Optimization to include dynamic stability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBlack

AP abuser, lithobraker, EM mangler.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I think this is a feature request because I can't find how to make the Rocket Optimization tool to honor the minimum stability value throughout all of the motor burn.

If I set the required stability at 1.2 cal, and then vary the nose ballast mass to optimize the apogee altitude, a supersonic flight can be optimized to that at max velocity, has a stability of less than 1, or even negative stability.

So I have to run simulation after simulation manually plotting and checking the "stability margin calibers" for the duration of the motor burn, and tuning parameters manually.

Hello,
I think this is a feature request because I can't find how to make the Rocket Optimization tool to honor the minimum stability value throughout all of the motor burn.

If I set the required stability at 1.2 cal, and then vary the nose ballast mass to optimize the apogee altitude, a supersonic flight can be optimized to that at max velocity, has a stability of less than 1, or even negative stability.

So I have to run simulation after simulation manually plotting and checking the "stability margin calibers" for the duration of the motor burn, and tuning parameters manually.
What you are asking about is constrained optimization. It is common thing that may not be implemented in "Rocket Optimization tool".

Back