Next Up: Little Bucky Jones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my 24 mm Space Arc I used both 3/16" and 1/4" launch lugs so I'd have the option if I ever wanted to fly on something bigger than a D

Last edited by a moderator:
On the CA and balsa it does work well but in the past I would take plastic sandwich bag and put a puddle of CA on it. I would then rotate the nose cone in it to apply it evenly starting at the tip and lowering the angle until everything is covered. I would do this twice with sanding between each coat. 220 and then 320. Appling with an applicator can cause drips and runs. After which you have your choice to off products to fill any imperfections and do a final sanding and primer. It's one of the bests methods I found that works and keeps fingers from getting CA on them or anywhere it shouldn't be. I would also recommend getting sound CA de-bonder in case you do get CA on your fingers or anything else.

I used a Q-tip to apply thin CA, sanded it with 320 grit, applied another coat using same method, sanding again on the second coat, then added a 3rd coat, and did a final sand using 550 grit sandpaper. You could see very few balsa grains which were glassy looking, and easily sanded down with 550. Very strong glass-like finish that paints well. I would take lid off of thin CA, dip Q-tip in, which would give me enough to cover from the base of the nosecone to the tip about 1/3 of the entire nosecone - had a papertowel to drag along after each stroke to get any excess.

Last edited:
These felt *tiny*, thanks for helping confirm :)

This is exactly what the photos show, the extra smaller tubes just threw me for a loop.

My club has 2 racks of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" inch rods. I also built a smal, portable launcher with rods that use with my family. They might be old, but they work. I am really interested in trying smaller rail guides at some point though!

I had the same questions building mine. Layne was very quick to respond and said "...this is where you can get creative and still have a functional rocket..." basically... LOL!! I put the two 3/16" lugs side by side a 1/8" lug. I like options too... LOL!!

Attachments

• LBJ3.jpg
    LBJ3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 55
I used a Q-tip to apply thin CA, sanded it with 320 grit, applied another coat using same method, sanding again on the second coat, then added a 3rd coat, and did a final sand using 550 grit sandpaper. You could see very few balsa grains which were glassy looking, and easily sanded down with 550. Very strong glass-like finish that paints well. I would take lid off of thin CA, dip Q-tip in, which would give me enough to cover from the base of the nosecone to the tip about 1/3 of the entire nosecone - had a papertowel to drag along after each stroke to get any excess.
I've done that too , but being mindful of the little cotton strays that cab left behind. Great technique! :)

On the CA and balsa it does work well but in the past I would take plastic sandwich bag and put a puddle of CA on it. I would then rotate the nose cone in it to apply it evenly starting at the tip and lowering the angle until everything is covered. I would do this twice with sanding between each coat. 220 and then 320. Appling with an applicator can cause drips and runs. After which you have your choice to off products to fill any imperfections and do a final sanding and primer. It's one of the bests methods I found that works and keeps fingers from getting CA on them or anywhere it shouldn't be. I would also recommend getting sound CA de-bonder in case you do get CA on your fingers or anything else.
Just an FYI I store my CA in the frig. From what I understand it keeps from going bad.

Welp, I tried. I followed a thread and took a crack at CA + sanding + primer + sanding. I used a bit too much CA and it dripped down to the tape and presented some difficulty trying to get the tape off. I was nervous about removing much balsa, so I ended up with a rougher texture after the CA, but it is much harder that the raw balsa. Then I worked on a few layers of primer / sanding / primer /sanding. Learning new skills is all part of the fun though 😀

View attachment 461502 View attachment 461503 View attachment 461504

Set the primered cone aside, and now I am working on the Motor Mount. Pretty straight-forward, I like these black centering rings. This design also has no motor retention on either end of the MM, so I will be using tape rings and friction fit it would seem 🤪

View attachment 461505 View attachment 461506 View attachment 461511 View attachment 461507

Dry fit looks clean, and it almost looks like a Rocket might be coming together here.
Forgive me, but what is the purple on the nose cone? Yes I agree the black fiber center rings are very nice strong yet lite.

I think "Bucky Jones" is a mix of "Buck" Rogers and Rocky "Jones". And the rocket is generally inspired from the era when they were popular. So here I found what I think is the first rocket launch in a Rocky Jones episode.

I'm severely torn between the Kraken and the Space Ark @Cape Byron!

Kraken. Kraken. Kraken!

I have a connection to that kit; I did some of the illustrations for Layne. That nonsense aside, its tube fins are brilliantly executed and it flies like a dream. Just a gorgeous piece of work from a great designer.

I had the same questions building mine. Layne was very quick to respond and said "...this is where you can get creative and still have a functional rocket..." basically... LOL!! I put the two 3/16" lugs side by side a 1/8" lug. I like options too... LOL!!

You make me so proud...
*sniff*

Kraken. Kraken. Kraken!

I have a connection to that kit; I did some of the illustrations for Layne. That nonsense aside, its tube fins are brilliantly executed and it flies like a dream. Just a gorgeous piece of work from a great designer.

Nonsense? Your illustrations are beautiful and will continue to be used for the life of the kit. You contribution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words. She is my secret favorite. Don't tell the others.

Last edited:
Ha, this thread popped up and I just ordered a Little Bucky for my son to give as a Christmas gift. Someone at the club launch a couple weekends ago had the Bucky Jones and my kid loved it. He'll be tickled to get this.

I think "Bucky Jones" is a mix of "Buck" Rogers and Rocky "Jones". And the rocket is generally inspired from the era when they were popular. So here I found what I think is the first rocket launch in a Rocky Jones episode.

Oh no!
I have been outed! No one was supposed to figure that out. Well, it is a good thing we have Ninja Llamas to take care of these matters.
Look! There is one now! ---------->

Back