Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
I am not very experienced with MPR, but I have recently built a 4 inch nike-smoke, but I am not usre how much BP i will need. I am using Piston ejection, any tips would be appreciated.

If your useing a AT or CTI reload the amount that comes with reload kit is plenty. Yesterday I flew a Mad Cow Rocketry 4" kit. And just went with the BP that the 3 grain 38mm reload kit had. Most of the time there's no reason to add extra powder. With the piston that will even help more with getting the chute out.
gp

I am using a cluster of an AT E-18, 2 D12' Estes, and 2 Estes C-6's. I am only using the ejection from the E-18. I end up having about 0.8 grams of BP. Is that enough

I am using a cluster of an AT E-18, 2 D12' Estes, and 2 Estes C-6's. I am only using the ejection from the E-18. I end up having about 0.8 grams of BP. Is that enough

?!?!? :confused:

Mixing BP and AP will complicate things as BP "lights" before AP does. This is a VERY unusual mixture of motors...let alone for trying to put a 4" rocket up.

Have you done any clustering before?

Well, I am going to use a comination of a First Fire and flash in the pan...how would you do it?

I have a phobia against mixing AP and BP in a cluster :D

You didn't give us a LOT of specs to go on, but I surmise that if this is reasonably to scale for a Nike Smoke, you'll be seriously lacking in thrust for a safe launch.

To add to that, if the BP's DO light earlier than the "E" (and it's likely that they will...at least some of them...), then you may get a situation where the rocket barely clears the rod and angles over about the time the AP fires causing a very unsafe situation to anyone nearby.

An "E" and 2 "D"'s is approximately an "F" (avoiding the 2 "C"'s for now...). Looking at an "F" in a 4" Nike Smoke from MadCow shows an apogee of 111 ft and a max speed of Mach 0.05.

Its not fiberglass, its phenolic and a reinforced paper cone. It weighs about 2.5 pounds fully loaded on the pad.

Given that the max recommended liftoff weight for the E-18 is 16oz., and it will be really tough to get all five of your motors working together, I wouldn't try it.

What about an E-30 and 2 E-18's? Would that be better?

That would be better - but... Yes, there's a but. With that arrangement you're dealing with two different propellants - one that lights very fast and easy, and one that gets going a bit slower and is known to be stubborn. I'd be leary of the E30 pulling the rocket away before the E18's get lit.

All of the motors are Blue thunder, and I will paint some pyrogen on each First-fire igniter. Not only that, I am using a 6 foot long 1/4 inch stainless steel launch rod.

All of the motors are Blue thunder, and I will paint some pyrogen on each First-fire igniter. Not only that, I am using a 6 foot long 1/4 inch stainless steel launch rod.

E18's are White Lightning propellant, and Blue Thunder shouldn't need any augmentation.

That would be better, but getting them to all work together might still be an issue. I would recommend changing the E18's to E28's (or better yet F39's) for stronger kick off the pad and a better chance of successful cluster ignition. With either of those configurations you are using all Blue Thunder loads, and they are your best bet for successful composite clustering.

Back