OpenRocket - Optimal Delay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, there is no direct support for this. But here is an idea which might help out.

When you pick the motor, enter "None" for delay. Run a simulation for this configuration and "measure" the time between motor burn out and apogee.

Then you go back to the motor selection and change the delay to whichever is the closest to the measured value.

Kevin

Ok.

Can this functionality be requested for a future release? The ThrustCurve site has that information, which, after the apogee height and rod speed, is one of my critical data points for flight evaluation.

Greg

I'm with Greg on this. I've asked for this twice and gotten no response. Not a yes. Not a no. It's become more important as things like the ability to modify delays in reload, and now SU motors become more common.

Ok.

Can this functionality be requested for a future release? The ThrustCurve site has that information, which, after the apogee height and rod speed, is one of my critical data points for flight evaluation.

Greg

One of the ideas we've been toying around with is an automatic motor chooser. I suspect it would operate like a "wizard" or the optimization dialog. You would set some constraints - exact motor diameter or smaller motor diameter, minimum stability, fixed delays or *any* delay, etc. It would then try each motor and run a simulation. The final results would be presented to the user (motor, altitude, etc) then the user can select which motors to use.

Kevin

While the motor optimization sounds cool, what I envision is just another column for the delay time. This is just the agogee time and subtracting the motor burnout time. So I don't have to manually subtract it. That way I can choose the delay time.

CTI has their ProDAT tool to configure the delay time, now AeroTech is migrating the same way.

Greg

Would this be in the simulation summary table? And you'd want time of motor ejection - time of apogee? That seems somewhat reasonable.

That would work. A field showing optimum delay calculated as the difference between apogee and motor burn out displayed both on screen and in the print table.

Would this be in the simulation summary table? And you'd want time of motor ejection - time of apogee? That seems somewhat reasonable.

What Peter said.

BTW, I REALLY like OpenRocket! It's a very handy tool for me. Thanks for all the work you do on it Kevin.

Greg

Back