose cone. They rattle nicely.

All of my Vulcan clones, from MMX to BT70 have been tail waggers also.

It looks great! (your rocket, not the wagging)

Looks like a cool lil rocket!
Of the 3 Scuds I designed, the Scud-B model has a wobble in it too. It could be just the way "I" built it, but I've never been able to figure out why it wobbles, and the other 2 don't...
Eric:)

The finished product looks great ! Now for my stupid question.What do you mean by wobble? I've had a few wander a bit, even had one try to write a name in the air. Are you talking about the tail kicking in and out?

Very nice and clean rocket.
Very creative!!!
Did not know it was avail on cardstock.
Agreed upscale that thing.
Cornyl

Exactly! Kicking in and out?

Wobble, like the waffle bird!:eyeroll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L165XZaSbFw

OK, I'm gonna take a stab at this. IF I had to guess, I'd say the ship is a bit short coupled and the combination of that and the cross section of the fins probably lends itself to the condition. After making that stupid sounding statement, I'm willing to bet a little less power would deminish the problem while a little more might make it do crazy eights. Just a thought but you might want to try . Just don't wreck the ship--I like it!!

OK, I'm gonna take a stab at this. IF I had to guess, I'd say the ship is a bit short coupled and the combination of that and the cross section of the fins probably lends itself to the condition. After making that stupid sounding statement, I'm willing to bet a little less power would deminish the problem while a little more might make it do crazy eights. Just a thought but you might want to try . Just don't wreck the ship--I like it!!

yea dont wreck it. it costs too much:wink:

attachment.php

“...going...going...gone.”

“Okay. We're here to stay.”

;)

Hmmmm, upscaled, balsa skinned, hmmmmm........ crap! Not another damn rocket, says the wife.

Is that a threat???:lol: Maybe we should just both do it. Crap - what have I just gotten myself into. It is going to have to wait until I finish my current build though.

Last edited:
You realize you'll have to wait like 50,000 years for it to come back.

Back