Other ME163 kits and a HPR flight.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video on the above link of the ground take-off is terrific. I believe that this is the same model that is in the RCM (Radio Controller Modeler) magazine for January 1995, Vol. 32, No. 1. The article is by Earl Aune. The author says that there was a 7 oz water balloon (connected by surgical tubing) positioned in the nose and a servo operated shut off valve used to dump ballast on the way up. Thus, with the additional loss 7 oz of propellant consumed on take-off, the plane weighs nearly one pound less during the non-powered glide phase.

The video on the above link of the ground take-off is terrific. I believe that this is the same model that is in the RCM (Radio Controller Modeler) magazine for January 1995, Vol. 32, No. 1. The article is by Earl Aune. The author says that there was a 7 oz water balloon (connected by surgical tubing) positioned in the nose and a servo operated shut off valve used to dump ballast on the way up. Thus, with the additional loss 7 oz of propellant consumed on take-off, the plane weighs nearly one pound less during the non-powered glide phase.
THAT was what inspired me to use a Water Ballast Tank on my 1997 X-1 model. Same reason, to maintian the proper CG due to propellant mass burnoff in the back. But I used a solid tank (vac-formed plastic cone), and let it drain out due to gravity. I didn't want to deal with a pressure system from a balloon, balloon possibly bursting, and variable amounts of water that could be left in a stretched-out limp balloon. When it launched, it effectively disconnected a plug that had kept the water from leaking out (the same connection was also how the water was loaded, using a squeeze-bulb meant for filling R/C model plane fuel tanks).

More on my website: https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1.htm

X-1 nose section during assembly, before the rest of the stringers were added and it got planks of 3/16" balsa glued to the stringers. Water tank (white) inside.
X1_Noseframe_1.jpg

THAT was what inspired me to use a Water Ballast Tank on my 1997 X-1 model. Same reason, to maintian the proper CG due to propellant mass burnoff in the back. But I used a solid tank (vac-formed plastic cone), and let it drain out due to gravity. I didn't want to deal with a pressure system from a balloon, balloon possibly bursting, and variable amounts of water that could be left in a stretched-out limp balloon. When it launched, it effectively disconnected a plug that had kept the water from leaking out (the same connection was also how the water was loaded, using a squeeze-bulb meant for filling R/C model plane fuel tanks).

So, so did you had a vent hole somewhere else in the water tank to let air into the tank to help let the water flow out or was gravity sufficient?

Back