New Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmhopkins

Reaction score
Finally broke down and created my own launch pad so I can set up my own away pad for tomorrow's MDRA launch.

It's adjustable on 1 axis and will be ratcheted down for stability.

2015-09-19 12.59.04.jpg

20150919_140028.jpg

Inside braces are removable and very tight and can be clamped down if necessary.

Last edited:
Not bad. How many straps you going to hold it down with?

4 straps coming down 45°ish from top of the base, and 4 stakes at the base holding the bottom down. I might throw some weight on the bottom as well for the heck of it.

I've only been to the sod farm a couple of times, but it didn't seem like there was a shortage of pads the days I was there. Is there a specific reason you want your own pad?

With launching under research motors I want to get some more distance. I can arm and ignite my main engine remotely, and because I like building things :)

On a down note I was doing some prep work for tomorrow and just fried my transceiver. Have to wait for a week for a new one to ship. Irritating.

Yeah, the wife has noticed that I always need a project, otherwise I go a little stir crazy.

I think I'll top the stand with plywood too. Give it a more finished appearance.

Very nice! I like! :)

How about a 3' square piece of exterior grade plywood for a base? You can use wingnuts to fasten it on, have holes on the corners for the stakes (if you want) or just pile bricks/pavers on top. Should fit in the back seat as well. :)

The wood squeezes the rail in place by friction/C-clamps. The bottom and top of the rail can be adjusted forward or backward before clamping/bracing the rail to immobilize it. I hope that explains it :)

I feel the straps won't be in direct fire of the exhaust and should be fine, but I do have some steel cabling I can use as spacers.

Back