Newbie question about painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlasboy

Reaction score
In several places on my current build I want to paint a 2 inch silver band/circle around the diameter of the rocket. This will contrast with the purple base coat.

Here is the stupid question. How do I make a level stripe around the diameter of the rocket that I can then mask off? I'm sure there is some simple trick for this. . .

The easiest way would be to measure from one end of the body tune to where you want the stripe ,and make pencil marks all around the circumference.Then take your tape of choice (Tamiya tape is great for this ,but 3M Blue will do) and carefully wrap it around using the pencil marks as a guide.You will then do the same for the outer edge of your stripe and again ,follow the marks.Be sure to burnish down the tape ,to avoid bleed through under the edge of the tape (Again ,Tamiya tape rules for this)

Then do another wrap of tape ,slightly overlapping the pevious ,and then use brown paper (or similar) to cover the rest of the rocket to avoid overspray.You may use newspaper ,but it is very porous ,so you`ll need several wraps to avoid the paint from bleeding through the paper (you can also use plastic trash bags or similar.

HTH

Paul T

The easiest way would be to measure from one end of the body tune to where you want the stripe ,and make pencil marks all around the circumference.Then take your tape of choice (Tamiya tape is great for this ,but 3M Blue will do) and carefully wrap it around using the pencil marks as a guide.You will then do the same for the outer edge of your stripe and again ,follow the marks.Be sure to burnish down the tape ,to avoid bleed through under the edge of the tape (Again ,Tamiya tape rules for this)

Then do another wrap of tape ,slightly overlapping the pevious ,and then use brown paper (or similar) to cover the rest of the rocket to avoid overspray.You may use newspaper ,but it is very porous ,so you`ll need several wraps to avoid the paint from bleeding through the paper (you can also use plastic trash bags or similar.

HTH

Paul T

Like this?

... How do I make a level stripe around the diameter of the rocket that I can then mask off? I'm sure there is some simple trick for this. . .

I like to use a strip of paper to set the line. A strip of paper (with a straight edge, of course), carefully overlapped with the edges properly aligned, will provide a circumferential line perpendicular to the axis of the airframe. Once that's marked, the line can be masked off and you're good to go. I use the same method to place the line where I wish to cut a body tube, and also to place trim tape and decals.

The photos below show a strip being used to mark a tube cutting line; the second is a shot of some painted bands, laid out with this little technique.

John

I do what John does and use the cardstock from file folders. I'll cut a piece off and be sure to cut a wavy line on the edge of the card stock material that is not the straight side. If I don't do that then sometimes the cut edge looks just as good as the uncut, and straight, edge and I'm not sure which edge I should use.

With results like this? :grin:

Attachments

• Sparrow 411.jpg
    Sparrow 411.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
Back