OpenRocket won't load

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rboeckner

Reaction score
I cannot get openrocket to load on my Windows 10 computer. Neither version 15 or the beta will work. I was using version 15 and wanted to add a motor thrust curve and I think I messed up in that process by changing the path to my downloads folder. When I tried reopening the program it had a tiny little window saying "loading motors", or something like that, and then it would bring up and error. After uninstalling everything and reinstalling, it still does that. The beta version gets stuck on the flash screen and can on be closed by either restarting or through the task manager. Thanks for any help.

Did the error state which thrust curve produced the error or was it just a blank window?

Since you changed your user thrust curve path to your downloads folder, I suspect that there are thrust curves downloaded there? If so, try moving all the thrust curves from your downloads folder to another folder (e.g. your Desktop). If OpenRocket successfully opens, you can then try adding back the thrust curve files to your downloads folder. You should do this file by file, with quitting and reopening OR in between to make sure you know which thrust curve produces the error.

I have uninstalled the program and every file I can find associated with OpenRocket and reinstalled the Beta version and it still won't load.

I don't have the error from the old version and the Beta version doesn't give an error, it just stays on the splash screen. Sorry I don't have more information.

The little "Loading Motors..." window comes up as soon as the program tries to start and it keeps running till I stop it through task manager. The other window popped up a little later. This is on version 15.03. If I open the bug report and try sending it, it brings up the second image I posted.

Attachments

• OpenRocket.png
    OpenRocket.png
    331.3 KB · Views: 0
  • OpenRocket2.png
    OpenRocket2.png
    128 KB · Views: 0
The little "Loading Motors..." window comes up as soon as the program tries to start and it keeps running till I stop it through task manager. The other window popped up a little later. This is on version 15.03. If I open the bug report and try sending it, it brings up the second image I posted.
This is already a lot more useful, thanks! Could you now generate the same error with OpenRocket 22.02.beta.05, and also copy-paste the error text in a text file and send that to us?

Do I need to email the bug report to sourceforge.net? I tried pasting it here but it is too long. I am seeing what I can get for the beta version.

Do I need to email the bug report to sourceforge.net? I tried pasting it here but it is too long. I am seeing what I can get for the beta version.
No, just open the NotePad Window application to create a new text file, then select all the text from the bug report dialog (yes, it is a long text), paste it into the new text file. Then save that text file and send it here.

That is all I get in the beta version. If I move the cursor over that screen, the circle of doom goes round. That also will stay on my computer screen till I end it through task manager. No error codes.

Attachments

• Openrocket3.png
    Openrocket3.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 0
That is all I get in the beta version. If I move the cursor over that screen, the circle of doom goes round. That also will stay on my computer screen till I end it through task manager. No error codes.
Hm, interesting... Well then just paste the error code generated in OR 15.03.

I cannot paste and send it. It will paste in okay but when I hit the post reply button it says it is over the character limit.

@rboeckner just to verify again: do you have any user-defined thrust curves (files with a ".eng" or ".rse" extension) in your downloads directory, or any other directory that you previously used for user-defined thrust curves? Or do you have special ZIP files in those directories? (OpenRocket also searches ZIP files for thrust curves) If you do have ZIP files, you don't have to send them to us, but can you try temporarily moving them to a different directory?

If so, can you please send them to us?

Last edited:
I found those but I can do nothing with them because it says they do not exist. Can't even delete them.

Strange... Anyway, I pushed a commit that ensures that the program doesn't cause the exception that you got in OR 15.03, so hopefully other users don't run into the same problem.

Back