Not Another Metric Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of thing I kinda understand. If you just write it up as an asteroid with a weight of 104,000 tons is not going to connect with people of just how big that is.

It's not about tonnage. The article states the asteroid may be as much as 450 meters in size, and compares that to the 269 meter length of the Titanic. The mass of the asteroid is sure to be many times greater than 2x the tonnage of the ship. It's not as long and skinny as the ship and likely quite a bit more dense.
That article is stupid, creating a list of asteroids and comparing their sizes to mechanical disasters nobody really has any familiarity with. Almost like it's asking for memes.

What happened to good old football fields? 450 meters is close enough to five football fields. A giant, potato-shaped rock as long as five football fields is something people could actually relate to.

It's not about tonnage. The article states the asteroid may be as much as 450 meters in size, and compares that to the 269 meter length of the Titanic. The mass of the asteroid is sure to be many times greater than 2x the tonnage of the ship. It's not as long and skinny as the ship and likely quite a bit more dense.
That article is stupid, creating a list of asteroids and comparing their sizes to mechanical disasters nobody really has any familiarity with. Almost like it's asking for memes.

What happened to good old football fields? 450 meters is close enough to five football fields. A giant, potato-shaped rock as long as five football fields is something people could actually relate to.

Write the online articles then. Show them how its done.

I used to wonder what all of the 26.2 or 13.1 bumper stickers were about, but eventually learned. To screw with everyone, I suggest people in the US buy 25.4 stickers and put them on their cars.

[obviously kidding]
On a totally unrelated note, please visit 25.4stickers.com to order yours today. If you act now, you can get 3 stickers for $19.99 + $372.91 shipping in 4 easy payments, plus handling.
[/obviously kidding]

In the water utility business, asbestos cement pipe (ACP) was manufactured on paper mandrels and machines purchased from the UK.
I thought it odd that the length of 6", 8" and 12" diameter ACP was 13 feet. MOA (machined over all) short sections were 3'3". Then it dawned on me; the length is actually 4 meters and the MOA's were one meter. So you get 4 meters of 6" dia pipe! Nice mixed units!

calTrans required highway designs to be in metric, but still included mile markers.

I used to wonder what all of the 26.2 or 13.1 bumper stickers were about, but eventually learned. To screw with everyone, I suggest people in the US buy 25.4 stickers and put them on their cars.
Another metric thing- I've seen 5.56 stickers too. Maybe it's too obvious to have a sticker that says .223.

nothings wrong with metric, no one ever said that! Watch the video tho it is really funny!

Today at work, my good friend and I were doing some sanity checks. We both normally work in Imperial units, but when doing thermal calculations, I always switch to metric, as I'm not a fan of Rankine and BTU/qubit^slug units. . . When doing thermal calcs you can be OK on relative temperatures vs. absolute temps at times, but if the next calc requires absolute, keep it all the same.

My whole affliction for this came when the TI-85 calculator was incorrectly converting from F to C in its firmware. Once that happened and I lost points in college, I always do temperature related calcs in the metric system. I believe the absolute version worked with the correct order of operations, but regardless, if I'm doing thermal calculations, I work in Kelvin. . .

Attachments

• CtoF.jpg
    CtoF.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FtoC.jpg
    FtoC.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 0
Today at work, my good friend and I were doing some sanity checks. We both normally work in Imperial units, but when doing thermal calculations, I always switch to metric, as I'm not a fan of Rankine and BTU/qubit^slug units. . . When doing thermal calcs you can be OK on relative temperatures vs. absolute temps at times, but if the next calc requires absolute, keep it all the same.

My whole affliction for this came when the TI-85 calculator was incorrectly converting from F to C in its firmware. Once that happened and I lost points in college, I always do temperature related calcs in the metric system. I believe the absolute version worked with the correct order of operations, but regardless, if I'm doing thermal calculations, I work in Kelvin. . .
HP RPN for the win! 😁

We can get a whole RPN vs. Algebraic thread going, too! 😎🤓🤪🙃🤣

(Edited... How'd that angry smiley get in there?)

Last edited:
HP RPN for the win! 😁

We can get a whole RPN vs. Algebraic thread going, too! 😡😎🤓🤪🙃🤣
Next thing you know, we'll be talking about how wonderful FORTH is. (Recently started running an PDP11 simulator with RSX11M+ as the OS. FORTH is one of the few programming languages availble, along with APL, COBOL, FORTRAN, Pascal, DIBOL, DEC C, LISP, and MACRO11.)

Back