Open rocket as a learning tool.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
Open rocket isn't just a tool for designing rockets, it's a tool for learning how components work together.
I'm trying to design and build three rockets in one week. That wouldn't be so hard if I could go to the nearest King Soopers and buy what I need.
What's making it even harder is trying to incorporate new information into my designs
One thing giving me fits is the, supposed, ideal sweep angle of 70 degrees. That's a lot. Seems like too much for subsonic.
But locking in an extreme sweep angle has forced me to look closer at how the other dimensions affect stability.
I've been surprised a few times.
Now I need to look closer at how those changes affect performance and not just stability.

Open rocket isn't just a tool for designing rockets, it's a tool for learning how components work together.
I'm trying to design and build three rockets in one week. That wouldn't be so hard if I could go to the nearest King Soopers and buy what I need.
What's making it even harder is trying to incorporate new information into my designs
One thing giving me fits is the, supposed, ideal sweep angle of 70 degrees. That's a lot. Seems like too much for subsonic.
But locking in an extreme sweep angle has forced me to look closer at how the other dimensions affect stability.
I've been surprised a few times.
Now I need to look closer at how those changes affect performance and not just stability.
You don't necessarily need 70deg unless you're planning on zipping along at a pretty good clip. 60 or 45 are fine for subsonic, or even 30,15,0 if you like. The most important bits are whether the fins are strong enough for safe flight, and how much fin sticks up into 'clean' air in various cross-breezes.

Back