Not Another Metric Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There probably aren't too many people here who remember this guy from the underground punk scene in the late 90s.

"You are drunk with your tradition that has no validity well I'm intoxicated with sports in metrics come drink a deciliter with me we want metrics we want it now we know we can win I weigh 170 pounds that's 90 kilograms see metrics can even make you thin."

What a strange image for that article. That appears to be a photo of Phoebe, which is actually more like 60,000 bull walruses wide, but Phoebe should be around 800 billion ostrich wingspans away from Earth.
There probably aren't too many people here who remember this guy from the underground punk scene in the late 90s.

"You are drunk with your tradition that has no validity well I'm intoxicated with sports in metrics come drink a deciliter with me we want metrics we want it now we know we can win I weigh 170 pounds that's 90 kilograms see metrics can even make you thin."

170 lbs. is 77 kilograms, so actually being bad at metric makes you fat.

What a strange image for that article. That appears to be a photo of Phoebe, which is actually more like 60,000 bull walruses wide, but Phoebe should be around 800 billion ostrich wingspans away from Earth.

170 lbs. is 77 kilograms, so actually being bad at metric makes you fat.
Mrs, along with the young lady I work with are on perpetual diets. Both on a bad day weigh in the neighborhood of 100 lbs soaking wet while fully clothed. I tease both of them with my weight. Most days I am also 100! (kilograms of course, and yes, I am fat as well as bad at metric!)

Another way we get the metric system wrong in the US is calories. What we call a calorie in food is a kilocalorie in the rest of the world. Can you imagine US food producers ever changing that? That candy bar is only 220,000 calories.

Another way we get the metric system wrong in the US is calories. What we call a calorie in food is a kilocalorie in the rest of the world. Can you imagine US food producers ever changing that? That candy bar is only 220,000 calories.
Yeah. What you see are listings in C - that's capitol C - K-cals. Calories are in c - lower case c. A single calorie isn't very much energy.

This right here is why Tucker Carlson is a blithering wet dishcloth idiot. The fact that he interviewed this dolt - and took him seriously - shows me all that I need to know about TC. This is the kind of crapola that leads to flat-earth, anti-science nonsense. These two win the, "How stupid can you be?" contest.

Now I need to know what is heavier, four hamsters or one grapefruit... are the hamsters svelt or chubby? Is the grapefruit from South America or California (to be really honest, I don't actually know where grapefruit come from, but roll with me here people...)?
Furthermore, are they being carried by an African swallow or a European swallow?

temperature based on being 180 units apart for boiling & freezing water (and has no relevance to weight or, energy required, etc..)
I took a Human Factors course in college, where it was pointed out that the Fahrenheit scale actually makes more sense, as it more realistically represents the temperatures we experience in the environment. In temperate climates, it rarely gets below 0 degrees F and rarely above 100. In nature, we don't directly experience what boiling water feels like (unless you hang out in volcanos or forest fires). For science, the Kelvin scale is good.

Besides, there is no agreement whether Celsius or Centigrade is correct. I keep seeing both terms used. And, water doesn't boil at 100 C everywhere. It doesn't always freeze at 0 C either. Pilots are well aware of super-cooled water.

aRE4BNj_460s.jpg
Also, did you know that the foot was actually based on the length of king henry the 1st's foot? The inch was based on 3 grains of placed end to end, or the width of a man's thumb? Guess they didn't know that different thumbs and grains of barley can be different lengths!!

This sort of thing I kinda understand. If you just write it up as an asteroid with a weight of 104,000 tons is not going to connect with people of just how big that is.
Oh yeah, everyone has direct experience with blue whales and Empire State buildings, those things are common in everyday life really, despite being 3200 miles apart.

Back