One Best Tool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHP

Reaction score
After just having come inside from my cold, unheated garage where I was cleaning and straightening up from a Summer of building rockets I've decided to ask a question that came to mind while blowing dust from my collection of tools rarely used.

Which is your single most useful tool for rocket building?

Since most of the dust I created this year came from one particular tool I can easily attest to it being "The One" in my shop. While it is, in a sense, cheating - the default tool I go for is my ShopSmith . Technically it is one tool with multiple functions. I use the lathe for NCs, the table saw for fins, the disc sander for truing those fins and the drill press for cutting CRs and bulkplates. I don't use the horizontal boring machine for rockets.

Mine is old - I picked it up on eBay a year ago for under $400 and it was close enough I drove to the seller's house to pick it up. I've put probably another $100 into it for accessories and getting it running properly. It is a nice tool.

So, what's yours?

Agreed. Aluminum channel stock or a ruler a close second...

Originally posted by BHP
Mine is old - I picked it up on eBay a year ago for under $400 and it was close enough I drove to the seller's house to pick it up. I've put probably another $100 into it for accessories and getting it running properly. It is a nice tool.

What does a new one cost? Does each of the components (ie table saw, lathe etc.) do a good job? or is really better to buy a separate components?

What does a new one cost? Does each of the components (ie table saw, lathe etc.) do a good job? or is really better to buy a separate components?

Good questions. They are expensive new. $3000 give or take a few hundred depending on options. I've never been a big believer in all-in-one type tools but these are different. They really are a quality piece of equipment and are made to be maintained/repaired. They are not throwaway tool. I'm sold on 'em. I have those five tools pushed up against the wall in the garage when not in use. It takes up the room of a bicycle.

I did come across another similar tool recently called the Super Shop . This thing is similarly designed but heavier and also has the ability to be used as a metal lathe and mill. It actually costs a little less. They must be new as a recent eBay search brought up no hits.

Good stuff. I recommend highly these tools. Watch eBay, they're on there all of the time. Be aware that shipping costs will be very high as they're large and heavy. Look for one close to where you live so you can go pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

I just invested into a dremel with a ton of accessories etc.. not quite the tool you got there, but i have found it very useful! It seems to work on my fins very well (beveling). (listen to us, talking about our "tools") :D

Well, Highrolla, just keep in mind you've been in my garage and seen my "most useful tool"!

nodder.gif

I don't think "one best" is very helpful question.

The Xacto knife, already mentioned, is pretty indispensible, but you would have to have ultra-low standards or be a masochist not to want more.

Top three?

Xacto knife

Sanding block

Metal ruler

Originally posted by Fore Check
Hehheheheheheheheheheh....

:eek:

He said... "Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe...etc"

I have to agree on the X-acto...

That and my 15 ton overhead crane...

my top five are:
exacto knife
ruler
pencil or marker
sandpaper
masking tape

Most indispensible basic tools:

X-acto knife
Dremel

Most indispensible "shop-type" tools:

Um, well the only one I have is a saber saw. I'd love to get a band saw and a drill press someday. A small lathe would be sweet too.

First though, I'd have to clean up my garage enough to make room for them.

My single most useful tool is my Swiss Army knife - maybe a bit out of fashion compared to Leathermen and Gerbers, but it's the big one with everything. It's effectively a portable toolkit, although a bit too big to go in a pocket. Instead, it goes in my range bag.

Other indispensable tools, in no particular order:
Steel 18" rule
Sanding sponge
Estes fin alignment/tube marking tool

In no certain order, as these are all number one on every vehicle I build:

1 box containing 1000 popcicle sticks (to mix and dob epoxy)
1 pkg paperplates (to mix epoxy on)
Xacto razor saw
Xacto #11
Nice pair of Fiskars scissors for cutting Kevlar(R) and other composite fabrics.
-->Mouse sander<-- on my second after three years...
Cordlessdrill
Mini-drillpress (Harbor freight)

I use these tools and more on every rocket, so they are all number one

Yeah, that is a toughie.

The basic jobs (in any buildingf project) are to measure / mark, to cut, form to shape, and affix in place.

So, a ruler.
I have a small 3"x5" square I use extencively

A knife.
I have a small 'Olfa' with a retracable / snap off blade. It's replaced my #11 X-Acto.

I have a sanding bar, the Great Planes 'easy touch'

and the last is hard to come by.. a CA bottle that won't clog or drool! :D

well, this might be great news for some of you.
for the past year ive been using Great Planes Pro CA, its never clogged on me once! i use thin and medium.
here is their full line on hobbylinc, ive only used the one ounce bottles, but the other sizes use the same bottle design, so they should be great too.
i highly reccomend trying this stuff

I keep a spare cya nozzle and cap in a small pickle jar (with closed lid) of acetone
than just swap out nozzles when necessary.

Warning*be >extra sure< to dry the clean nozzle before screwing it on !

The majority of clogging can be attributed to touching the material you are glueing..dust and debris will stick to the tip and be drawn inside the nozzle when you set the bottle down.

I find it hard not to touch the nozzle to the surface, so the acetone trick works well for me.

Hard to say one best tool, but.

For delicate work, pair of tweezers.
For launches, needle nose pliers.

For woodworking, I can't think of one as I use so many, both power and hand tools.

This may sound weird, but right up at the top is a small (8ox) spray bottle I keep full of alcohol. I use it to get epoxy off places where it may want to be and I don't want it to be.

Latest posts

Back