Our Children's Future

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules for Mentors and Rules For Junior Flyers

Rules For Mentors

Mentors must be Tripoli Senior members in good standing.
The Mentor is the flyer-of-record on mentored flights and is fully responsible and liable for the flight as if it were his/her own. The Mentor must ensure that the flight card on a mentored flight reflects the Mentor’s status as flyer of record and includes the Mentor’s Tripoli number. Junior flyers may be listed on the flight card as the owner of the rocket.
The Mentor is responsible for and will handle all aspects of the launch involving all materials which require high power certification.
The Mentor must be present with the Junior flyers during the pre-flight safety inspection by the RSO. As the flyer-of-record, the Mentor is responsible for ensuring the rocket meets the criteria for passage of the pre-flight safety inspection.
Mentored flights can be made only with motors that the Mentor is legally able to purchase and/or possess and that follow Tripoli safety codes.
The Mentor is responsible for direct supervision of Junior flyers while at the pad and in the prep area. The Mentor is responsible for ensuring that Junior flyers are familiar with safe range practices and know how to conduct themselves in a safety conscious manner.
Rules For Junior Flyers

Junior flyers must be Tripoli Junior members in good standing.
Junior flyers must be at least 12 years old.
To access restricted pad and prep areas, Junior flyers must complete Tripoli Mentoring Program Training and bring proof of program completion to the launch.
The Junior flyer must be present at the pre-flight safety check to answer RSO questions about the rocket.
Junior flyers are responsible for knowing the safety code and for following all range safety rules.

Before we get complaints and reported posts, the above post clearly states that the liability and responsibility for safety lies with the mentor.

Before we get complaints and reported posts, the above post clearly states that the liability and responsibility for safety lies with the mentor.

Thanks for posting this.

If you're using Alumaflame you might as well make it an N...

Our only dilemma with the motor is basically costs. Do you have any clue on what a N EX motor would cost us?

Our only dilemma with the motor is basically costs. Do you have any clue on what a N EX motor would cost us?
Yes of course, but if cost is an issue feel free to ignore my witty banter. ;)

Might you be better off building a slightly smaller rocket?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum
I don't think so... this is a good size for a group project in our opinion... We are figuring out motor costs now and we will go from there before we build anything.

Sigh, I think this is turning into another one of "those threads"...so to avoid that:

1. This isn't the place to solicit a mentor. A mentor for a flight, in your case, is a requirement that should likely be in place during the design phase and construction phases so that the flight phase is merely last minute checks vs. design checks. This is the only way I'd ever consider mentoring a group.

2. This isn't the place to solicit for an EX motor. A motor, commercial or EX, should be identified during the design phase or construction phase. Are you friends with any legal EX rocketeers willing to make you a motor? Cost of an EX motor is a bit of a slippery slope when you're someone looking to purchase a motor that person cannot legally sell.

Be careful. I'm not trying to discourage, just trying to make EVERYONE's lives easier. That means here on TRF, for you guys building the rocket, the mentor that you seek, and the motor "manufacturer."

Dan,

Those are great points. I also recommend they find a solid mentor up front.

Thanks Dan for posting that... we believe that we have our mentor situation figured out now. We will keep you guys updated. I'm glad that we are actually gaining support in this project. We do understand the concerns that you may have and we are trying to address them in our planning phases

Last edited:
I am officially off of this project, by choice. This was my idea, my design, and my proposal to do as a group project. IMHO, this thread and the according Facebook page should not exist yet. Matt and Cody jumped the gun before anything was finalized at all and without input or agreement from the entire group.

The group does not have a mentor, they do not have any idea what recovery gear will be used, or even what impulse motor will be used, let alone if it will be ex or not.

Nobody in this group has any experience building projects this big, nor do they have the tools, materials, knowledge, or skills to pull this off.

Guys,

Write up a plan, keep it off the forum and Facebook, and then present it to a mentor. Remember, a mentor will absorb the liability, so you need to sell the project and accept their advice. When you post it widely, you make mentors nervous.

Guys,

Write up a plan, keep it off the forum and Facebook, and then present it to a mentor. Remember, a mentor will absorb the liability, so you need to sell the project and accept their advice. When you post it widely, you make mentors nervous.

Assuming they have a mentor, that is.

The key is discussing it before they post.

The key is discussing the plan with a mentor before they post.

We have a Mentor Jim Scarpine. We have talked to him for the last couple of hours over our design and plans. We have discussed what we are going to do over the entire rocket and gotten his suggestions on what to do. We will post all of our info up soon about mentors and motors.

I'm eager to see how this works out, I'm glad you guys have a mentor.

Nate

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back