NEW 8" GIZMO XL FROM PERFORMANCE ROCKETRY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary
It's All your fault, at least that's what I tell my wife.

Got out some of the crash and Cato'd I1299 races LDRS 29 rockets and got enough to make one good one. Using CJ's booster section and a nose cone from Tim's, a little epoxy , some fiberglass cloth, repaired the fins and NC. So I guess I now have a 6" Gizmo , but with a 75mm motor mount(that's CJ ), just a little work on the NC for a AV bay and she be ready

Think I'll call it "BOOM II" :y:

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but how are you going to wire from the alt to the main chute tube to push the main out?

-Dave

Dave:
For the main charge I plan to use a plastic container such as the ones that come filled with BP with the AT loads. You 1 drill a small hole in the container, Thread an E-Match through the hole and add the appropriate amount of BP, Snap the lid shut and place it in the bottom of the 4" tube.

The E-match lead is long enough to come up out of the tube, You then connect it to the wire connector on the electronics lid.

Don:
OK you blame me and I'll blame you, I doubt either of our wives will be reading the forums any time soon LOL.

Gorgeous build Gary. I'll have to get one of these to go with my X-celerator!

Dave

Shhh dont tell the wife pulled the trigger on my order today plus aeropac retainer and adapter to 54 :duck::duck::dark::wink::dark:

Last edited:
First flight of the GIZMO XL was today at the CMASS launch in Amesbury MA.

The flight and more importantly the recovery was picture perfect, Went up on a CTI 54mm 6G K660CL to 3321' Red Glare it gets a 3G 75mm load.

VIDEO

You sure like those Classic loads, don't you? ;)

Looks great! Can't wait to see her go at RG. :)

An awesome lift off pic from Bill Spadafora, Thanks Bill.

IMGP3060.jpg

Gary

You had a picture perfect flight, and your dual deployment setup was very well done. The recovery was really impressive as you landed only 1000' feet from the pad after a 1 km apogee. Well done.

Bob

it definitely looked majestic ripping through the sky. my favorite flight of the day.

First flight of the GIZMO XL was today at the CMASS launch in Amesbury MA.

The flight and more importantly the recovery was picture perfect, Went up on a CTI 54mm 6G K660CL to 3321' Red Glare it gets a 3G 75mm load.

Gary,
Most excellent flight and recovery….

Fred

Thanks Guys... The Gizmo XL really is a cool rocket, Looking forward to putting in a biggger motor at Red Glare 11.

I just watched the video of which led me to another one that captured your rocket from a different angle... did it get stuck up in a tree as indicated within the second video?

Congratulations on your prefect flight! and the picture that you captured is really cool!

I just watched the video of which led me to another one that captured your rocket from a different angle... did it get stuck up in a tree as indicated within the second video?

No It just draped itself over this shrub, Just unhooked the shock Cord and pulled it through.

GizT.JPG

Here is another Video

Last edited:
I'm guessing you do not have a problem with this; but it seems like some of the deployment charge gas/fumes could get into the nosecone through the static ports. Is this an issue? I guess if the nosecone/airframe fit is tight then no problem. Thanks for this thread, I have a 5" Gizmo, I'm going to try to replicate you DD setup.

Joe:
No not a problem at all, I assume your talking about the drogue charge? You'd most likely get more gasses in the Av-Bay chamber in your standard DD set up with it in the coupler than this way.

The NC is a pretty tight fit and once the charge goes off the NC only has to move approx 1/4" before the Static port holes are sealed off by the BT, This all happens in the fraction of a second so no issues to be had.

Figured out what the Gizmo XL will be going up on at Red Glare XI, A brand New CTI DEMO load, The 3G 75mm L1350 C-Star!!

Should prove to be a an awesome flight.

Beautiful liftoff pic from Bill, Gary. Love those mach diamonds in the exhaust.

Figured out what the Gizmo XL will be going up on at Red Glare XI, A brand New CTI DEMO load, The 3G 75mm L1350 C-Star!!

Should prove to be a an awesome flight.

Man, you're getting all the fun at RG! Can't wait!

Back