Open Rocket Min System Requirments

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AToM65

Reaction score
For my daily computer I use my work laptop, but since it is a work laptop, I am unable to load software on it. If I went and bought a $150 Chromebook, would it be able to load and run OR successfully? Any reason to get anything more powerful?

Thanks

You can get some pretty decent older used laptops for $150. I have two older Dell E5440's, one that I use all day and one as a backup, running Windows 10. They work fine with OR, and everything else too (including the Eagle CAD program that I used to design PC boards).

"Can be made to run on a Chromebook" - I guess that means it's not an optimal OS? So would it be better to get a used Windows laptop like cerving suggests? Really not a tech guy - just want to be able to download and run.

Thanks
I general purpose laptop is certainly more versatile…. Why don’t you ask this in the referenced thread.

You can load OpenRocket onto a USB drive (with JAVA included) and plug it in to any Windows computer and run it. I may or may not have done this back in HS.
We don’t have windows it’s chrome books now, but it’s an horrible idea and I would never do something like that.;)

Last edited:
I would advise buying an old thinkpad from ebay for $150 ish, then download ubuntu on it. OR has a package for linux.

It's not so much a system requirements issue than it is a compatability issue- OR is a java app, and ChromeOS can't run Java.

Personally, I have OR on 2 systems: my PC at home, and an old windows laptop that I use for school.

Back