Plastic 38 to 29mm adapter???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy everyone!!
I just completed a LOC-IV Kit, and I'm kind of surprised how light it came out. I had done a T-LOC kit a few months previous, and perhaps because I used all epoxy during construction it came out much heavier. For the LOC-IV, I used mostly wood glue, and only used epoxy for the external fin fillets. As a result, I kind of wished I had given the rocket a 29mm motor mount instead of the 38mm the kit comes with.

Now, I know Estes sells plastic 18mm to 24mm adapters, and 24mm to 29mm adapters. I have the LOC "mma-2" ( I think that's what it's called) cardboard 29mm to 38mm adapter, but that won't work well with a retainer in place, it appears to stick out quite a bit as it assumes you'll be using a lot of masking tape. Does anyone make a plastic 29mm to 38mm adapter like the Estes plastic ones, which might work better with a retainer in place?
Let me know, thanks!!

Plastic retainers neeed some type of insulation to protect them from a hot aluminum motor casing, the motor casing on a Estes motors is the protection, AT and CTI casing offer no such insulation.

I have the LOC "mma-2" ( I think that's what it's called) cardboard 29mm to 38mm adapter, but that won't work well with a retainer in place, it appears to stick out quite a bit as it assumes you'll be using a lot of masking tape.

Have you looked at the Apogee one? $7

Plastic retainers neeed some type of insulation to protect them from a hot aluminum motor casing, the motor casing on a Estes motors is the protection, AT and CTI casing offer no such insulation.
That depends. I agree in general. Retainers might survive. Adaptors will not usually. The casing will melt the adaptor most of the time. The retainers, well that depends on the amount of contact with the metal motor casing.

AeroPack makes an aluminum 29-38 adapter, just found that out a few minutes ago, and nobody mentioned that one. Sheesh!!

And to be fair, you did specifically ask for plastic...
True, because I assumed *somebody* made things like Estes does. But aluminum is fine too.

Metal bits get expensive, but as long as my rocket doesn't disappear (less likely if I'm launching a 38mm Motor mounted rocket with a 29mm G rather than a true H); I should be able to recover and re-use the adapter. To be fair though, I have lost at least one of the Estes 24-29mm adapters, but the one I recall was a very unlucky "recovery" -- it landed on Power Lines.... Yeowch! I walked away and called the rocket a loss.

That depends. I agree in general. Retainers might survive. Adaptors will not usually. The casing will melt the adaptor most of the time. The retainers, well that depends on the amount of contact with the metal motor casing.
You are correct Chuck, I meant adapters not not retainers, but at this point will not go back and edit my post to correct my error since it has been pointed out, thank you. I use plastic motor retainers all the time, they work well enough, adapters well....I have used the Estes orange plastic ones with 24/40 cases once iirc and the adapter was junk afterwards (its been a while, I just remember not desiring to repeat whatever I did that destroyed the adapter).

I designed these a while back and have been using them all summer. One for fitting 29mm High Power sized aft closures and the other for Hobbyline size thrust rings. Printed with PETG and they're holding up well, even on sparky motors.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5971997
Great design! It sounds like these are working well when printed with PETG. I bet they would be even better if printed on an SLA printer. Photoresins in general, don’t melt like FDM filaments.

You are correct Chuck, I meant adapters not not retainers, but at this point will not go back and edit my post to correct my error since it has been pointed out, thank you. I use plastic motor retainers all the time, they work well enough, adapters well....I have used the Estes orange plastic ones with 24/40 cases once iirc and the adapter was junk afterwards (its been a while, I just remember not desiring to repeat whatever I did that destroyed the adapter).
I have had the same experience. I do 3D print some, and they rarely deform, but if I get them too close to the blast plate, they are toast too.

I've never had a problem using a 24/40 motor in the Estes 24/29 adapter. But a similar design for 29/38 might be another issue...

Hans.

I designed these a while back and have been using them all summer. One for fitting 29mm High Power sized aft closures and the other for Hobbyline size thrust rings. Printed with PETG and they're holding up well, even on sparky motors.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5971997
It looks like the link is for the printer files. Is there a way to get the actual adapters?

Thanks,
Hans.

It looks like the link is for the printer files. Is there a way to get the actual adapters?

Thanks,
Hans.

Easy if someone has a 3D printer, but it's understandable that not everyone has one yet :) You may have some luck searching for makerspaces near you; usually there are printers that can be used for low/no cost. There are services that will print and ship items or find a friend/coworker with a printer to knock some out.

Easy if someone has a 3D printer, but it's understandable that not everyone has one yet
A 3D printer is one of my "must-have" items before this year is over. I'm going to start looking on Craigslist as I'd rather get a lightly used one where someone bought one, printed a few things and then got bored with it and will let it go cheap.

The Estes are injection molding with a higher temperature plastic than most 3D printers use. That is comparison is different.

Back