PembertonTech 3FNC Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What I did is slip those two glued together corrugated cardboard rings into the aft end and epoxied them to the aft centering ring. Depend on thickness you could use three instead of two, I should have. The aft most ring is the one the lip of the tail cone gets epoxied to. The first picture is a dry fit...

In the second picture 30 minute hobby grade epoxy is applied to lip of the tail cone and the lip of the aft most sandwiched cardboard centering ring and allowed to dry. I used a stiff piece of tubing and weights to keep it round and centered.

2012-08-04-3FNC-0003.jpg

2012-08-04-3FNC-0004.jpg

So far so good! :grin::grin::grin:

It seems to be holding and perhaps will need a minimal amount of filler around the edge.

2012-08-04-3FNC-0006.jpg

2012-08-04-3FNC-0005.jpg

Next up the tip pods...

Pretty much going by the Book of Destructions on this phase.

The 6.5 inch dowel is cut into threes (about 2.16 inches give or take which I rounded to the nearest 1/16th - 55mm per section)

2012-08-04-3FNC-0007.jpg

Into the drill they went... I am not showing the rounding phase (but you get the idea). The pictures are of the more 'pointy' phase.

2012-08-04-3FNC-0009.jpg

2012-08-04-3FNC-0010.jpg

That's where we are now. One down, two to go... then fine sand them, and cut the dreaded notch... stay tuned...
:wink:

Last edited:

I drew the prescribed line down the side of a pod.

Rube Goldberg and me came up with a clamp. Two pieces of coffee stir stick in a C clamp.
Then me a 14,000 RPM of reinforced cutting wheel did the deed.

Worked out better than I thought. Just go slow and light.... work it wider and deeper slowly with light pressure. And wear protection.

2012-08-05-3FNC-0001.jpg

2012-08-05-3FNC-0002.jpg

2012-08-05-3FNC-0003.jpg

BTW: Spot the mistake?

That sure is a cool looking rocket. But man, it's a lot more complex than it looks!

They may not look purdy, but I assure you once on the round, with some filleting and putty applied, they'll look the part. I made two boo boos. One I made the slot the length of the pod and the other the cut off wheel whipped around once (not holding it firm enough) and slotted the outside.

Epoxy clay and bondo spot putty will make both, go away. :eek:

2012-08-05-3FNC-0001-2.jpg

2012-08-05-3FNC-0004.jpg

2012-08-05-3FNC-0005.jpg

Oh and the Aviation? That came AFTER working with the Dremel I assure you!! Do not use power tools (or sharp thingies) and drink!!! :no: :no: Capiche?

So here's the bondo spot putty. It was done to varying degrees on each pod.

2012-08-08-3FNC-0001.jpg

And we went ahead, whilst the Bondo dries, and glued on the Launch Lugs. No reasons to split the lug in half like I did, I just did it because :wink:

2012-08-08-3FNC-0002.jpg

Tell me to stop if I am boring you. :wink:

At my glacial pace, who knows when I'll be done? Pictures sure!!!

I kind of am a tad put off by video. My impression of video is... wait... I'll go to another thread and get the exact words.... ;)
Searching... searching.... well I found this: Not exactly what I was about to say... ;)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ooting-a-rocket-launching&p=349450#post349450

So since this is my thread, and Eric gave me a great segue... :wink: (and forgive me if I ranted about this before) :rant: :rant:

-RANT AHEAD-
Rocket videos tend to be too far away because of how hard it is to follow the rocket in the first place, people don't turn off auto focus (or can't) and just set the darn thing at infinity (if possible). This means as soon as the rocket is 2 seconds into the flight it's a speck going in and out of focus because apparently its really hard (I would not know) to find the rocket and zoom in. And if they do zoom in, well there goes that crazy auto focus again and they completely lose it... next thing you see is a rocket descending on a chute.
-RANT TERMINATED-

So me, I go for burst mode stills... which I admit is only gonna catch a small (but I hope up close) part of the flight. I am looking at getting a used Casio something-or-another for tripod mounted slo-mo. :)

Thanks for the seque Eric! LoL!

I'm reaching the point where I can begin committing paint. Having graduated with a PhD (Positively huge Drips) from the Captain Low 'n Slow School of Fine Arts... I suspect this is going to be brutal...

Here we see the victim with even more Bondo Spot Putty.

