New u-blox baed BeeLine GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredbee

Reaction score
Changes to 70cm BeeLine GPS
October 9, 2012

BigRedBee has recently completed the transition to a new version of the
70cm Beeline GPS. Major highlights include a new u-blox NEO-6 GPS module
as well as a 100mw amplified version.

The 50-channel u-blox NEO-6 offers increased GPS receiver sensitivity resulting
in quicker lock times and the ability to lock indoors. Lock times after
motor burnout are vastly improved, and flights with low thrust profiles may
maintain a continuous GPS lock. The NEO-6 package is more physically robust
than the Trimble Lassen IQ previously used, eliminating the 8-pin surface
mount connector that was a common failure point. The active ceramic GPS
patch antenna connects to the board via a standard u.fl, allowing easy
antenna replacement for custom applications.

The new 70cm BeeLine GPS also incorporates 1M-bit of non-voltile storage for
in-flight recording of latitude, longitude and altitude. Eight times larger
than the previous version, it can store slightly more than 2.5 hours of
data compared to 20 minutes on the original. Because storage times are
dramatically increased, the g-switch option has been eliminated.

A new 100mw amplified version has been added. The additional power enables
flights in excess of 250K' AGL vs 75K' of the original unit. Power
consumption is approximately two times higher than the low power version
(resulting in a battery life of approximately 10 hours) but all other
features remain unchanged. It is not possible to upgrade the 16mw version
to the 100mw version. This 100mw device was used on the flight that captured the
Carmack Prize.

70cm BeeLine GPS 16mw
=====================
Size: 28mm x 63mm
Weight: 44 grams including 850 mah battery
Battery life: Approximately 20 hours transmitting once every 5 seconds.

70cm BeeLine GPS 100mw
=====================

Size: 31mm x 74mm
Weight: 46 grams including 850 mah battery
Battery life: Approximately 10 hours transmitting once every 5 seconds.

Very nice. Sounds like a very promising product.

It is. I've used the u-blox version twice now including my Balls flight over 52k feet. Both flights regained lock during ascent very quickly. I'm probably going to buy another one soon.

Would I be correct in assuming that this is the version I bought from you at balls?

Looks cool! Is there a software launch detect? Or do we need to plan on a way to apply power relatively soon before launch? And I assume we'll be able to ask it to stop acquiring after the memory has wrapped?

There is no launch detect mechanism on this model. The 1mbit memory, however, can store about 2 1/2 hours of data, 8 times more than the 20 minutes of the original. So, the logic goes that you don't need a launch detect, instead just make sure to launch it w/in 2 1/2 hours of applying power.

The option to stop when the end of memory is reached, or wrap around to the beginning are still there.

There is no launch detect mechanism on this model. The 1mbit memory, however, can store about 2 1/2 hours of data, 8 times more than the 20 minutes of the original. So, the logic goes that you don't need a launch detect, instead just make sure to launch it w/in 2 1/2 hours of applying power.

That means, for me at least, that I'll need to have some way to externally activate the power.

Greg, can the output power on the 100mw unit be adjusted through the interface app like the older 70 cm GPS units?

Chuck

you can, but there's not much benefit. It would still consume about the same amount of power as the power control is for RF chip, and doesn't affect the amplifier which has a constant gain.

Flew my new model GPS yesterday, and it recorded both flights, in one shot. No need to turn off the transmitter, then turn it back on later -- pretty slick!

-Kevin

As a curiosity, if it's set to stop recording (aka not loop memory), does it keep transmitting it's current position after the memory runs out? For example if a rocket goes down behind a ridge, and it takes more than 2.5hrs from power-on to get to the rocket, will it still be transmitting, or is it a blind search at that point?

It will always transmit its current position, no matter what the state of memory. If it loses lock, it will transmit the last known good position. If lock is regained, it will start sending current position once again.

Just got my new 100mw version charged up and turned on. After a little bit of reminding myself how to use my radio, it works. Very quick to acquire lock once I brought it outside and it even had a lock when I brought it back inside 10' from any window in the basement. I think I'll be adding a magnetic switch or something inline with the battery so I can power it up at the pad, but that's minor. I'll be testing it out to about a mile this weekend then hopefully taking advantage of the boosted power output later this year.

You can install a switch in one of two ways.

1) Hack into the battery cable
or
2)There are two pads/holes to the left of the 3-pin battery connector. If you look at the back of the board, you'll see a small trace connecting the two pads. Cut the trace, and install your switch here. When the switch is closed, it will allow power to flow to the rest of the circuit -- it's connected to the output of the battery.

Greg

Flew my new model GPS yesterday, and it recorded both flights, in one shot. No need to turn off the transmitter, then turn it back on later -- pretty slick!

-Kevin

Is this because you flew both flights w/in the 2.5 hour window? Or did you clear the "overwrite on poweron" option? Please send me the KML file.

Greg

Oh cool. That's actually really convenient. I'm not sure exactly what my needs are going to be yet, but I think one of Adrian's magnetic switches may be useful. In that case, I'd also need easy access to the ground and building a small cable that plugged into the connectors on the board and battery would allow a bit more flexibility.

Oh cool. That's actually really convenient. I'm not sure exactly what my needs are going to be yet, but I think one of Adrian's magnetic switches may be useful. In that case, I'd also need easy access to the ground and building a small cable that plugged into the connectors on the board and battery would allow a bit more flexibility.

Hmmmm, there's no empty hole that's ground (but the shell of the SMA connector is a large target). That's good feedback for future versions of the board. The right-most pin on the 3-pin battery connector is unused -- not sure if would help to connect this to the left-most pin to give you and extra ground -- contact "off-forum" if you want to discuss the options.

Is it common or preferred to use boththe gps unit and the Rf beacon in the same rocket?

I've never flown both unless it was one in each of two stages. Others have used it as backup.

Andrew, Nate has one rigged up on his BPS that he uses in RS3 -- I'm sure he'd tell you how he decided to wire it up.

-Kevin

You can install a switch in one of two ways.

1) Hack into the battery cable
or
2)There are two pads/holes to the left of the 3-pin battery connector. If you look at the back of the board, you'll see a small trace connecting the two pads. Cut the trace, and install your switch here. When the switch is closed, it will allow power to flow to the rest of the circuit -- it's connected to the output of the battery.

Greg
Greg
Does this work on the BRB900 too?

If I where purchasing this new 900MHZ option, would I just select the old option on the webstore labeled "BRB 900 MHZ Transmitter", also is the receiver the same option?

BLKKROW, please contact me via email, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "old option". All new BRB900's that are shipped contain the u-blox GPS.

greg @ bigredbee.com

Last edited:
BLKKROW, please contact me via email, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "old option". All new BRB900's that are shipped contain the u-blox GPS.

greg @ bigredbee.com

I have been meaning to ask that same question. The info on your website still refers to the BRB900 using the Lassen IQ GPS. OK, I need to get off my butt and order one of these. The wife keeps telling me to buy some rocketry stuff for her to use as Christmas presents!

I have been meaning to ask that same question. The info on your website still refers to the BRB900 using the Lassen IQ GPS. OK, I need to get off my butt and order one of these. The wife keeps telling me to buy some rocketry stuff for her to use as Christmas presents!

I am asking this, on your website it still refers to the Lassen IQ GPS. I am looking to purchase the new unit in the begining of the year. But do not want to purchase old stock.

Back