Design my own rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7notist

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd like to build my own rocket using 3D printer from ground up. However, the only experiences I have are all pre-made rocketry kits. Do you guys have any recommendation like a tool to use or website for reference?

To my mind, downloading a model off the internet and getting it printed is not really designing your own rocket "from the ground up".
Those sites are very neat and you can certainly get ideas and inspiration there, I appreciate the people that are willing to share their work.

To actually design from the ground up you will need a CAD program that can export .stl files, that can be imported into the printer software. You will need to know how to use that program. You will need a little imagination to dream up your design. Everything else you need can probably be found on this forum.

If you are using commercial parts such as body tubes, motor mounts or nosecones, you need accurate dimensions of those parts so that you can make them fit in your design.

Good luck!

To my mind, downloading a model off the internet and getting it printed is not really designing your own rocket "from the ground up".
Those sites are very neat and you can certainly get ideas and inspiration there, I appreciate the people that are willing to share their work.

To actually design from the ground up you will need a CAD program that can export .stl files, that can be imported into the printer software. You will need to know how to use that program. You will need a little imagination to dream up your design. Everything else you need can probably be found on this forum.

If you are using commercial parts such as body tubes, motor mounts or nosecones, you need accurate dimensions of those parts so that you can make them fit in your design.

Good luck!
Another approach you might like to consider is to design the rocket in OR or RS, using parts that you can print from downloaded designs (and standard boty tubes, probably). One might often design around off the shelf nose cones, CRs, and so on from vendors; you could treat those downloadable parts designs the same way.

Or, use a CAD program as @Rschub suggests, but just to modify the downloaded parts designs. That's what I would do in your shoes, but it's purely a question of what you want to do, of course.

This^^^
You need to start with OR or RocSim to design a stable rocket then do sims with different weights and motors to check performance.
Second, is to do the 3D designs for printing. This is where structural strength is determined and then decide on what materials and methods will be used to print the parts.

I have been seeing many more 3D printed rockets at launches. Most fly well, some do not fly at all) and most survive the landing whereas other break upon landing.

So, my advice is go for it with smallish sized rocket (B-D motors) to learn what works and what doesn't.

Latest posts

Back