2012-08-19-3FNC-0001.jpg

And shuttering in fear of me using paint on it :lol:

2012-08-21-3FNC-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Been busy...

But all my builds, unlike many, are "Do what I want, when I want." That way I enjoy the hobby without the "Why have all this if I don't play with it?", syndrome.

Here's where we are... a bit more sanding and bondo...

2012-08-21-3FNC-0002.jpg

2012-08-21-3FNC-0003.jpg

Then shot it with a coat of white primer and noticed the launch lugs weren't fair'd in very well. So some sanding and a bit more bondo.

2012-09-03-3FNC-0002.jpg

And then some sanding of the primer and bondo and another shot of primer which we'll let dry for a bit...

2012-09-09-3FNC-0003.jpg

Been busy...

But all my builds, unlike many, are "Do what I want, when I want." That way I enjoy the hobby without the "Why have all this if I don't play with it?", syndrome.

Here's where we are... a bit more sanding and bondo...

View attachment 96837

View attachment 96838

Then shot it with a coat of white primer and noticed the launch lugs weren't fair'd in very well. So some sanding and a bit more bondo.

View attachment 96839

And then some sanding of the primer and bondo and another shot of primer which we'll let dry for a bit...

View attachment 96840

You make our kits look good....

Now I've gone and done it!! The paint has hit the fan... This Valspar Silver sucked. Paint would build up around the nozzle edges and then spit droplets of paint. Brand new can. Very unusual as I've had good luck with Valspar in the past. Oh well, after all, I am a graduate of the Captain Low n Slow school of Fine Arts. :lol:

The upside is, though a bit rough, it's still pretty nice so far. BTW: I did not seal the fins... kinda regretting that now. Oh well, it'll look the part... It actually looks a little worse than it is because the flash is harsh.

Contemplating some color at one or more of the fin tips... Maybe removing the paint from the nose baffle rivets as those were shiny. Maybe a few more vinyl decals to go with the ones in the kit...

Progress... slow but sure (sort of).

2012-09-29-3FNC-0001.jpg

2012-09-29-3FNC-0002.jpg

2012-09-29-3FNC-0003.jpg

2012-09-29-3FNC-0006.jpg

2012-09-29-3FNC-0007.jpg

Now I've gone and done it!! The paint has hit the fan... This Valspar Silver sucked. Paint would build up around the nozzle edges and then spit droplets of paint. Brand new can. Very unusual as I've had good luck with Valspar in the past. Oh well, after all, I am a graduate of the Captain Low n Slow school of Fine Arts. :lol:

You have learned well, Grasshopper.

Looks great to me! How about bright red fin tips and nose cone tip?

Have been studying this thread as reference material. Not sure when, but I'm almost certain a 3FNC is in my future, somewhere. Yours turned out GREAT! Congrats!

Later!

--Coop

Looks great from here! I never noticed the rivets before, they add a nice touch. Some sort of port holes, perhaps?

Looks great from here! I never noticed the rivets before, they add a nice touch. Some sort of port holes, perhaps?

Thats what I am thinking... :)

Looks great to me! How about bright red fin tips and nose cone tip?

Crappy minds think a-like! :wink:

Right now I just am letting it dry dry dry. I already handled it once too often and remember, until clear coated, that silver dulls with handling. :cry: :mad: Have to use gloves or clear coat it first, then red/orange, then decals, then clear again. - maybe... :grin:

Mighty Masterfull. :clap:
Me-self...red wouldnt be my choice for an accent color.

Mighty Masterfull. :clap:
Me-self...red wouldnt be my choice for an accent color.

Ain't done a thing yet... :)
I am convincing myself to leave it ALONE for a fews days. Let the paint cure.

:)

Other thoughts are gold accents... or leave it classic and get on with vinyl application and clear coat. ROC Launch is two weeks from yesterday... maiden then I think... Motor??? Not sure but maybe a CTI G skid or a CTI G red. Or even a white as most 50's B/W films I think showed the smoke as white...

Some progress... my own stuff and Lama stuff... stuff is stuff

Feedback on the Vinyl... Perhaps over time the transfer tape gets gooey? But for sure, it transfers both the vinyl and some goo... The transfer tape is VERY aggressive. My transfer tape less so. But still as you can see... not bad... :wink:

2012-10-07-3FNC-0001.jpg

2012-10-07-3FNC-0002.jpg

Back