Painting with Proline?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxvelocity

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the high temp proline epoxy to "paint" a nosecone or fins or whatever? I'm wondering if I can thin it so it flows on better? I don't need structural strength just a coating for looks so is thinning possible and with what? I'm wanting to do a fiberglass nosecone. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I'd just use a laminating epoxy instead. Coating things is as simple as getting your gloves wet and rubbing them.

If you use a finishing epoxy (like used for countertops and such), it has more surface tension and pulls itself into a smooth surface. I'm planning this for my level 2 rocket.

The thick epoxy tends is, in my experience, a bit gritty in comparison to laminating resin. I doubt it will thin properly, and it may not cure properly, once thinned.

Instead, buy a color designed to be mixed into epoxy and mix it with laminating resin.

-Kevin

I have. I applied the epoxy using a roller without trying to thin it, I just made sure to do it really quickly before it thickened up. The roller does a good job at applying the epoxy evenly but leaves a slightly rough texture. The end result required some light sanding since I wanted a very smooth finish, and like Kevin said it sands kind of gritty so I ended up painting the cone with a ceramic paint. I was going for heat resistance, not looks, so if I were you I would just use laminating resin as suggested with a pigment...or just paint and be done.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used the high temp proline epoxy to "paint" a nosecone or fins or whatever? I'm wondering if I can thin it so it flows on better? I don't need structural strength just a coating for looks so is thinning possible and with what? I'm wanting to do a fiberglass nosecone. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The high temp Black stuff? If so.... it's considered an adhesive epoxy & by nature very thick. Thinning it is really not an option.
Since you want to do it "just for looks" a much better option is using the regular laminating resin and using a small foam roller or a throw away chip brush with the bristles cut down by half,[so it's stiff and spreads the resin, not just adds more] to coat your NC.
Cover it with a thin coat and let it level out. Too much applied will tend to sag or run.
It can be done, but very carefully or you will have a mess & lots of sanding to do.

I have done tubes & fins like this & they have come out very nice.

I find with NC's some good sanding, filling with spot putty, then priming to see where I am. Finally more spot putty and a different color primer does wonders. By doing this, after the second round of sanding, you can see the different colored primers where the high and low spots are. Much easier than sanding all that epoxy.
Finish it off will your color and some clear if ya really want to make it sparkle!

I like the way the high temp proline matches the color of carbon fiber when wet sanded and polished. This is why I ask about proline specifically. The roller idea sounds like it may work since I will be wet sanding to a polished finish a little roughness wont hurt. My main concern is thickness of epoxy varying the profile of my nosecone. Are you talking about the foam rollers? This seems like it may lay down a smoother more even finish than a brush. The last time around I used RAKA epoxy with a bunch of microballoons with the idea that if I really thickened it up it would hold on the nosecone and not all just run to the tip and drip off. This lead to lots of sanding the clumpiness off but in the end left me a very nice finish. It seems to me that the black proline has the perfect consistency and "stickiness" that it wont run all over the place the problem is getting it on smooth but the roller might do the trick. I think I'm going to give it a shot worst case scenario I either do a bunch of sanding or I will just make another one. I will post how it goes.

As a matter of fact, yes! Just a week ago I painted a balsa NC with the stuff because I like the look when it's sanded down to 2000 grit. I painted it on with a popsicle stick.
DSC03337.jpg
The photo doesn't do justice. This is a 13mm carbon fiber rocket. The polished epoxy has a somewhat sparkly look. I think it's graphite filled epoxy? Anyway, it looks hot.

As a matter of fact, yes! Just a week ago I painted a balsa NC with the stuff because I like the look when it's sanded down to 2000 grit. I painted it on with a popsicle stick.
View attachment 102803
The photo doesn't do justice. This is a 13mm carbon fiber rocket. The polished epoxy has a somewhat sparkly look. I think it's graphite filled epoxy? Anyway, it looks hot.

Yep. That's the look I want. If i can get mine to come out like that I will be very happy.

Any idea about how thick the epoxy is after being sanded? I have a slight difference between my nosecone dia. and my body tube diameter that I either need to make up in epoxy on the cone or else add a sliver of bt and then blend.

Last edited:
Yep. That's the look I want. If i can get mine to come out like that I will be very happy.

Any idea about how thick the epoxy is after being sanded? I have a slight difference between my nosecone dia. and my body tube diameter that I either need to make up in epoxy on the cone or else add a sliver of bt and then blend.

Um, not thick enough? There is a spot on the other side where I got down to balsa but it's pretty small. I think it would be far easier on a bigger cone. Either way it may take two coats or so.

The thick epoxy tends is, in my experience, a bit gritty in comparison to laminating resin. I doubt it will thin properly, and it may not cure properly, once thinned.

Instead, buy a color designed to be mixed into epoxy and mix it with laminating resin.

-Kevin

What is / where does one find such a product to color epoxy ? Will this work with West Systems ?

Thanks

Paul T

What is / where does one find such a product to color epoxy ? Will this work with West Systems ?

Use Google and search on "epoxy pigment"

You'll also find this article by the makers of West Systems epoxy, where they discuss adding pigments to their epoxy. In a nutshell, it's not a problem, just don't use too much.

-Kevin

Use Google and search on "epoxy pigment"

You'll also find this article by the makers of West Systems epoxy, where they discuss adding pigments to their epoxy. In a nutshell, it's not a problem, just don't use too much.

-Kevin

Thankyou Kevin ,very helpful.

Cheers

Paul T

So I just got done painting my nosecone with proline and it came out VERY VERY nice and extremely smooth . I used a 1" chip brush cut down to about 3/4" long held the cone upside down and brushed it on in downward strokes. Its looks great.

I did the same thing with Fibreglast System 2000 with the wood nosecone and transition for my upscale Liberator.

I attached a screweye to the bottom, hung it from the ceiling, over some cardboard, and painted epoxy on. I'd check back every 5 to 10 minutes, and touch up the dry spots a bit. In the end, I have very little grain to fill, and only the slightest drip at the tip of the nose to sand off.

-Kevin

Back