Con-Tact chalkboard black adhesive sheet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing it recommended by a highly regarded builder for applying black stripe graphics, I bought a roll of

Con-Tact 06F-C9052-06 Multi-Purpose Self-Adhesive Chalk Board Liner, 6 ft L x 18 in W, Black

At least that's the closest thing I could find to the description provided. It arrived this morning.

Unfortunately, the surface isn't just matte or flat, it's ROUGH. Like whatever the roughest surface finish in OR is, that's probably not rough enough. It probably does work well to make rockets look black and stripey and looks good from a distance, but I don't want to spray enough clearcoat on my rocket to make this stuff smooth. That would be a lot of paint weight, and I'm trying to get away from paint weight overall.

So I'm returning it. Thankfully, I drive right past the Walmart every day, so the hassle is minor relative to the learning I've accomplished.

Guess I'm back to placing that order for more Tamiya masking tape.

Unless I ordered the wrong thing. Willing to try again if someone says, "No, this part number is good and smooth."

Do you have a sign shop close by? You may be able to pick up some of their sign vinyl 'off cuts' for next to nothing.

Another option would be Monokote trim sheets. They are self-adhesive and don't require the use of a heat gun like regular Monokote. With each sheet being 36" long, you would be able to cut stripes to desired width and wrap up to a 10"+ diameter airframe.

I'm not entirely sure what would be the point of using the chalkboard stuff in the first place, vs. all the other adhesive materials you can get with more appealing surfaces.

It was specifically recommended:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-old-finishing-trim-material.html
This black, self adhesive Contact paper is so much cheaper than anything else out there. With my 40% off coupon from Michael's, I bought a 6 feet X 18 inch roll for $4.47! This could be a lifetime supply.
PLEASE NOTE: Other colors of Con-Tact brand paper might be "re-positionable, not permanant. This black, chalkboard material is permanant. Be sure to look for Con-tact Paper for Arts and Crafts.
Growing up, I knew the Contact Paper brand. But I only associated it with my Mother, covering a shelf or lining the bottom of a drawer.
Jason used the matte finish Chalkboard cover. It's very thin and the flat black with a slight texture looked great on this rocket.

I guess the "slight texture" is perfectly acceptable for some builders. Just not for me.

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/09/260-space-booster-build-part-19-black.html
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/03/corkscrew-2-build-part-9-black-ring.html

It was specifically recommended:
Yeah, I just don't know why it would be.
[actually I guess I do understand why it would be in this case, but to me it's at best an "unconventional" choice]

However, I *LOVE* the rocket shown in that post.
1703185693058.png
The stock Redstar is just OK, but that custom booster really puts it over the top. Kudos to Jason Dembroski for that one.

I have a rocket that Chris Michielssen built and finished using the chalkboard Con-Tact paper. It's a scale model so the matte finish of the black works well. And it looks so good that I can barely get away with claiming that I built it.

Yeah, I just don't know why it would be.
[actually I guess I do understand why it would be in this case, but to me it's at best an "unconventional" choice]

However, I *LOVE* the rocket shown in that post.
View attachment 621059
The stock Redstar is just OK, but that custom booster really puts it over the top. Kudos to Jason Dembroski for that one.

Chris uses Monocote in several of his builds but uses Con-Tac more often. Not to speak for Chris but some of his recommendations are oriented toward things that are generally easy to get without depending on proprietary sources - Con-Tac Chalkboard paper is usually available at box stores/home stores, unlike Monocote that you’d need to buy/order from a dedicated hobby store/vendor. Or like Fabri Tac adhesive, which he recommends for plastic to paper joints, it’s available just about at any fabric or craft store.

