open rocket oopsie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
was playing with OR and got this error while trying to do a flight sim;
net.sf.openrocket.simulation.exception.SimulationCalculationException: Simulation values exceeded limits

net.sf.openrocket.simulation.exception.SimulationCalculationException: Simulation values exceeded limits
at net.sf.openrocket.simulation.RK4SimulationStepper.step(RK4SimulationStepper.java:264)
at net.sf.openrocket.simulation.BasicEventSimulationEngine.simulate(BasicEventSimulationEngine.java:86)
at net.sf.openrocket.document.Simulation.simulate(Simulation.java:302)
at net.sf.openrocket.gui.main.SimulationWorker.doInBackground(SimulationWorker.java:55)
at net.sf.openrocket.gui.main.SimulationWorker.doInBackground(SimulationWorker.java:24)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
and this is what I was trying to sim. an 18mm mosquito with a D21 motor :).
rex

View attachment maxvmosquito.ork

A rocket that size will 'teleport' on a D21. I flew an Estes Rampage on a D21 that just disappeared from the launch pad. It took about 2-3 seconds for the smoke from the delay to become visible after the rocket slowed down a bit. I did get the bottom half back, but lost the payload section and nose cone. Estes used to claim the their Streak (K-4) could go to 2000 feet high on a C6-7. The Streak was the 18mm version of Mosquito.

heheh, yup. I owned a streak (gave it away just prior to moving) flew it once. somewhere in the house I have an original mosquito (flown at least twice), and now I have a nice shiny new mosquito that might be flown if conditions are right. both the mozzie and streak were/are nothing more than an engine with fins etc. just thought I'd play a bit with something I wasn't likely to lose :).
rex

The first rocket I ever launched was a Streak on a B motor. No one ever saw it again after ignition. It literally vanished.

Run 'New Simulation'. Open the 'Simulation options' tab and set "Step Time" to 0.01 seconds.

With that change, it runs OK for me using OR 1.1.5.

that worked, thanks. of course in real life those fins probably shred long before going past mach 1 :). (simmed to 876mph).
rex

Yup, it jitters so much on the way up that it blows up the simulation. During one time step the pitch rate is normal, then is increases somewhat, then it's already 5000000 rad/s, and the next step it's 1e57 rad/s...

Could make the error message a bit more informative though.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Back