Odd names for rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built one that was designed to perform like the Estes CATO rocket, breaking apart on ascent into multiple recoverable and reassemble-able pieces.

Gone Fission

A couple to troll the RSO:
Hoof Hearted
DNA ("What does it stand for?" "Do Not Ask." It's a twin-motor cluster which I was hoping would spin on the way up leaving a double-spiral smoke trail. The one time I want the rocket to spin, it goes straight up. It didn't just troll the RSO, it trolled me as well.)

Fred'N'George - two-stage conversion of Fliskits Freedom Forge
Green Cheese - approximate scale model of an air-to-ship missile which was never built
Pyramid of Dimensional Uncertainty - big pyramid with some removable internal components, which could then fold flat.
Random Junk From My Bench - literal description of something I built while half drunk at one of our big annual rocket events. I was only half drunk, so I had enough sense to get a witness when I did the swing test. I didn't fall over and the rocket passed its test. Next day it went straight up and probably came down.

You Gotta Be Nuts :)
DSC00071.JPG Nuts 090905.jpg
Looks like another flaw in the new software - always shows wide dimension horizontal. I tried all 4 orientations and they were all sideways.

I’m constructing a scratch built rocket right now that’s made from all repurposed materials I was going to name, “RUDE 1”, which stands for, “Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly Expected”. Then I thought of the name, “RUDImentary”, which might be more fitting for a rocket made from found items. That name means, “Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly Imminent”. I have in mind to name my next high altitude rocket, “S.O.B!”, which stands for, “Space Or Bust!”

Last edited:
Some of my rockets:

Indestructible V
Sheesh Kabob
Sammypooh
Square Banana
Brownian Motion
0.6 Sigma
E.D. (noodle)
Ye Olde Amish Rocket
Mister Victor Vector Force
The Mega Dwarf
The Parawad Pal
Kimono Dragon
The Hornless Unicorn
Possum Free Zone
Grabthar's Hammer
The Lupin Express
The Bluebird of Happiness

Egg lofters:
Eggsterminate
Eggnomious End
Eggstraneous Conclusions
Brownian Motion — I like that! 😁👍🏻

I made one out of spare parts called Dispensable to used for, um, experiments.

I have one in the planning phase to be called Broken Heart (with fins made by cutting plywood hearts in half).

My rockets are

The big one
The little one
The Ernest one (under construction)

If you’re wondering no it’s not a anatomical reference.

A really bad idea (pic) and a really terrible idea (flight at LDRS 2024)

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
I have built several and given them names I have not seen any where else.

A rocket that used a paint roller cover and flew on an F motor. "Fast and and Furriest."

A Hi-Flyer like rocket I called "Performance Anxiety" - it separated just above the fin can, and was a rear motor eject parachute or streamer deploy.

A rocket made from tubes I found in wax paper, aluminum foil, and Saran Wrap, and toilet paper rolls, ... I wound up calling it "Everything But the Kitchen Sink." It is a two stage rocket, and the booster was a four motor cluster.

I up-scaled a US Rocket, Sentra, which has side pods that are attached permanently - mine were detachable in flight. Instead of calling it 'Sentra' - I called it, "Know Quid Pro Quo," as that phrase was being repeated all over the place during the build. One of my club colleagues said I spelled "No" wrong. I know I didn't.

I have started to delve into geometric shapes. Another club member, much younger, showed up a month ago with a flying "Dodecahedron" a ten sided angular looking thing he called "Crystal." He elongated two of the sides of the lower half of the pentagons that compose this thing. He said he made the top half "aerodynamically friendly," (a mirror image of the lower half - though pointy ...) He flew it twice and it flew well. He said he 3D printed it using a special PLA at a certain temperature so that it would foam up and be less dense, and save weight and quicken the printing process. Unlike other 3D printed objects, it did feel very light and it did seem pretty tough, to the touch.

I have been playing with tetrahedrons. Those are four sided 3D objects, each side is some sort of triangle. I have been flying a "Double Ended Tetrahedron"
Imagine a 3 sided pyramid with an equilateral triangle base.... and something similar underneath, but shorter, and sprouting 3 fins. It flies on E12 -4s. A longer delay would be too long. It is made of cardboard but uses Basswood fins.

I have built several and given them names I have not seen any where else.

A rocket that used a paint roller cover and flew on an F motor. "Fast and and Furriest."

A Hi-Flyer like rocket I called "Performance Anxiety" - it separated just above the fin can, and was a rear motor eject parachute or streamer deploy.

A rocket made from tubes I found in wax paper, aluminum foil, and Saran Wrap, and toilet paper rolls, ... I wound up calling it "Everything But the Kitchen Sink." It is a two stage rocket, and the booster was a four motor cluster.

I up-scaled a US Rocket, Sentra, which has side pods that are attached permanently - mine were detachable in flight. Instead of calling it 'Sentra' - I called it, "Know Quid Pro Quo," as that phrase was being repeated all over the place during the build. One of my club colleagues said I spelled "No" wrong. I know I didn't.

I have started to delve into geometric shapes. Another club member, much younger, showed up a month ago with a flying "Dodecahedron" a ten sided angular looking thing he called "Crystal." He elongated two of the sides of the lower half of the pentagons that compose this thing. He said he made the top half "aerodynamically friendly," (a mirror image of the lower half - though pointy ...) He flew it twice and it flew well. He said he 3D printed it using a special PLA at a certain temperature so that it would foam up and be less dense, and save weight and quicken the printing process. Unlike other 3D printed objects, it did feel very light and it did seem pretty tough, to the touch.

I have been playing with tetrahedrons. Those are four sided 3D objects, each side is some sort of triangle. I have been flying a "Double Ended Tetrahedron"
Imagine a 3 sided pyramid with an equilateral triangle base.... and something similar underneath, but shorter, and sprouting 3 fins. It flies on E12 -4s. A longer delay would be too long. It is made of cardboard but uses Basswood fins.
Note: If your Drag Queen oddroc needs a shorter delay then go E12 0 with a pinch of black powder on top. That's all Whooshing Crane would fly on, E12 4 was too long. Yes Mr. RSO, my oddroc has zero delay but it has a really really cool name!

Rank amateurs

You want odd names? I'll give you odd names from my fleet:

Billy Bob Joe
Let the Wookie Win
Flying Basket of Death and Destruction
Thud

And even odder still...I take kit names and throw them into a anagram solver so I get results like this: (Original name --> Anagram result)

Prometheus --> Upset Homer
Interceptor --> Nope Critter

Future possible rocket name:

Black Brandt --> Bank Card

It was originally a Big Bertha but it core-sampled and had to have 2" of BT removed, so it became "Not Quite So Big Bertha". Then it got stuck in a tree for close to a month and became "Treed Bertha". It still flies.

My 36" blowmolded yard Candle is called "Light this Candle"

My 2x MM is "Twice as Mean Machine"

My bash of the trashed RamJet upscale and the trashed scratchbuilt Black Blade is "Dr FrocketStein's MonStar"

Back