pan am space clipper 2001

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_mills

Reaction score
The resemblance between the back end of this ship and the Estes nose cone is too close to be coincidental. Did Estes ever make a model or did the movie borrow the nose cone for the special effects ?

Estes didn't sell plastic nose cones in the 60's when the movie was made. You must have the rocket disease pretty bad. You are starting to see Estes parts in everything.

0.541 0.736 0.976 1.325 1.637 2.217

For all you computer incapable types (it couldn't be laziness; after all, you did reply to the thread) have a look at these images.

That is if clicking on the link isn't too much trouble. :wink:

At least in my case, the sarcastic response about not knowing what the OP was talking about was not due to the fact that I couldn't look up "Pan Am Space Clipper 2001 Space Odyssey" myself. It just seems that if a person is going to start a thread about the remarkable resemblance between two things, then that person should post the two pics, and not expect everyone to Google it.

Now that you've done the legwork for the OP of posting links to pics of the ship, I'm still in the dark about exactly what Estes nose cone the OP thinks the rear end of the space clipper looks like. Do you have any ideas? It doesn't look like any nose cone I am aware of. I still have no idea what the OP is talking about. Can you get back to us with pics of the nose cone? Thanks!

Last edited:
For all you computer incapable types (it couldn't be laziness; after all, you did reply to the thread) have a look at these images.

That is if clicking on the link isn't too much trouble. :wink:

Still not sure I understand the connection between an Estes nose cone and the tail cone of this Pan Am clipper....

At least in my case, the sarcastic response about not knowing what the OP was talking about was not due to the fact that I couldn't look up "Pan Am Space Clipper 2001 Space Odyssey" myself. It just seems that if a person is going to start a thread about the remarkable resemblance between two things, then that person should post the two pics, and not expect everyone to Google it.

Now that you've done the legwork for the OP of posting links to pics of the ship, I'm still in the dark about exactly what Estes nose cone the OP thinks the rear end of the space clipper likes like. Do you have any ideas? It doesn't look like any nose cone I am aware of. I still have no idea what the OP is talking about. Can you get back to us with pics of the nose cone? Thanks!

Heck Yeah!!! That's what I felt about this Thread. You put into Words what I could only express with my expression of Befuddlement.
Well Spoken.

My best guess is the cone for the Xarconian cruiser---in a stretch I could see it--in a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

snip.
Now that you've done the legwork for the OP of posting links to pics of the ship, I'm still in the dark about exactly what Estes nose cone the OP thinks the rear end of the space clipper likes like. Do you have any ideas? It doesn't look like any nose cone I am aware of. I still have no idea what the OP is talking about. Can you get back to us with pics of the nose cone? Thanks!

+1
Me too. I don't claim to have every Estes catalog memorized like some people, although there are one or two that I remember a little foggily.

Adrian

Last edited:

Now that you've done the legwork for the OP of posting links to pics of the ship, I'm still in the dark about exactly what Estes nose cone the OP thinks the rear end of the space clipper looks like. Do you have any ideas? It doesn't look like any nose cone I am aware of. I still have no idea what the OP is talking about. Can you get back to us with pics of the nose cone? Thanks!
Thanks, TB for reading and responding.

+1
Me too. I don't claim to have every Estes catalog memorized like some people, although there are one or two that I remember a little foggily.

Adrian
I may have done the other leg work to post the Estes nose cone but, like Adrian, I'm not up on all the different molds Estes has used over the years.

The OP is a relative newbie so we should cut him some slack about not depicting the items in question. That said, Scott, what nose cone did you mean?

The nose cone I meant was from kit 1903 the earliest release I find for it is 1983 I speculate that Estes was planning/ developing a spaceplane model and that the movie 2001 didn't have the popularity they wetter hoping for, so they cancelled is release. So since they had this miss in hand and nothing to do with it, they put it to use somewhere else . I was just hoping for some confirmation to my theory .

heres a couple pics

I just dont think the shapes are that much of a coincidence. they even have the little side ear like projections. Only real difference is that the windshield was rounded for the estes, that could be to avoid copyright infringement .
P1080472.jpg1903_83.jpg

The nose cone I meant was from kit 1903 the earliest release I find for it is 1983 I speculate that Estes was planning/ developing a spaceplane model and that the movie 2001 didn't have the popularity they wetter hoping for, so they cancelled is release. So since they had this miss in hand and nothing to do with it, they put it to use somewhere else . I was just hoping for some confirmation to my theory .

Nice thought but not true.

Well, there maybe some similar geometries, but what about the Douglas D-558-2?

Douglas-Skyrocket-THREE-VIEW.jpg

Greg

im not trying to convince anyone, its obvious to me, just looking for someone from estes to confirm my suspicion

The designers at Estes certainly could have been influenced by 2001 and the Douglas jet. Could have come out of their own minds, too.
Once they spend the money on the mold for the plastic part, they have to make and sell lots and lots of those parts to make their capital investment back and then a profit.
Those who know the product line better than I can point out some intricate plastic nose cones that were used on multiple models over the years.
The large initial investment in the mold is why lots of the smaller kit companies use balsa nose cones.

Good eye, Scott. I see you're new to the forum (welcome!) and, if you're newish to rocketry, you'll start seeing rocket parts in all kinds of things you've been looking at all your life.

I can see it a little bit, but it is not exact. The black part on the clipper, which I would expect to be the exhaust location, looks more rounded on the nose cone. Also, I think the clipper is somewhat flattened on the bottom, whereas the Estes nose cone is cylindrical all the way around. If this was planned for an Estes flying model, I think the nose cone would have had to be removed and a motor put in its place. There is still the problem with the clipper bottom flatness. It looks like the entire clipper airframe is somewhat flattened on the bottom. With regards to the movie 2011, it was immensely popular. I don't see how that could have hurt model rocket sales.

I suffer from a very rare genetic disorder.
Everything looks like a '63 split window vette to me.

Bones

There is a passing resemblance, but they are not the same. And the closer you look, the less alike they seem.

Back