Patriot Pro Series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerace721

Reaction score
Does anyone have the plans to the Patriot PRO series? The 4-engine cluster...I want to build it, but I want to make sure I get the correct dimension for it. I looked on YORP, but no luck...

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone....

I have one built. Dont have the plans anymore, but its a 4/24mm cluster built with the Loc 3.1" airframe

I gave one away down in Orangeburg last month. It went to the first Kid to recover it. It was avery nice flight on 4 D12-5 motors.

Last edited:
It uses the same nose cone as the Estes Big Daddy. The tubing was lighter then LOC. I think Totally Tubular has the tubes. The plans including the templates are on the Jim Z site.

Last edited:
OK, I went to the shop and measured it. The payload bay fits very loosely into a standard paper 3" MMT,and a paper 3" coupler will NOT fit into the rocket body tube. I know this adds to the confusion, but if you used standard 3" parts I think you will be fine.

I don't believe it is LOC tubing. If I am not mistaken, it is the same size tubing as the big daddy (in fact, IFRC, the nosecone on the big daddy is the same as the pro patriot nosecone) and both are available from apogee.

Braden

I don't believe it is LOC tubing. If I am not mistaken, it is the same size tubing as the big daddy (in fact, IFRC, the nosecone on the big daddy is the same as the pro patriot nosecone) and both are available from apogee.

Braden
Don't think so. A friend has one, and he's pranged it a couple of times... always has a tough time finding some replacement tubing. The Big Daddy is standard Estes BT-80.

The "Pro" series kits used some oddball tube sizes. I have the Maxi-Force, and have never seen anything the same diameter.

Big Daddy is 3", not bt80. The 3" BD tube Is the same Mercury Engineering sells.

The 3" nose cone from Mercury is an inch or so longer than the Estes Big Daddy nose cone.

Don't think so. A friend has one, and he's pranged it a couple of times... always has a tough time finding some replacement tubing. The Big Daddy is standard Estes BT-80.

The "Pro" series kits used some oddball tube sizes. I have the Maxi-Force, and have never seen anything the same diameter.

Big daddy is three inch. The nosecone on the apogee nosecone page that is three inch for thick wall tubing is the same nosecone as the one that comes with the big daddy (which I was told also was for the pro patriot) I know because I ordered one for my 54mm big daddy project after I melted the first one with polyester resin.

Braden

Holy crap! Maybe I should change my username to Captain Clueless. I was sure the Big Daddy was BT-80. Just compared it with the Fat Boy, and sure enough... it's 3". :eek:

Guys,

I have my Estes Patriot PRO plans...and I still have the rocket. When I launched mine the first time, it 'zippered' the BT badly (back in 1995), so I ordered what I thought would be a good tube replacement for it from LOC/Precision. The LOC tube ended up being slightly wider (and a whole lot stronger) than the original tube, so I did some jiggering to come up with a solution that used some of he new tube, most of the original tube and the original nose cone. I can take whatever measurements you need, as well as scan the plans in (or take photos of the plans if you don't need that much detail).

FC

Last edited:
Some additional information.

I can confirm the BT is 3" OD. I have the original LOC/Precision catalog I ordered the replacement BT from (since Estes at the time didn't offer a 3" tube). It was the BT-3.00 tube (3.00" ID, 3.10" OD) and originally, I had planned to replace everything forward of the original tube coupler with the new, stronger LOC tube, including a nose cone I ordered at the same time (PNC-3.00). However, the new NC was WAY longer than I expected, and at the time, I didn't know about any other options for a BT and NC that were available. So I was creative, cut out the old BT forward of the original coupler except for a little bit of a 'lip', then put some new BT on, then used the original BT that I cut as the 'top' part of the rocket. So what you see now is a Patriot with a slightly 'thicker' area near the top of the rocket that corresponds to the old 'yellow' collar. Anyway, the new tube JUST fit over the old tube (with a little sanding), so, yea, the OD of the old tube was 3".

Also, examining the rocket just now, I noticed my shock cord was REALLY short! No wonder it zippered...

FC

Does anyone have the plans to the Patriot PRO series? The 4-engine cluster...I want to build it, but I want to make sure I get the correct dimension for it. I looked on YORP, but no luck...

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone....

Just in case you haven't found this:

Plans from the JimZ site:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est2066.htm

An old build thread from YORF:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=3734&page=1&pp=10&highlight=patriot

Search TRF and YORF for more.

:)

Last edited:
Back