New MissleWorks RRC3 altimeter + LCD !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...we'll have to see. Since we just got the new car I'm not sure how much of a hobby budget I'm going to have for a while, if any. Hopefully I can work something out when these finally become available but it's way too early to tell.

Aw crap! ANOTHER altimeter! A very cool altimeter,nonetheless. I should open a frickin' museum. I own the very first altimeter- a rock tied to a stopwatch....
(Next 3 builds on hold for this)

Last edited:
So what are the differences between this unit and something like the PerfectFlite Stratologger (other than $7.01) ?

Where did you come up with that price? Did I miss something somewhere?

I think there is another thread where prices were listed. $65 for RRC3, and I think $30 for the LCD(rounded to the dollar). Not sure about the data cable, haven't seen a price on that.

Dealers: Let me know when you are ready to sell!!! I am ready to buy. PM me. I will send you an email address. ;)

I will probably sell cheap or give away one RRC2 once I have the replacement RRC3. It's not like I don't have enough altimeters. :eek: :grin::wink:

And the RRC2s work great and are very simply to use.

Now why does a vendor have to contact you; shouldn't be the other way around? :facepalm:
If a vendor sent out PM's and e-mail to every Jack and Jill they would be labeled as a spammer.
Not to mention time consuming.

JD

Dealers: Let me know when you are ready to sell!!! I am ready to buy. PM me. I will send you an email address. ;)

I will probably sell cheap or give away one RRC2 once I have the replacement RRC3. It's not like I don't have enough altimeters. :eek: :grin::wink:

And the RRC2s work great and are very simply to use.

So what are the differences between this unit and something like the PerfectFlite Stratologger (other than $7.01) ?

More outputs on the RRC3, there are also features to this that let you use it for smart staging. You can also configure the RRC3 to use a slightly different tone, so if you have two of them in the same bay, you can tell them apart.

LCD to review data, test the altimeter, change configuration. T Or, you can use the software, or you can do it via the altimeter, similar to the RRC2 Mini.

The RRC3 is also loud -- no more struggling to hear beeps! I counted beeps on mine from 10 feet away, the first time I flew it. Crazy Jim has been an alpha tester, and his hearing isn't the best, and he's having no problems hearing it.

How much are the data interface and LCD? (realizing that you only need to buy one of each)

I think there is another thread where prices were listed. $65 for RRC3, and I think $30 for the LCD(rounded to the dollar). Not sure about the data cable, haven't seen a price on that.

Correct -- $64.95 for the altimeter, $29.95 for the LCD. Interface board price hasn't been announced, yet.

-Kevin

More outputs on the RRC3, there are also features to this that let you use it for smart staging. You can also configure the RRC3 to use a slightly different tone, so if you have two of them in the same bay, you can tell them apart.

LCD to review data, test the altimeter, change configuration. T Or, you can use the software, or you can do it via the altimeter, similar to the RRC2 Mini.

The RRC3 is also loud -- no more struggling to hear beeps! I counted beeps on mine from 10 feet away, the first time I flew it. Crazy Jim has been an alpha tester, and his hearing isn't the best, and he's having no problems hearing it.

Thanks Kevin. This is the kind of information that I was looking for.

To expound on what Kevin has already iterated on the specific differences:

- The DIP interface is wonderfully easy to operate and gives access to a LOT of settings, data, and diagnostics vs. selecting a preset.
- Both units provide an AGL telemetry stream, but the RRC3 has more data items available, including an event relative timestamp, velocity, events, and temperature.
- This telemetry stream will optionally overlay with GPS using the to-be-released telemetry/GPS module that's already in prototype.
- The 3rd output mentioned by Kevin is very versatile, and will support a "daisy-chainable" pyro expansion board, direct-wire 3rd terminal e-match, or a low cost DIY wire harness.
- The RRC3 stores 16 flights @ ~24 minutes vs. 31 flights @ ~9 minutes.
- Both units are 24mm friendly, but the RRC3 is an inch longer to accommodate all the expansion connections.
- The RRC3 also has a standard status LED, and we'll provide a version where this LED can be remote mounted.
- Max Altitude as calculated by the RRC3 applies a user adjustable humidity factor.

Last edited:
I am in on this big time. The biggest reason is the reported loud beep, something I need in a huge way.

"What was that you say?"..........

..................... can't here you over this darn loud beeping.....coming out of my rocket....LOL

PS. The Bright red LED on the altimeter, blinks with the beeper. A hole placed properly in your Av-bay and you can see the continuity blinked out. There is also a solder pad, which you can solder a wire to an LED mounted on your vent band to see an external blinking if you wish to add that.

So realistically you have to be totally deaf AND blind, not to get a continuity reading.

Last edited:
Oh please hurry! I've cut back on all non essentials to save for this-the wife is starting to complain about the dry cat food. The cat moved after he got tired of ice cubes for dinner....

$100 already allocated. If it's more, I'll eat dry cat food at fyrwrxz's place until I save the rest...

Jeff- you are invited! I'm having the water turned back on so we can celebrate together and have it with gravy tonite! Bring a candle if you want yours warm.....

Haha! Dude, I'm IN!
But...shouldn't we celebrate AFTER we secure the RRC3's?

I put my money on next week!
A certain event that TRF members attend is coming up....:wink:

JD

Beta hardware and software has been sent out for final test and feedback. If you are flying this weekend or next you may be seeing one at your local launch.

Back