No Instructions Required

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I have hit that point. I opened up my new LOC-IV kit and started to assemble it. After an hour, I realized I had not looked at the instruction sheet. I rummaged around for it, but it was not included with the kit. No instructions..... But that didn't stop me. It didn't even slow me down. Did inside wood glue fillets and will soon be doing outside epoxy fillets. Already plenty strong and still pretty light. Should have it completed by tomorrow. Will likely fly it Sept 3rd at METRA in NY, painted or not. And with no instructions. Glory-oskie!

Yeah, at some point instructions are overrated... Everyone eventually has "their way" of doing stuff. So once the kits are over 3inch or so; I say save the paper / trees, etc and don't print and send instructions. (Some are available online to be viewed an printed if needed. Which us nice.)

Congrats on having done enough, you didn't even look for the instructions. When you do it in your sleep, that's when you may have a problem. 😆

Oh sure, you do it and get a rocket that flies straight and true. *I* do it and end up with four miscellaneous parts and an upside-down fin. Or three. :)

I guess I have hit that point. I opened up my new LOC-IV kit and started to assemble it. After an hour, I realized I had not looked at the instruction sheet. I rummaged around for it, but it was not included with the kit. No instructions..... But that didn't stop me. It didn't even slow me down. Did inside wood glue fillets and will soon be doing outside epoxy fillets. Already plenty strong and still pretty light. Should have it completed by tomorrow. Will likely fly it Sept 3rd at METRA in NY, painted or not. And with no instructions. Glory-oskie!
I always read whatever instructions come with a thing and I’m always glad I did, since they usually reveal an interesting feature of the build or a thing to watch out for.

But I don’t think any of these that I’ve found in recent years are rocket-breakers. If anything, I’ve run into snags that aren’t covered by the instructions more often. A 3/4FNC with a plastic fin can or glue-on balsa slabs is kind of a no-brainer in the L/MPR range.

I'm kind of at that point when I get some kits, certain things get added or tossed right away. I've been putting them together too without looking at the instructions...lol. Where is METRA? I'm in Central PA(Bloomsburg)and fly with SPAAR near Lancaster now, but am going to be joining URRG in NY soon for my L1 cert and to continue going with them. MARS is another group I might join too.

Latest posts

Back