Of course these days you can order nearly anything you need via the internet 😎

Chris uses Monocote in several of his builds but uses Con-Tac more often. Not to speak for Chris but some of his recommendations are oriented toward things that are generally easy to get without depending on proprietary sources - Con-Tac Chalkboard paper is usually available at box stores/home stores, unlike Monocote that you’d need to buy/order from a dedicated hobby store/vendor. Or like Fabri Tac adhesive, which he recommends for plastic to paper joints, it’s available just about at any fabric or craft store.

Of course these days you can order nearly anything you need via the internet 😎
I think it's the chalkboard finish that just seems undesirable to me.

The monokote trim peels from paper backing and then is self-adhesive. Is the sign vinyl have self-adhesive?

I have rolls of Sign Vinyl and also MonoCoat Trim Sheet. MC Trim sheets are thinner, but I prefer Sign Vinyl to wrap parts of rockets with. You can make a paint-less rocket with it. It is self-Adhesive.

Sign Vinyl is what Vinyl Decals are made from.

I put Trim Sheets like the Yellow/Black checker board wraps at the end of my Orange rockets where the black payload bays meet. The Silver is also MC Trim Sheet.

Example: back when I was Fat:

1703194172906.png

Last edited:
Keep in mind to correctly place MonoCoat Trim or Sign Vinyl, you take off the paper backing and coat the adhesive side with warm water with a "little" soap in it. You apply it to where you want it and it does not "Grab"

Then hold it firm and use a credit card or a special made Vinyl tool that is just thicker and squeegee the water and air bubbles from underneath the Vinyl. Made sure it is still where you want it. Let dry 24 hours.

This is how Auto Graphics shops put Graphics on cars.

I have rolls of Sign Vinyl and also MonoCoat Trim Sheet. MC Trim sheets are thinner, but I prefer Sign Vinyl to wrap parts of rockets with. You can make a paint-less rocket with it. It is self-Adhesive.

Sign Vinyl is what Vinyl Decals are made from.

I put Trim Sheets like the Yellow/Black checker board wraps at the end of my Orange rockets where the black payload bays meet. The Silver is also MC Trim Sheet.

I tried Monokote and/or Econokote on LPR/BP rockets in BT-20, BT-55 and BT-60. Had issues with the stuff wrinkling due to getting too hot from the ejection charge in all three sizes. But those are thin wall. The BT-20 rocket also had the covering melt and pull away from the forward end of the airframe due to the flame, but it was about a 160mm long airframe with an 18x70 motor.

I'm going to try some vinyl and maybe another round or two of MK on rockets with thicker tubes and/or construction that keeps ejection heat away from the outer wall. I do like the ability to finish a rocket with significantly reduced painting and sanding. The multi-colored patterns came out looking great with razor-sharp (literally) color lines.

I tried Monokote and/or Econokote on LPR/BP rockets in BT-20, BT-55 and BT-60. Had issues with the stuff wrinkling due to getting too hot from the ejection charge in all three sizes. But those are thin wall. The BT-20 rocket also had the covering melt and pull away from the forward end of the airframe due to the flame, but it was about a 160mm long airframe with an 18x70 motor.

I'm going to try some vinyl and maybe another round or two of MK on rockets with thicker tubes and/or construction that keeps ejection heat away from the outer wall. I do like the ability to finish a rocket with significantly reduced painting and sanding. The multi-colored patterns came out looking great with razor-sharp (literally) color lines.

MonoKote and EconoKote is shrink wrap film you iron on; it will deform with heat... MonoCoat Trim and Sign Vinyl is much different. Yes I put Heat Shrink MonoKote on R/C airplanes with the little Iron; not on rockets.

Do you hear about any problems with StickerShock Sign Vinyl Decals? Much different product

Edit: what about Crazy Car Vinyl graphics right next to a Turbo Exhaust opening in the right side of the engine compartment with nothing else on it Belching Fire on the Drag Strip?

FYI my Vinyl rolls I have still are Avery , I sold my cutter about 8 years ago. I don't need to make letters anymore I can just cut what I want by hand and I ran out of room for the 58" cutter.

Back