OpenRocket Supersonic flight problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmon88

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have searched all 6 pages of OpenRocket items, and even looked at the "User's Guide" and cannot find anything on this. I am redesigning an existing rocket, and once I have it all complete and run the sim I get a notice that reads, "body calculations may not be entirely correct at supersonic speeds". What would be the cause of that problem? I have plotted the flight and everything looks good...except that. Thanks.

The cause of the "problem" is that your rocket goes supersonic during the course of its flight.

OpenRocket doesn't trust itself to simulate completely accurately at supersonic speeds.

However for most flights (less than Mach 2) it shouldn't be a problem, unless you need to predict altitudes for getting call-in waivers. In that case, I would suggest that you run a simulation in RASAero (based on the dimensions and mass from OpenRocket), and give yourself a safety margin on the waiver.

Back