New homemade launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigel

Reaction score
Re-entering this hobby, I was a bit disappointed in available launch pads.

Being an amateur astronomer with tripods all over the house I rigged this up.

It will accept any size rods, easy to level and adjustable height :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_115409777_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220705_115409777_HDR.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 2
Re-entering this hobby, I was a bit disappointed in available launch pads.

Being an amateur astronomer with tripods all over the house I rigged this up.

It will accept any size rods, easy to level and adjustable height :)

My only recommendation would be a larger blast deflector to minimize the amount of stuff getting on the aluminum. BP or APCP residue on aluminum can make things get pretty corroded and a bigger blast plate is at least a bit of insurance to keep your nice stuff nice for longer.

Sandy.

My only recommendation would be a larger blast deflector to minimize the amount of stuff getting on the aluminum. BP or APCP residue on aluminum can make things get pretty corroded and a bigger blast plate is at least a bit of insurance to keep your nice stuff nice for longer.

Sandy.
Good idea, that's an easy upgrade :)

I like ceramic tiles. They don't short out the clips when they drop during launch. Don't breath the dust when you're drilling holes in them...
I like them too but found they work better when glued to a plywood backing. They tend to last a lot longer that way. Still can't beat a sheet of SST though.

Looks like an early Celestron CG 4 type tripod. Just remember to get a good Polar alignment before launch.

Mark C

I ordered a keyless drill chuck off of eBay that has a 3/8 - 24 female thread in it and got a proper bolt and converted my new tripod over so that I could put any size rod in it very quickly.
ufrLGfV.jpg

Last edited:
Back