pearl paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RimfireJim

Reaction score
I want to try some pearl paint finishes, but I'm having trouble finding much information on how to get the best effect with them. I tried some Testor's Boyd Purple Pearl over Krylon purple, and while it jazzed up the finish some, it was less than awesome. I realized that maybe the basecoat needs to be a different color than the pearl coat. I searched TRF and paint manufacturers' websites, plus a general Google search, on painting with pearls and couldn't find much. Any advice? Other than using up all my (expensive) paint trying to find a combination that looks cool?

How about a plastic model forum. I think they may have more experience with the pearl paint than we have.

Heck I'm still trying to get a good finish with Krylon and that stuff is easy to use!

are they translucent? all the ones I've used so far are solid so it didn't matter too much about the undercoat. the paints I use reccomend a black or white undercoat

if it's tranlucent than a gold or silver undercoat would be really sharp!

are they translucent? all the ones I've used so far are solid so it didn't matter too much about the undercoat. the paints I use reccomend a black or white undercoat

if it's tranlucent than a gold or silver undercoat would be really sharp!

Translucent paints are typically referred to as Candy's Candy's certainly can be difficult to get a good finish and the undercoat can drastically change the appearance as well as the number of coats of candy you apply. Pearls, however, should be straightforward and similar to any solid color to apply. While a black or white basecoat is what I typically use for pearls, a colored basecoat - similar to that of pearl - should still give you a nice effect. Make sure you shake the can thoroughly to completely and uniformly mix the pearlescent particles.

From my experience, the aerosol pearls don't come close to giving as a nice and noticeable a pearl finish as the automotive pearls sprayed through a paint gun...these have a much more "pearly" effect than any aerosol pearl.

The full brilliance of a pearl will only show up in nice, bright sunlight. Also, a clear coat over the pearl (even the aerosols) will often bring out more of the pearl effect.

I have gotten some pretty good result from using Silver as a basecoat for my Pearls and Candy topcoats..

Here is Black'N'Blue Pearl(Testors) nose cone on my Reaver
Reaver013.jpg

And Candy Apple Red on my DRM
DerRedMax012sm.jpg

I forgot to mention that I'm applying it with an airbrush, not a rattle can, so that gives me more control. While not truly translucent, the base color will show through, or have some effect, depending on how heavy I apply the pearl coat. Or that is what I was thinking; maybe I'm way off base there and should treat it as an opaque finish.

Pantherjon's Reaver is what I was after on my first attempt (that's mighty purty, PJ). Maybe I just didn't put enough on (easy to do light coats with the airbrush), and I didn't try a clear over it. Finesse-it II ruined it, so it was either not fully cured or way too thin.

I'll try some test panels of the pearl over black, white, silver, and similar color basecoats, and try giving them a gloss clear coat. I'm picking up some Createx pearl paints, too, with the 50% off coupons Michael's is running now, so I'll give those a try, too.

Jim, do not try to buff pearl or metal-flake paint. The abrasive will damage the pearls/flakes. Clear-coat, then buff. (Assuming I read your post right).

Jim, do not try to buff pearl or metal-flake paint. The abrasive will damage the pearls/flakes. Clear-coat, then buff. (Assuming I read your post right).

Yup, you read it right. I knew you can't polish out metallics, but didn't know that that was the case with pearls, too. Makes sense. Thanks.

I used createx pearl purple on my interceptor, I didn't intend to do a pearl color but it was the only purple I had. I sprayed it over the white basecoat.
It goes on thin so it took several light coats.

P1010001.jpg

Back