Perfect Tube Marking Guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT2000

Less-Than-Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I am back into rocketry after all of these years, I figured that I would also refine my construction techniques compared to those that I employed as a kid. We all had used a door jamb as a tube marking guide (as per Estes' recommendation) when we were starting out. After that, it was a piece of aluminum angle to mark tubes. While I'm sure that I am not the first person to discover this, I think that I have inadvertently stumbled across the perfect tube marking guide.

As a professional photographer for the past 20+ years, I have also acquired the tools and trappings for the framing and matting of prints. Among these items is a 36" long aluminum straight edge that I picked up in a local Ace Hardware (item #SVE360ACE). Featuring a raised edge that aids in handling and protects fingers, I found that it also serves as a fantastic tube marking guide. The radius of the undercut allows the tube to remain in direct contact with the marking guide -- there are no gaps between the tube and the straight edge. The attached photos show this in use with various body tubes ranging from BT-60 to BT-5. (With the BT-5, some upward finger pressure is required to keep the tube in contact with edge.)

I love it when I have a tool that serves multiple purposes. For $19, this is a great bargain!

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • end view.jpg
    end view.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 0
  • BT60.jpg
    BT60.jpg
    896.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BT50.jpg
    BT50.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BT20.jpg
    BT20.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BT5.jpg
    BT5.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 0
I picked this up for .99 at the Goodwill. I think these are called drafting rulers. The indent and triangular shape works great for tube marking. Limited to 12" at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 0
Back