Openrocket running out of memory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDJ

Semi-retired Rocketry guy
Reaction score
Is there a way to allocate more memory to Openrocket? I'm trying to do a glider conversion for the Quest Tomahawk rocket kit and OR keeps running out of memory.

Am I pushing the application too hard because it's not really designed for designing gliders?

Hi,

You'll have to start it from the command like like this:

java -Xmx512M -jar OpenRocket.jar

Java allocates 1/4 physical memory by default which sometimes is too small. However, I suspect there is another problem. If you wouldn't mind, please post the ORK file (or somehow email it to me) so I can take a look.

Thanks

Kevin

Am I pushing the application too hard because it's not really designed for designing gliders?
Probably if you're trying to model the glide phase. Just put a fake recovery system to terminate the sim at apogee.

As for the flight part up to apogee, it's fine, but it's the glide part that I'm having a bugger of a time with. So far I've simmed it with a 1:1 glide angle (not great) but it's the best that I can come up with so far.

Hi,

Do you have some reproducible way of getting the memory error? What are the steps, and how much physical memory does your system have? I'm unable to reproduce the problem on my machine.

If you want to dig deeper yourself, you can start OR from the command line with the option -Dopenrocket.debug. This provides a "Debug" menu from where you can see more detailed memory statistics.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

I may have to send you the file uncompressed. I had to compress it to upload it here on TRF. Does the compression/uncompression only affect the storage of the file or does it affect everything (including running the file)?

I'll look at Dopenrocket.debug and have a look.

As to my system:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

What version of Java? Open up a terminal window and type: java -version

Doug

There have been several known JDK/JRE memory leaks (notably in some Swing UI components) that have been fixed since that version. The current version is 1.6.0_33 on OS X, which was released in early June. Should be available in Software Update (depending upon the OS X version you're running).

Doug

I'll check, but I think 1.6.0_26 was the last version for OSX 10.5.8 (leopard). From what I've heard they are not updating it any further apart from the Flashback issue (last update a few months ago).

EDIT: Just tried Java for Snow Leopard (similar OS) but no go. Installer started, got a error message telling me to stop being a dumbass and stop downloading stuff for a higher OS and quit.

Guess I better upgrade. :(

Last edited:
OKAY! Kept playing with the file adjusting and tweaking the wings and mass components, started to slow down and take a long time to make changes and simulations. Sent a bug report. Has alot of WARN messages.

ps. Got the model to cruise 2250 feet from a apogee of 1176 feet. Not bad for something that wasn't designed to glide. ;)

Back