Painting snake skin/scales?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a color concept that works out to painting a rocket like a snake (highly visible). Was thinking solid colors, but had the brainstorm today of actually going for a scaly look. I was thinking that the expanding poly mesh like AeroTech cases are shipped in might make a good stencil for a scaly look with soft edges, but the exact process, look, and layering isn't popping into my brain as these things usually do. The mesh will leave whatever the base layer is, but I want red and yellow to pop visually. They are best over white, but I don't want a white base layer.

Others might want to develop a dragon theme or something with a similar approach, just brainstorming. It'll probably just take a bunch of trying stuff and seeing what does what, but figured I'd ask the hive mind about experience. Anyone else done something like this?

@James Duffy

I have a color concept that works out to painting a rocket like a snake (highly visible). Was thinking solid colors, but had the brainstorm today of actually going for a scaly look. I was thinking that the expanding poly mesh like AeroTech cases are shipped in might make a good stencil for a scaly look with soft edges, but the exact process, look, and layering isn't popping into my brain as these things usually do. The mesh will leave whatever the base layer is, but I want red and yellow to pop visually. They are best over white, but I don't want a white base layer.

Others might want to develop a dragon theme or something with a similar approach, just brainstorming. It'll probably just take a bunch of trying stuff and seeing what does what, but figured I'd ask the hive mind about experience. Anyone else done something like this?

@James Duffy
My buddy did a Dragon scale motif, all painstakingly done by hand with a brush, came out nice though. Personally, I would contact Mark at Sticker Shock, he could make you a mask for painting or could make a wrap and skip the painting

I used a fishnet stocking to get a scale affect. I painted a base color that I wanted between the scales and left it dry. I then stretched the stocking over the tube and sprayed the color I wanted the scales. Once it dried, I removed the stocking and cleared the entire thing.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, except I'm only looking at a 38mm MD airframe, so fishnets for even the most petite women will still be too big to work well. I was thinking more like this stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125593373739

Was in the rocket room and noticed the can of Tamiya FINE SURFACE PRIMER L LIGHT GRAY I have sitting around.
https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-fi...ay-180-ml-hobby-and-model-acrylic-paint-87064It will probably be light enough to work well under red and yellow and still be an appropriate between-scales base color. Maybe dust in some light brown before the color or something. Will have to try a few things on some PVC pipe.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, except I'm only looking at a 38mm MD airframe, so fishnets for even the most petite women will still be too big to work well. I was thinking more like this stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125593373739

Was in the rocket room and noticed the can of Tamiya FINE SURFACE PRIMER L LIGHT GRAY I have sitting around.
https://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-fi...ay-180-ml-hobby-and-model-acrylic-paint-87064It will probably be light enough to work well under red and yellow and still be an appropriate between-scales base color. Maybe dust in some light brown before the color or something. Will have to try a few things on some PVC pipe.
You can find smaller mesh. My wife had found some for me as I was doing a 54mm rocket. Look on amazon

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, except I'm only looking at a 38mm MD airframe, so fishnets for even the most petite women will still be too big to work well.
So buy the longest 38 mm case Aerotech sells, and use the sleeve! If you don't want the case, give it to some deserving TRFer. After all, you'll get your money's worth out of the mesh, right?

Back