• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Painting with Sander Sealer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claytonbirchenough

Reaction score
So I've got a HyperLoc 1600, and I want to put a good paint finish on it. I've read around a little, and bought this.

As of right now, I'm planning to put this on the wood fins, but was considering putting this on the cardboard body tube also. Any suggestions? I'm planning on spray painting everything a couple times over, but am looking for a pretty glossy finish if I can get it... thanks!

no need for the body tube unless it is a rough tube with no coating but i don't think it will hurt anything. Seal the wood and sand it smooth then start using sanding primer and fillers to smooth everything to your liking.

You have just opened a can of worms and will be presented with nearly every conceivable finishing technique known to the rocketry community.

I just use bargain primer from Walmart (HomeShades brand) to fill seams on tubes. It sells for about $1.35, dries pretty quickly, and sands easily. My favorite is Duplicolor primer, but it is much more expensive.

A couple initial coats, then sand down enough that you are building up the primer mostly in the seams. The key is to get the seam depressions level with the body tube surface. If you don't sand down enough, you'll see seams after a dozen coats, they just won't be as pronounced.

Last edited:
So I've got a HyperLoc 1600, and I want to put a good paint finish on it. I've read around a little, and bought this.

As of right now, I'm planning to put this on the wood fins, but was considering putting this on the cardboard body tube also. Any suggestions? I'm planning on spray painting everything a couple times over, but am looking for a pretty glossy finish if I can get it... thanks!

Patra or Midwest Sanding sealer is just that a Sealer. It does not have enough solids in it to quickly build up in wood grain or body tube seams. There is a Balsa Filler that has plenty of Solids for sealing Bass or Balsa wood but doesn't do a very good job on body tube seams as it has a tendency to crack with rough handling.

I Haven't used any kind of Wood Filler or Body Tube Seam filler in more the 20years now. I use the Cheapest Grey, Brown or Black Auto primer I can get (currently Wal-Mart Colorplace Grey & Brown) .85 to 1.30 per can depending on how many you buy.
The process is very easy. Apply 3 heavy wet coats on the entire model allowing about 3 minutes between coats. If the Balsa Fins, Transition and NoseCone have very deep grain, Hit them first before the first overall model coat. After those 3 wet coats have been applied let the model sit over night, sometimes 2 days depending on the humidity when you sprayed. USE the Sniff Test to determine if the first 3 coats have cured....( with you nose ON the surface of the model if you can still smell solvent it is NOT ready for sanding) If it has outgassed then sand all surfaces with 220 -240 grit sand paper. If bare wood or cardboard is reached. Stop sanding and apply another 3 wet coats of Primer, let cure overnight and repeat. This time you should be able to reduce the grit to 320-360 sandpaper until a completely smooth surface is obtained. The model is now ready for it's first base Color coat, apply lightly, allow to dry and check for blemishes, dust, hairs and other imperfections. If you find any they can be removed with light wet sanding with 400-600 grit sandpaper. Taking extra care not to get the open exposed edges of the tube wet in the process. If you are not comfortable this step can be done with Dry 400-600grit sandpaper. Once the surface blemish(s) have been removed it's time to apply the lightest of the Top color coats. Allow to dry completely (Sniff Test) then mask and apply whatever other colors are in the paint scheme.
After the color coats have completely dried (Sniff Test and at least a couple extra days allowed). Any Paint Dams can be removed by rubbing with 3m Finessit-II Polishing medium. ( NOTE THIS IS NOT A RUBBING COMPOUND). Follow the directions on the bottle. With a soft cotton cloth, a little Finessit-II and some elbow grease all hint of any paint dam(s), stray dust, hair ect will be gone. Decals are then applied. After decals or Vinyl sticker decorating if a protective coating is desired the I strongly suggest the use of Pledge with Future over any other rattle can Clear coat. Pledge vinyl Floor Polish is an acrylic coating with UV additive at is not only more flexible then Rattle Can Clears it can also be touched up a any time without much trouble or build up. If applying Pledge with a polybrush or papertowel swab seems like to much trouble. The only Other clear coat product I recommend for application to entire models is NU-Finish Polymer Car polish. It is NOT a wax but a Polymer the binds with the applied paint. IT does not harden to a cracking coating as ALL Rattle Can Clear Coats do. It also can be re-applied at any time without worry about build up and Protest applied decals and paint much better then Rattle Can Clears.

The ONLY use I have for Rattle Can Clear Coatings is Krylon UV Resistant Clear Both Matte and Gloss along with Krylon 1306 workable Fixitif which are used to seal and protect inkjet and Alps printer made entire decal Sheets before the are cut.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and all.

It seems I have opened a can of worms with regards to finishing rockets with pain haha.

I am maybe too unfamiliar with sanding sealer, but will it act as a primer? So can I just lather the plywood fins with it and then spray pain that?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and all.

It seems I have opened a can of worms with regards to finishing rockets with pain haha.

I am maybe too unfamiliar with sanding sealer, but will it act as a primer? So can I just lather the plywood fins with it and then spray pain that?

Well I suppose the answer would be yes you can use a sanding sealer to act like a primer. But remember the reason for primer is to act as a conversion coating between the base substrate (Wood,Plastic,Metal etc). That said: a single coat of sanding sealer will in fact "Seal" the surfaces and allow whatever paint you use will stick but it will NOT give you a good looking rocket finish.

You can use sanding sealer to fill and primer your grain and body seams. the Fact is it will take a LOT of time and Many many coats of "sanding sealer" to fill these grain and seams. Balsa Filler Coat (Midwest) will fill these seams and grain lines with as little as 3-4 coats. Others use Elemer's fill n finish, diluted with water to a paste with fills both with a coat or two but I've found it very messy and inconsistant requiring additional spot filling to correct multi areas.
As mentioned earlier, I don't use and haven't used any type of filler for a very long time, I've found the use of Cheap Auto Primer works as both filler and primer to create babies butt smooth model finishes.
Another option is to use water thin and medium CA to soak into the balsa parts first than use Medium CA as an overall balsa part coating before sanding with 220-360 grit sandpapers than a spray coat or 2 of Cheapy grey primer before sanding with 360grit then applying paint.

There are all kinds of paint prep and application processes that can be used depending on your comfort level and experience. Only you can determine what level of finishing YOU will consider "Good enough". Many on this forum do wonderful finish work which require many hours more time to perfect then it takes to build our models. Anything you can do to shorten this time, is a plus but everything has a price. Short-cuts are generally the LONGEST way to do anything.
Hope that short of answers your question. In short only you can decide what you want your models to look like. If you don't care if the grain lines and body seams show close up you do not need to fill or seal anything. Many modelers simply build their models, apply a single coat of primer, and rattle can paint in whatever colors that wish. These models look great on the launch pad 30 feet away and fly just fine. A little more Aero smoothing (to mirror finish) Can add as much as 20-25% in achived altitude on the same model but will cost you a good amount of time to achive that degree of finish.
Some time ago I did a finished model Altitude difference test program which confirmed these altitude increases. Hope this helps a little.

065a-sm_Javelin-1_(Rock-it)_05-01-90.jpg

065c_Javelin a&b Finish Test models_07-15-90.jpg

066a-sm_Javelin-2_(Smoothy)_05-01-90.jpg

Last edited:
Back